What is the organizational view of....

h2r09

Jake Smolinski and AJ Ramos of AA Jacksonville.

Smolinski is having a pretty damn good year and has hit in time in every level he's been to. He is hitting about .300 on the year and although he doesn't hit for much power, he is an on base machine and can't be much worse than guys like Coghlan who keep getting time up here and don't hit at all. Will he get a call this year and does he have much of a future with the big club?

AJ Ramos is a undrafted free agent who has been downright nasty for the better part of a couple years now. He k's a ton of people and has great control. I don't know much about his "stuff" but his numbers have been ridiculous. Does he have any chance of being called up? Anybody know more about him?

yeah Ramos had a crazy start of the season, I think he went like 12 innings before giving up a hit. 30 innings now with just 15 hits allowed and 42 Ks, that's definitely doing the job. He and Evan Reed both pitch a ton for the Suns, I've gotten a chance to watch them a fair amount. I think both are on the short list of guys who'd get a callup if the need arises.

Smolinski is a pretty decent minor league guy, probably more of "organizational depth" just because he's lacking power for an outfielder. I was hoping he would work out at 2B. He's always had good K and BB numbers, just hoped he'd have developed a little more slugging. He came over with Boni in the Nats trade, would be awesome if he could contribute but not sure I see it in the cards. Sure I'd prefer to see him out there over Coghlan right now.

anyone have a scouting report on ramos' stuff? is he just getting by in AA because he is older or does he actually have good stuff?

It's a possibility, but every level he's been at [Greensboro he was about average-above average], he's been really good to great. Looks like he may have developed something between Greensboro to Jupiter.

anyone have a scouting report on ramos' stuff? is he just getting by in AA because he is older or does he actually have good stuff?

If he just had a low ERA with an average or below K/BB rate Id say it's because he's older but with the K numbers he must be throwing some nasty stuff.