Rodney nears deal with Snakes

Admin

Fernando Rodney has agreed to a one-year, $2.75 million contract with the Diamondbacks, per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Heyman says there are "many, many" performance-based incentives included in the deal. Rodney posted a rough 5.89 ERA over his final 36 2/3 innings this past season with the Marlins, but he got off to a good start in San Diego and might have a little something left in the tank as he heads to the desert. The plan is for him to open the 2017 season as the Diamondbacks' closer. Good luck with that.

RotoWorld

I'm not arguing that. This is just personal, being a sports fan of the Marlins, and Panthers, and the way the Hurricane football team has been for the last 14 years, and where the Panthers were at in their rebuild...

The last thing I wanted was ownership interference with the Panthers.

TBH, whats 2.5MM + incentives to a franchise trying to compete and make the playoffs. I wish the Marlins signed him, but he probably wanted to close rather than sign a great money deal. He has the possiblity to rebound from being so shitty in Miami, and be serviceable. As a 7th inning, or 8th Inning option, I'd have signed him at that contract and altered the incentives a bit to show him whether he closes or not hes gonna get paid if he plays well.

Mathis should retire, but I'm sure he's trying to hit pension goals with his service time. He'll be back here soon enough as a coach or advisor I bet.