Happy Purim!

Marlins

Explain to us who are not familiar with the Judaic traditions what Purim is, please and thank you.

There are a lot of customs...

During prayers we read the "Megilas Esther" (story of Purim). During the reading of the story every time the name "Haman" is read the person reading aloud to the congregation stops reading & everyone goes "BBBOOOO!!!" & makes all bunch of similar noises as a means of drowning out the name (as Haman was the person who made the edict to have all the Jews destroyed). NOTE: Little kids absolutely love this custom.

Also of note is the custom to give "Mishloach Manot" (gifts to friends). The reasoning for this is to ensure that everyone has enough food for the festive meal of Purim held later in the day. On a deeper level, however, the reason is to increase love and friendship among Jews as the true ultimate reason why the Jews were able to survive the decree (which said they should all be killed) is because they stuck together.

The custom most loved by Jews is the custom to get drunk. According to some authorities, one is supposed to drink until they don't know the difference between "Haman" (who decreed that the Jews should be killed) & "Mordechai" (who led the Jews together until they were ultimately redeemed)...Which in other words means" Get absolutely hammered!" The simple reason for why Jews get drunk is because they were saved in part due to miracles that happen around wine feasts. We therefore drink as a means of remembering those miracles & how they led to our salvation.

I could write a lot more but I think it's easier for you to just ask Rabbi Google your questions.

Am I the only one on the site that got drunk for Purim???

Please tell me no...

I drank two nights ago. I also had a few sips of some 6-month old SN Torpedo before I poured it down the drain to make room in the fridge for some other beers :lol

It really wasn't bad, just not nearly as good as fresh.

Am I the only one on the site that got drunk for Purim???

Please tell me no...

I drank two nights ago. I also had a few sips of some 6-month old SN Torpedo before I poured it down the drain to make room in the fridge for some other beers :lol

It really wasn't bad, just not nearly as good as fresh.

So...You didn't get drunk on Purim then?

I didn't really get drunk anyway-just a bit tipsy. Hate the feeling when you just drink too much alcohol for your body to handle.

Nah, I didn't. I may celebrate on Saturday if the local temple I tried to get in touch with ever calls back!

Could always just go there...G-d just made us all terrible at returning phone calls. Doesn't mean they don't care or anything...

I don't have official confirmation of where the celebration is, though. We've never been there, and I'm not sure if they have their own building, and even if they do, what I did find online (but not on their official site) said that the Purim festivities would be held elsewhere, anyway. So, we're confuzzled.

Nah, I didn't. I may celebrate on Saturday if the local temple I tried to get in touch with ever calls back!

Could always just go there...G-d just made us all terrible at returning phone calls. Doesn't mean they don't care or anything...

I don't have official confirmation of where the celebration is, though. We've never been there, and I'm not sure if they have their own building, and even if they do, what I did find online (but not on their official site) said that the Purim festivities would be held elsewhere, anyway. So, we're confuzzled.

Yeah, I'm confuzzled as well. Maybe they're expecting so many people for the Purim festivities that they had to rent out a bigger place-not sure. I'd just make sure that the non-official website is legit and try emailing them.