Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ubaldo Jimenez and David Price to start All Star Game

Featured Replies

While I agree that Brown should have won that year, it's worth noting that Smoltz's strikeout numbers were pretty good (276). Brown didn't come close to that. I think ERA and WHIP are the two most important "common" statistics, so in that sense Brown should have won.

 

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised that if Johnson finishes with 18 wins and a sub 3.00 ERA and Jimenez finishes with someohing ridiculous like 26 wins and a low 3.00 ERA (under 3.50), Jimenez will take it.

 

 

Pffft. I hope JJ can finish the year with an ERA in the 1.60-1.69 range! I actually think he can get it in the 1.50-1.59 range before he gets rocked for a game or two. That being said, anything under 3.00 ERA from him at end of season is great.

I'm not saying Johnson can't do better than 3.00; I'm speaking hypothetically for a case where Johnson could excel while Jimenez regresses, which could lead to Jimenez taking the title in the end.

 

Winning 25 games or more might be too much to ignore in the minds of some of the voters. Hopefully I'm wrong.

If the statistics present today were doubled my feeling is that Josh Johnson would not win the Cy Young Award, even though he'd be close up there to a pseudo-triple crown (but a more legit one :) ) with his WHIP, ERA, and strikeouts all being ranked around #1.

A shame for JJ but I'm sure a Cy Young Award will taste sweeter :thumbup

 

 

That's just it... this is a red flag indicator that he will see the same garbage that Dontrelle saw and that Brown saw when he loses the Cy Young.

DTrain benefited from the W/L "garbage" in winning ROY. Webb was much better that season.

If the statistics present today were doubled my feeling is that Josh Johnson would not win the Cy Young Award, even though he'd be close up there to a pseudo-triple crown (but a more legit one :) ) with his WHIP, ERA, and strikeouts all being ranked around #1.

 

 

If Ubaldo somehow wins THIRTY games, I'm not sure I'd be able to complain, even with he obvious problems with W-L as a performance stat.

A shame for JJ but I'm sure a Cy Young Award will taste sweeter :thumbup

 

 

That's just it... this is a red flag indicator that he will see the same garbage that Dontrelle saw and that Brown saw when he loses the Cy Young.

DTrain benefited from the W/L "garbage" in winning ROY. Webb was much better that season.

 

What's the point? I never said "Dontrelle should've won the Cy Young and also should've won the ROY because Im a Marlins fan and my players should always win"... in fact after being shown how good of a season Clemens had (although Im glad that d-bag didnt win) he was easily better than the other two.

 

Im not going to call out Ubaldo, or Carpenter, or anyone. They are all really good, and all put up Cy Young numbers. It's just when someone puts up better numbers, you need to hold the voters accountable.

 

If Ubaldo actually goes 30-2... there's no question he wins the Cy Young even if he finishes with a 3.00 ERA. And that's just the shame about it... because W-L is an all around statistic. If it were truly calculated by the pitcher only it'd work out in a similar fashion to what I just made up... and what I just made up was ridiculous.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.