Marlins shopping Treanor to sign Pudge?

Lane1974

meh

According to league sources, for a little more than a week the Marlins have been shopping catcher Matt Treanor. The team initiated talks with several clubs they felt were in the market for catchers.

Treanor, who underwent surgery on his left hip area after the season, is expected to be ready for Spring Training. Reports have already linked Treanor possibly heading to the Pirates or Tigers.

Entering his second season of arbitration, Treanor could make about $900,000 or $1 million, a price the Marlins don't seem to want to pay. John Baker has the edge to be the starting catcher. However, there is speculation from a league source that the Marlins are positioning themselves to pursue Ivan Rodriguez in free agency. Pudge, of course, was Florida's catcher on the 2003 World Series title team.

-- Joe Frisaro

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/...ng_treanor.html

If we sign Pudge, is he willing to accept that he will not be our starting catcher? Shake and Bake!

You'd probably expect at least a 50/50 split if they were to do something like that. Which is probably not a bad thing. They wouldn't be paying him probably around $3-4 million to sit around and do nothing.

Fun fact. In 2007 Pudge hit .302/.302/.444 (.766) vs LHP. Yes, he did not take a walk in 126 PA.

Gee, heaven forbid we have some real competition for the position during spring training.

I'm open to how ever the Front Office decides to proceed, which doesn't mean I'll agree, but signing Pudge is a clear signal they are going for it in 2009. Baker did a great job offensively and an okay job behind the plate, he has his strengths and weaknesses there. As long as the team doesn't wind up with a Ramon Hernandez type, whatever they do, will be better than doing nothing.

Personally I don't see how any team takes a chance on Treanor until he runs through some drills or otherwise shows he is again healthy.

Personally I don't see how any team takes a chance on Treanor until he runs through some drills or otherwise shows he is again healthy.

For sure. You have to view this as the Marlins trying to get a single A player with a heartbeat versus simply DFAing him, assuming Pudge/another catcher is in the works.

Gee, heaven forbid we have some real competition for the position during spring training.

I'm open to how ever the Front Office decides to proceed, which doesn't mean I'll agree, but signing Pudge is a clear signal they are going for it in 2009. Baker did a great job offensively and an okay job behind the plate, he has his strengths and weaknesses there. As long as the team doesn't wind up with a Ramon Hernandez type, whatever they do, will be better than doing nothing.

What do you mean by going to it? I feel like if they were really going for it in 2009, they might have considered holding onto Willingham/Olsen (although I'm probably discounting the chance that they really liked the return because I didn't like it). Also, this team may have an even brighter future going into 2010, 2011, 2012, than it has today, so I'm not sure why they would feel the need to "go for it."

Unless of course by "go for it" you mean spending a few extra million on a position where they feel like they have a strong need, in which case I'm all for it.