Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ortiz's Comments on Roid-Busting

Featured Replies

It wouldn't be suprising to see his name on that list, But a year is a bit much 50 games is pretty reasonable and repeated offense will be further charged.

  • Author

It wouldn't be suprising to see his name on that list, But a year is a bit much 50 games is pretty reasonable and repeated offense will be further charged.

 

Lol me neither, though I dont think its a bit much at all. If you want to stop it... thats how.

Ortiz doesn't look like a person who took roids. He's a bit chunkier than he is muscular.

This could be really embarrassing if he is one of the 103 and people find out.

 

 

i thought the exact same thing...i really hope he isnt on roids....he's one of my favorites.

How is 50 games to much...how is 1year to much...your not supposed to do it period...You get caught you should be banned....

 

Just like the B.S. laws we have...there been people that kill people and get out in a couple of years...If you Murder someone your a** should be in jail for life....

 

You want to get rid of it forever...then make the penalty forever....watch and see how fast the % goes down....

How is 50 games to much...how is 1year to much...your not supposed to do it period...You get caught you should be banned....

 

Just like the B.S. laws we have...there been people that kill people and get out in a couple of years...If you Murder someone your a** should be in jail for life....

 

You want to get rid of it forever...then make the penalty forever....watch and see how fast the % goes down....

 

Yeh one of the things I've heard which I cant accept to be true is that you can be handed a much longer jail sentence for downloading 1 song illegally than if you rape somebody. It's a disgrace.

How is 50 games to much...how is 1year to much...your not supposed to do it period...You get caught you should be banned....

 

Just like the B.S. laws we have...there been people that kill people and get out in a couple of years...If you Murder someone your a** should be in jail for life....

 

You want to get rid of it forever...then make the penalty forever....watch and see how fast the % goes down....

The problem is that

#1 - This doesn't harm anyone in the way murder, assault, rape, theft, etc, hurt people.

#2 - We all don't really care about this. If you really cared about it (for example) you would have nothing to do with players or teams that used - not watching or going to games they play in, etc. Most of us don't feel that strongly or care at all about it.

#3 - There is also the fact that what is and isn't a banned substance changes frequently, and most players aren't medical doctors or health professionals. I do believe that it is not at all uncommon for players to have used supplements and other such products believing there was nothing wrong with them when in fact they contained banned substances. And in those cases, I don't think it fair or productive to throw those guys out of the game.

How is 50 games to much...how is 1year to much...your not supposed to do it period...You get caught you should be banned....

 

Just like the B.S. laws we have...there been people that kill people and get out in a couple of years...If you Murder someone your a** should be in jail for life....

 

You want to get rid of it forever...then make the penalty forever....watch and see how fast the % goes down....

The problem is that

#1 - This doesn't harm anyone in the way murder, assault, rape, theft, etc, hurt people.

#2 - We all don't really care about this. If you really cared about it (for example) you would have nothing to do with players or teams that used - not watching or going to games they play in, etc. Most of us don't feel that strongly or care at all about it.

#3 - There is also the fact that what is and isn't a banned substance changes frequently, and most players aren't medical doctors or health professionals. I do believe that it is not at all uncommon for players to have used supplements and other such products believing there was nothing wrong with them when in fact they contained banned substances. And in those cases, I don't think it fair or productive to throw those guys out of the game.

 

 

I disagree. If an athlete commits a wrongdoing, that doesn't cause the average fan to lose their passion for that particular sport. I, as an avid baseball fan, am dissapointed at all of the steroid/HGH allegations, but that doesn't make me want to stop paying attention to baseball altogether. Most of us care somewhat about it, its just that we don't let it effect our passion towards the sport, just the players.

If you don't care enough for it to change your behavior then you don't care enough for them to change their behavior. All these congressional inquiries and investigations and now prosecutions are examples of government wasting money to do things that aren't their job.

 

Seriously, where were you and how did you feel when the whole McGwire/Sosa HR race was going on? What did you do about it when Barry passed them both and passed Ruth & Aaron? If you had the chance, would you have gone to the game where he broke the record and tried to catch that HR ball, or would you have nothing to do with it?

If you don't care enough for it to change your behavior then you don't care enough for them to change their behavior. All these congressional inquiries and investigations and now prosecutions are examples of government wasting money to do things that aren't their job.

 

Seriously, where were you and how did you feel when the whole McGwire/Sosa HR race was going on? What did you do about it when Barry passed them both and passed Ruth & Aaron? If you had the chance, would you have gone to the game where he broke the record and tried to catch that HR ball, or would you have nothing to do with it?

