Skipworth

flasportsfan88

Also, Matty already has 7 errors on the year so far. This is coming from someone who was said to have a "major-league ready" glove as soon as he was drafted out of high school.

It's already been concluded that errors are a terrible way to judge defensive prowess.

Also, Matty already has 7 errors on the year so far. This is coming from someone who was said to have a "major-league ready" glove as soon as he was drafted out of high school.

It's already been concluded that errors are a terrible way to judge defensive prowess.

Yeah I agree with that. But since I haven't watched him in person, its just the stat that popped out at me.

I, for one, think lack of errors are a poor way to say a fielder is good, however, I think making a lot of errors pretty much says that they are playing poor defense.

Still, I don't think 7 errors is anything to be worried about.

If you look at Dominguez peripherals:

BB%: 11% (League average-9%, MLB average-9%)

K%: 18.8% (League average-19%, MLB average-18.5%)

.ISO: .177 (league average-.123, MLB average-.150)

BABIP: .248 (League average-.312, MLB average-.300)

[league average is for this season in Southern League, mlb average is round ball numbers from past several years]

So he's walking a good amount, he's striking out more than you'd like but not at a rate you worry about as he's still making contact a good amount of the time, he's hitting for power. The only thing that's hurting him is his BABIP. Now, maybe he has a horrible skill set for this (MILB career BABIP: .282), and he turns into Pedro Feliz (Career BABIP: .268, and IMO Feliz all around is his probable worst case scenerio comp). But he still does everything else good enough that he's still a solid player to have.

Meanwhile, if his BABIP hits league average, bam, he's good.

There's a LOT more to like with what he's doing than with what Skipworth is doing, since Skip is only doing one thing (hitting for power). Hell, he's a year older then Skip and is two levels ahead of him.

If you look at Dominguez peripherals:

BB%: 11% (League average-9%, MLB average-9%)

K%: 18.8% (League average-19%, MLB average-18.5%)

.ISO: .177 (league average-.123, MLB average-.150)

BABIP: .248 (League average-.312, MLB average-.300)

[league average is for this season in Southern League, mlb average is round ball numbers from past several years]

So he's walking a good amount, he's striking out more than you'd like but not at a rate you worry about as he's still making contact a good amount of the time, he's hitting for power. The only thing that's hurting him is his BABIP. Now, maybe he has a horrible skill set for this (MILB career BABIP: .282), and he turns into Pedro Feliz (Career BABIP: .268, and IMO Feliz all around is his probable worst case scenerio comp). But he still does everything else good enough that he's still a solid player to have.

Meanwhile, if his BABIP hits league average, bam, he's good.

There's a LOT more to like with what he's doing than with what Skipworth is doing, since Skip is only doing one thing (hitting for power). Hell, he's a year older then Skip and is two levels ahead of him.

I don't buy into the belief that BABIP is based on luck, and a lot of statheads and are souring on it now as well. I don't believe that the results of a players contact are subject primary to chance. Sure, baseball is a game where the liners are caught and the tappers go for hits, but players who make better contact will over the long run get better results. I think BABIP is more relevant when comparing a player's performance against himself in years past, but I don't think that Dominguez is going to revert to league average- maybe reaching his .282 mark is the best we can hope for because that might just be the player he is.

I agree with everything you said about BABIP, it's a skill set that luck affects. And the only way you can say if luck is affecting it is if you know that players skill set (I.E. We can say Hanley is unlucky even though he has a league-average BABIP right now, because he puts up .350 BABIPs every single year). But that's my entire point: We don't know what his BABIP skill set is. Maybe he will be Pedro Feliz and always have horrible BABIPs. Maybe not.

However, BABIP is the only thing going wrong with Dominguez right now. So the only thing going wrong is something we don't know if it'll even continue to be wrong or not. And if it continues to go wrong, he still does everything else well enough to be a solid contributor at the ML level even if it limits him to a low .700 OPS.

With Skipworth, basically everything is going wrong outside of having a near-.400 BABIP and having massive power in a massive hitters park. Both of those we know are regressing going forward, and his approach we know is god awful.

BABIP isn't entirely based on luck, it's more based on the hitter's ability. If you hit a ton of groundballs and you aren't fast, your BABIP will be low. Dominguez seems to be around average in his batted ball abilities, and he seems to be pretty slow, so you would expect him to come in below average, but .248 is way too low. That's where the bad luck comes in.

And if he gets to that .282 mark, as opposed to the .248 mark he's at now, that's a pretty big improvement. That would bring his average up to around .250 and his OPS to near .775, which I think is right around what should be expected of him. In the month of May, he's got a 17% LD rate, and a BABIP of .246. That's silly, and it will even out, and he'll get back to being who he is.

If he hits .775 and plays the defense expected of him, there's a ton more to be excited about with him than Skip. Don't see any reason to be more excited about Skipworth than Dominguez.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.