July 8, 201016 yr I think Jorge Cantu is a very good offensive player and leader but I believe he should not hit cleanup for us. If you take out April from his statistics his avg. with risp is not high at all. Who else agrees? The lineup should be: Coghlan Ramirez Sanchez Uggla Ross Cantu Stanton Paulino
July 8, 201016 yr I'm a minority of one, and I hope four days off will do wonders for the guy, a guy I have always supported and still do, a guy who when he's on top of his game I see as the team's best situational hitter, but I'd bench him if I could and bring up LoMo to play first and slide Sanchez over to third to see how he does there while Georgie gets his groove on. Everyday I look at Morrison's numbers and say to myself how do you keep a guy hitting in the .320s with an OBP more than a hundred points higher (.324/.434/.511/.945) down on the farm much longer? I would love having Cantu's bat available coming off the bench in crucial game situations at least for a while but he and Paulino look like zombies out there. I know as I said above it would be a very unpopular experiment but personally I think its time has come.
July 8, 201016 yr Author I'm a minority of one, and I hope four days off will do wonders for the guy, a guy I have always supported and still do, a guy who when he's on top of his game I see as the team's best situational hitter, but I'd bench him if I could and bring up LoMo to play first and slide Sanchez over to third to see how he does there while Georgie gets his groove on. Everyday I look at Morrison's numbers and say to myself how do you keep a guy hitting in the .320s with an OBP more than a hundred points higher (.324/.434/.511/.945) down on the farm much longer? I would love having Cantu's bat available coming off the bench in crucial game situations at least for a while but he and Paulino look like zombies out there. I know as I said above it would be a very unpopular experiment but personally I think its time has come. Yea I agree with sanchez sliding over to third but for some reason I believe the front office/management dosent want Gaby there. He cant be worse than Cantu over there at third. With Logan playing first base and Gaby at third we could trade Cantu and keep Uggla.
July 8, 201016 yr I'm a minority of one, and I hope four days off will do wonders for the guy, a guy I have always supported and still do, a guy who when he's on top of his game I see as the team's best situational hitter, but I'd bench him if I could and bring up LoMo to play first and slide Sanchez over to third to see how he does there while Georgie gets his groove on. Everyday I look at Morrison's numbers and say to myself how do you keep a guy hitting in the .320s with an OBP more than a hundred points higher (.324/.434/.511/.945) down on the farm much longer? I would love having Cantu's bat available coming off the bench in crucial game situations at least for a while but he and Paulino look like zombies out there. I know as I said above it would be a very unpopular experiment but personally I think its time has come. Yea I agree with sanchez sliding over to third but for some reason I believe the front office/management dosent want Gaby there. He cant be worse than Cantu over there at third. With Logan playing first base and Gaby at third we could trade Cantu and keep Uggla. It's a huge risk with Sanchez at third and I understand that but I see it as a very limited time experiment to see how it plays out. The one thing I think may work in Gaby's favor now, as opposed to say last season or even earlier in this one, is he gotten the offense side of the game well under control so it's no longer an issue hanging over his head like spring a year ago when he came into camp virtually guaranteed the job and cost himself the position and almost a career. He's also much more adept at fielding after three months playing in the field everyday and the speed of the game, so a possible transition to third might be a less outrageous idea than it would have been say in April.
July 8, 201016 yr Gaby is not capable of playing third at a major league level. Everyone needs to accept this. As for Cantu, I'm not all that pleased with his production. It seems like Uggla has always been our best option as a cleanup hitter and has never once gotten this role for an extended period of time.
July 8, 201016 yr I'm a minority of one, and I hope four days off will do wonders for the guy, a guy I have always supported and still do, a guy who when he's on top of his game I see as the team's best situational hitter, but I'd bench him if I could and bring up LoMo to play first and slide Sanchez over to third to see how he does there while Georgie gets his groove on. Everyday I look at Morrison's numbers and say to myself how do you keep a guy hitting in the .320s with an OBP more than a hundred points higher (.324/.434/.511/.945) down on the farm much longer? I would love having Cantu's bat available coming off the bench in crucial game situations at least for a while but he and Paulino look like zombies out there. I know as I said above it would be a very unpopular experiment but personally I think its time has come. Yea I agree with sanchez sliding over to third but for some reason I believe the front office/management dosent want Gaby there. He cant be worse than Cantu over there at third. With Logan playing first base and Gaby at third we could trade Cantu and keep Uggla. Yes, he can. And from what I understand he really really is. That said, we can just put LoMo in left and CC at 3rd.