 

 

I don't see how the any of that even makes sense or if it is even relevant. The only thing that is in my hands is if I decide to follow the sport or not. I don't have any control over these players actions, nor do I plan on plan on basing my actions off of the players behavioral decisions. To answer your question, I was simply disappointed when Bonds broke the home run record, as I was when I found out about any other steroid cases, nothing more. If there is one thing I won't do though, that is quitting on the sport. If all sports followers based their passion for a particular sport on what the players do off the field, then every sport's fan base would be in jeopardy. To say that someone must stop watching baseball because certain players cheated the game in order to "care" about what the players did is propostorous. If nobody cared, then steroid allegations wouldn't be making the news at all. When Pete Rose cheated the game of baseball, did you stop watching the game? Obviously, you didn't, so I guess I have the ability to say that you could care less if someone was betting illegally on games, right?

I don't see how the any of that even makes sense or if it is even relevant. The only thing that is in my hands is if I decide to follow the sport or not. I don't have any control over these players actions, nor do I plan on plan on basing my actions off of the players behavioral decisions. To answer your question, I was simply disappointed when Bonds broke the home run record, as I was when I found out about any other steroid cases, nothing more. If there is one thing I won't do though, that is quitting on the sport. If all sports followers based their passion for a particular sport on what the players do off the field, then every sport's fan base would be in jeopardy. To say that someone must stop watching baseball because certain players cheated the game in order to "care" about what the players did is propostorous. If nobody cared, then steroid allegations wouldn't be making the news at all. When Pete Rose cheated the game of baseball, did you stop watching the game? Obviously, you didn't, so I guess I have the ability to say that you could care less if someone was betting illegally on games, right?

And if you said that then you would be right. I don't care, and I don't think any sort of gambling should be illegal. Just because the media says I should be outraged for me to watch their coverage doesn't make me outraged, the same with when congress decides they want to throw away our money to hire their friends as investigators to look into these "scandals".

 

And again that's all fine and good, but do be logical for a moment and just answer this question - If you do not feel strongly enough about this subject to change your own behavior in any way, why do you think your feelings are strong enough to justify the players and owners changing their behavior? If you are even willing to admit that you will watch the game no matter what, then what difference does it make if everyone is juicing till their head is the size of home plate? Why shouldn't they? What is the objective reason?

There's other leagues than MLB you can watch. Giving up on MLB is not giving up on baseball.

I don't see how the any of that even makes sense or if it is even relevant. The only thing that is in my hands is if I decide to follow the sport or not. I don't have any control over these players actions, nor do I plan on plan on basing my actions off of the players behavioral decisions. To answer your question, I was simply disappointed when Bonds broke the home run record, as I was when I found out about any other steroid cases, nothing more. If there is one thing I won't do though, that is quitting on the sport. If all sports followers based their passion for a particular sport on what the players do off the field, then every sport's fan base would be in jeopardy. To say that someone must stop watching baseball because certain players cheated the game in order to "care" about what the players did is propostorous. If nobody cared, then steroid allegations wouldn't be making the news at all. When Pete Rose cheated the game of baseball, did you stop watching the game? Obviously, you didn't, so I guess I have the ability to say that you could care less if someone was betting illegally on games, right?

And if you said that then you would be right. I don't care, and I don't think any sort of gambling should be illegal. Just because the media says I should be outraged for me to watch their coverage doesn't make me outraged, the same with when congress decides they want to throw away our money to hire their friends as investigators to look into these "scandals".

 

And again that's all fine and good, but do be logical for a moment and just answer this question - If you do not feel strongly enough about this subject to change your own behavior in any way, why do you think your feelings are strong enough to justify the players and owners changing their behavior? If you are even willing to admit that you will watch the game no matter what, then what difference does it make if everyone is juicing till their head is the size of home plate? Why shouldn't they? What is the objective reason?

 

 

Your first question could have multiple meanings. If I am correct about what the question specifically means, then I would say that the players changing their behavior is justified because they are changing for the ethically right reason. Whether they are telling the truth about changing their methods, that is not for me to judge. It makes a huge difference though, if everyone suddenly starts to cheat their way to/through the big leagues. In one sense, I would be able to enjoy not only watching the game, but I would feel satisfied with the on-field performance and character of a specific player. If everyone is juicing, then I would be watching the sport without receiving the chance to form any type of relationship with a player, and I would feel ashamed for the game of baseball, but I would still watch it because I love the sport. Each person has a different view on this issue, but I would suggest that you do not generalize when you try to make an assumption.

There's other leagues than MLB you can watch. Giving up on MLB is not giving up on baseball.

 

 

Such as?

 

 

Independant, High school, College, Nippon, Domincans, ect ect ect ect

 

hell there's even little league

There's other leagues than MLB you can watch. Giving up on MLB is not giving up on baseball.

 

 

Such as?

 

 

Independant, High school, College, Nippon, Domincans, ect ect ect ect

 

hell there's even little league

 

 

All of which I would never be able to view/follow as I do with the MLB.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.