Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will the new stadium double up as a concert venue?

Featured Replies

Hey guys. I know this isn't sports-related. But I was remembering how U2 played at the Orange Bowl decades ago, and how The Police played at Dolphin Stadium a few years back. So I just had to start this discussion.

 

Will the new stadium also become a concert venue for huge international music artists?

 

A lot of big concerts took place in the Orange Bowl back in the '80s. Now, sometimes big concerts come to Dolphin Stadium- as Madonna was there last fall.

 

So what is the likelihood that the new stadium will end up hosting large-scale concerts?

 

Thanks for your input, guys.

I'm sure it will hold some concerts, but there really are no acts touring these days that can sell out stadiums. Plus this area has a ton of concert venues (AAA, BAC, Bank United Center, Hard Rock, etc.). What the stadium will host is big events such as the World Baseball Classic finals, NCAA Final Fours, etc. Those are big time events that will bring in major tourist dollars to the city and county.

Actually, the Marlins and government officials have all said the stadium could be used for concerts and stuff. And truth be told, there are actually a lot of acts signing up to perform in venues like this. I think it was Bruce Springsteen who actually did a baseball stadium tour a few years back ... wasn't that long ago. But there are lots of acts playing in these types of stadiums. So this thing would have a function outside of the baseball season.

Thats what I dont nuderstand about the stadium nay-sayers... They seem to not grasp the fact that a venue like this is multi-purpose... But then again, you will NEVER catch them saying that it wont generate money only that tax dollars shouldnt be used... No basis to that argument

I'm sure it will hold some concerts, but there really are no acts touring these days that can sell out stadiums. Plus this area has a ton of concert venues (AAA, BAC, Bank United Center, Hard Rock, etc.). What the stadium will host is big events such as the World Baseball Classic finals, NCAA Final Fours, etc. Those are big time events that will bring in major tourist dollars to the city and county.

Well, Madonna played the DS just last year and The Police played there the year before.

jimmy buffett has been playing more baseball stadiums recently as well - some as a gimick (wrigley, fenway), some because they provided viable options (phillies park - although he's back in camden this year)

  • Author

I figured that the new ballpark would be equipped with state-of-the-art acoustics, so that concerts could go on there without loss of sound quality.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

U2 is doing stadiums on this tour, I believe.

 

They're not coming to Miami, though. :confused

They've said that it would double as a concert stadium. I figure they could probably stick around 10-15 concerts per year or so. It's about 10-15,000 seats bigger than the various arenas but I could see something like what Zeta used to do in Biccentenial and Bayfront - the Bonzai concerts with several different acts. Different Latin acts would do well there, I think. (As lovely as West Palm is, I am sick of driving up there for concerts.)

 

My pop's house is 2-3 blocks away from the OB site. I still remember my whole family sitting in the backyard in lawn chairs listening to Michael Jackson. When the Stones played there, I had the windows open. Prince, Genesis and a bunch of others.

 

Anyway, considering the cost of concerts now a days, they really don't need to sell out to make money. If they inflate parking for special events like AAA does (I paid $35.00 to park once).

U2 is doing stadiums on this tour, I believe.

 

They're not coming to Miami, though. :confused

 

 

They always come to Miami. They have recently started and ended their tours here, but this time I guess they will be stopping by only once and probably in the second leg of the tour.

The simple answer as stated above is...of course.

 

That was the whole (aside from baseball) idea in the first place, I've been saying this here for years. But it isn't just U2 or some other concert, you have now have an enclosed air conditioned, state of the art venue capable of handling national political conventions, huge trade shows (which is what the good fathers on Miami Beach are terrified of), conventions like the AMA or the annual Microsoft fiesta that last ten days and brings tens of thousands of people together. Those big, big events stopped coming to the Miami Beach Convention Center years ago when it became obvious they could no longer handle the mass of people.

 

On the otherhand it will be great for tourism and the hospitality industry.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.