July 8, 201016 yr Gaby is not capable of playing third at a major league level. Everyone needs to accept this. I hope you don't mind if I ignore your emphatic declaration as true as it may turn out to be. For myself I'd just like to see what happens and believe me if you're right I'll be the first one to say so. Promise. :cheers
July 8, 201016 yr I've said this before and my thinking can be flawed but to me the problem with moving Coghlan to third and LoMo to left (Gaby staying at first) is that too many players are being asked to play too many new positions. Maybe that's nothing to worry about, I accept the notion I can be wrong, but it seems to me the simpler you make these kinds of player repositionings, especially with a rookie who has enough to worry about watching 98 mph sliders painting the edge of the plate, is make him learn the intricacies of playing left field in a dozen new stadiums he's never seen before as opposed to plunking him down at first (first base is more or less the same in every ballpark I think most would agree) *which is his natural position*. I'm thinking "Keeping it Simple" at least in the beginning.
July 8, 201016 yr Logan is playing LF almost everyday in NOLA. This means they have plans with CC at another position wether it's moving uggla or cantu
July 8, 201016 yr Logan is playing LF almost everyday in NOLA. This means they have plans with CC at another position wether it's moving uggla or cantu This is simply not true and if you don't believe me go through the boxscores and game recaps from July 1st on. I could gone have back further but I just didn't feel like it. (The same pattern continues into the latter part of June BTW). That said, yes he's playing some games in left and certainly more than ever before, and there was a brief period in June where he was playing there every day as you said, although that experiment seems to be over, but more often than not he's primarily playing first again and not left field. He even on one occasion recently played both, switching after seven innings to left field for a couple extra innings of playing time after playing the majority of the game at first.
July 8, 201016 yr yeah cantu has been looking bad. he had such a great start to the season. i honestly have no idea what is going on. on a different note, what the hell is up with jose veras. hasn't he had like a string of games in a row where he hasn't allowed a run??
July 8, 201016 yr Have you guys heard if hes having the same problems as last year? he dont look the same to me.
July 8, 201016 yr Have you guys heard if hes having the same problems as last year? he dont look the same to me. you mean the wrist injury??
July 8, 201016 yr I have been looking through the box scores everyday and for awhile he was playing lf everyday. I can't pull up the old box scores because I'm on my phone but I know for awhile he was. Even if he isn't anymore it still means that they feel CC will be playing another position in the future or they wouldn't have done it to start with
July 8, 201016 yr No shot at the OP's lineup. There is no reason Gaby shouldn't be batting 2nd and Hanley shouldn't batting 3rd. Top 3 are fine, however I feel that Cantu does need to be taken out of the cleanup spot. He's clearly cooled off from hitting over .400 with RISP and with men on base to just .311 in both situations. The clear choice right now is the hottest hitter on the team in Dan Uggla. If Cantu continues to struggle then just switch him to 5th or 6th with Uggla 4th and Cody 5th or 6th.
July 8, 201016 yr To me Cantu looks really tired. I can't believe that Paulino isn't really tired also. Hopefully 4 days off during next week will be enough. Too bad we don't have a better bench to relieve these guys. No slight to Helms intended, but I don't think much of the bench after Helms. Yes, I'm slighting Boni.
July 9, 201016 yr Have you guys heard if hes having the same problems as last year? he dont look the same to me. you mean the wrist injury?? nah he was taking some meds that made him dizzy and weak. cholestrol meds i think. I know a few weeks ago before a game he was dizzy.
July 9, 201016 yr Have you guys heard if hes having the same problems as last year? he dont look the same to me. you mean the wrist injury?? nah he was taking some meds that made him dizzy and weak. cholestrol meds i think. I know a few weeks ago before a game he was dizzy. He also has some kind of muscular or skeletal injury or flair-up last season that hampered his play.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.