Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Interesting tidbits from 'Rumblings and Grumblings

Featured Replies

Here are some interesting items of note from Stark's Rumblings and Grumblings:

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1661156

 

The Mets have already taken huge steps to rebuild their talent-evaluation operation by bringing in Al Goldis from the Reds and Bill Singer from the Pirates. Now it appears they're still trying to convince Fred Ferreira to leave Florida for a key position in professional and international scouting.

 

 

One reason that has raised at least a few eyebrows is that Ferreira is tight with Vladimir Guerrero from their days together in Montreal. And one baseball man with ties to the Mets says that he wouldn't be shocked to see owner Fred Wilpon lead a charge at Guerrero or A-Rod.

 

 

"I think Fred is obsessed with bringing a big name into New York," our source says. "And he might do it whether it makes sense or not."

 

I hope Ferreira doesnt leave - because he is crucial in our scouting department. The fact that he is 'tight' with Guerrero is one source of belief that Vlad is on his way here...maybe this is so true that the Mets are willing to give Ferreira anything just to get Vlad in NYC.

 

We hereby authorize you to ignore every headline you read this winter linking the Yankees with Vladimir Guerrero. Sources who have spoken with the Yankees say they're convinced Guerrero has no serious interest in playing in New York, and they're wary of being used to drive up his price tag. Not that any player would ever do something like that.

 

Another Vlad note - just to shoot down that Yankees rumor and it seems the Yankees have finally wised up to what is going on. I said that the rumor was only being used to drive the price up.

 

There is talk in Florida that Mike Lowell's agents, Seth and Sam Levinson, are supposed to have their first serious conversations with Marlins president David Samson late this week about a long-term deal that would keep Lowell in Florida. If they can't agree, Lowell would join Curt Schilling and Richie Sexson at the top of the Human Trade Rumor charts.

 

 

But Lowell's future will be just one component of a fascinating offseason in Florida. The Marlins need to be recognizable when they hit the field next opening day, so none of their newfound fans consider this to be 1997-98 revisited. But management has concluded they can't bring back everybody -- and not just because doing that would cost close to 90 million Jeffrey Loria bucks.

 

 

They watched the 2003 Angels trot out almost an identical team to the World Series champs -- and finish 19 games out of first. So you can expect to hear Marlins honchos mention that as they begin to make changes this winter.

 

 

"It's not the money you spend," says Samson. "It's how you spend it. I don't know how much our payroll will be yet. But no matter what it is, how do you know if you can recapture the magic from year to year? You have to make all the right decisions. It's not about dollars spent. It's about recapturing that magic."

 

I think the deal for Lowell will get done. I just hope the stadium deal gets done too. Interesting position the Marlins are taking with this team - not trying to bring everyone back. I agree, teams are usually special for one season, changes are needed - so long as the chemistry is in place.

My husband tells me that Charles Johnson had a stadium-clause in his contract. Is his memory right on that?

Yes. CJ's contract allowed him become a FA if a stadium deal was not completed. He did not take advantage of that clause however, chosing to stay put in SoFla. Of course, he was later asked to waive his no trade clause in order to complete the deal with the Rockies.

jonnylons its the "fatcat" mentality I have mine already. Its natural

 

As far as Vlad is concern, Freddy wants to bring Vlad to the team his with. Freddy has been in Loria's ear all year about him. I believe the Marlins will call before its all said and done with Vlad. Unless Freddy feels its hopeless down here. Which we'll know by the end of the weekend.

My husband tells me that Charles Johnson had a stadium-clause in his contract. Is his memory right on that?

 

Your husband's memory is excellent. Now if you could just get him to remember to take out the garbage on pickup day... :whistle

My husband tells me that Charles Johnson had a stadium-clause in his contract. Is his memory right on that?

 

Your husband's memory is excellent. Now if you could just get him to remember to take out the garbage on pickup day... :whistle Do we have a love connection on the board? :lol

  • Author

jonnylons its the "fatcat" mentality I have mine already. Its natural

 

As far as Vlad is concern, Freddy wants to bring Vlad to the team his with. Freddy has been in Loria's ear all year about him. I believe the Marlins will call before its all said and done with Vlad. Unless Freddy feels its hopeless down here. Which we'll know by the end of the weekend.

Edcanes, do you think then that the Marlins are going to make a move for Vlad? If so, do you think the Marlins are serious about getting him?

 

The way I see it, if the Marlins re-sign Lowell, Castillo and Pudge - or even Pudge is waffling, signing Vlad makes a huge announcement to this team and the rest of the league. I dont know how much he may get - maybe $12MM could be 'doable' for us, but even that is very high - but getting Vlad would be crushing to the other organizations in our division. It could be another 'special' cash reserve that Loria has in place. Who knows?

 

Frankly, I am surprised there are reports we are working hard to re-sign Castillo and even Lee. I think we could let those two walk (or trade Lee), find replacements, sign Pudge and Lowell - and use the money from Castillo and Lee for Vlad. Just a thought...

[Frankly, I am surprised there are reports we are working hard to re-sign Castillo and even Lee. I think we could let those two walk (or trade Lee), find replacements, sign Pudge and Lowell - and use the money from Castillo and Lee for Vlad. Just a thought...

I don't think the math works.

 

Supposin' it takes $15 million for Pudge and Lowell combined in 2004.

Add in another $12 million for Vlad.

Add in $11 million for Hampton and the Pudge deferral.

 

That comes to $38 million for 3 players. If the payroll goes to $60 million, that leaves them $22 million for 22 players (actually a few more with the guys on the DL). I don't think that's enough.

  • Author

I agree, Gator. I dont think there is a) enough money and b) the stance for the FO to allocate so much money to one player (Vlad). It doesnt seem to be in their MO, but then again the same could have been said for Pudge this last season, eventhough that money is deferred. We'll see...

IF, and this is a HUGE IF, the Marlins make a run a Vlad, they would HAVE to work in a good sized deferment into his contract ala Pudge. Then hope the stadium deal works out for future income. SO MUCH hinges on that stadium right now its ridiculous

Jonny brought up a good point earlier (one that I have kinda been convinced will happen eventually for a year or so now). Hearing on Sportscenter sometime in the next couple of weeks that not only has Vlad been signed but that he is coming here. Pudge and a World Title last season, and now Vlad? The Marlins will be shot into the big market I think.

  • Author

Jonny brought up a good point earlier (one that I have kinda been convinced will happen eventually for a year or so now). Hearing on Sportscenter sometime in the next couple of weeks that not only has Vlad been signed but that he is coming here. Pudge and a World Title last season, and now Vlad? The Marlins will be shot into the big market I think.

Juanky, you suspect Vlad has been signed by us already? Pray, TELL!

 

As much as I cant see us signing Vlad, from a baseball/fiscal perspective, my gut tells me to hold up. Something seems to be going on here. But we'll see...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.