Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

We were almost the Florida Flamingos

Featured Replies

Given that were coming to the end of the Florida Marlins I felt it necessary to dig up some old articles regarding the beginnings and such.

 

You can read the story here it's an article from the NY Times back in 93.

 

Anne Occi, the design director of Major League Baseball Properties, the marketing and licensing wing of Major League Baseball, gazed at the vast expanse of ocean along the Miami coastline two springs ago, dreaming of teal. The water was teal. Miami's fountains were teal. The bottoms of the swimming pools were teal. The stuffed fish hanging from the walls of restaurants were teal. And sure enough, when she and some other honchos from Major League Baseball went to the library to check out what a marlin looked like -- the thrashing fish for whom the new Florida expansion team would be named -- it, too, was teal.

 

Back in New York, Ms. Occi (pronounced OH-see) consulted her Pantone color swatches, the mysterious touchstones based on psychographic research that tell fashion designers which colors are going to be hot. The Pantone Ouija board said "blue." The teal pin stripe was born.

 

"We considered calling the team the Florida Flamingos," recalled the club's owner, Wayne Huizenga, who worked closely with her. Baseball wasn't ready for pink, but Ms. Occi's concoction of teal and metallic silver was still radical for baseball.

 

 

 

Thank God we didn't take a color guess on pink.

Given that were coming to the end of the Florida Marlins I felt it necessary to dig up some old articles regarding the beginnings and such.

 

You can read the story here it's an article from the NY Times back in 93.

 

 

Anne Occi, the design director of Major League Baseball Properties, the marketing and licensing wing of Major League Baseball, gazed at the vast expanse of ocean along the Miami coastline two springs ago, dreaming of teal. The water was teal. Miami's fountains were teal. The bottoms of the swimming pools were teal. The stuffed fish hanging from the walls of restaurants were teal. And sure enough, when she and some other honchos from Major League Baseball went to the library to check out what a marlin looked like -- the thrashing fish for whom the new Florida expansion team would be named -- it, too, was teal.

 

Back in New York, Ms. Occi (pronounced OH-see) consulted her Pantone color swatches, the mysterious touchstones based on psychographic research that tell fashion designers which colors are going to be hot. The Pantone Ouija board said "blue." The teal pin stripe was born.

 

"We considered calling the team the Florida Flamingos," recalled the club's owner, Wayne Huizenga, who worked closely with her. Baseball wasn't ready for pink, but Ms. Occi's concoction of teal and metallic silver was still radical for baseball.

 

 

 

Thank God we didn't take a color guess on pink.

 

I woulda been a Rockies fan instead if they did this. I picked Marlins because I didn't like the name Rockies

Given that were coming to the end of the Florida Marlins I felt it necessary to dig up some old articles regarding the beginnings and such.

 

You can read the story here it's an article from the NY Times back in 93.

 

 

Anne Occi, the design director of Major League Baseball Properties, the marketing and licensing wing of Major League Baseball, gazed at the vast expanse of ocean along the Miami coastline two springs ago, dreaming of teal. The water was teal. Miami's fountains were teal. The bottoms of the swimming pools were teal. The stuffed fish hanging from the walls of restaurants were teal. And sure enough, when she and some other honchos from Major League Baseball went to the library to check out what a marlin looked like -- the thrashing fish for whom the new Florida expansion team would be named -- it, too, was teal.

 

Back in New York, Ms. Occi (pronounced OH-see) consulted her Pantone color swatches, the mysterious touchstones based on psychographic research that tell fashion designers which colors are going to be hot. The Pantone Ouija board said "blue." The teal pin stripe was born.

 

"We considered calling the team the Florida Flamingos," recalled the club's owner, Wayne Huizenga, who worked closely with her. Baseball wasn't ready for pink, but Ms. Occi's concoction of teal and metallic silver was still radical for baseball.

 

 

 

Thank God we didn't take a color guess on pink.

 

I woulda been a Rockies fan instead if they did this. I picked Marlins because I didn't like the name Rockies

 

Yeah I remember this being in the news then and thought what a disaster that would have been and I remember wondering how ballplayers would look in pink lol. I am not crazy about the Marlins name either but damn Florida Flamingos was just horrible.

At least I would have had some clothes that I could have worn. I have this little Frisage top that has some really nice sequins on it that would have been wonderful. I even have the pink tennis shoes

 

But still the boys would have hated it. I just can't see Jeff Conine or Charlie Hough in pink.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.