Eovaldi signs with Rays

Admin

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that the Rays have agreed to a one-year, $2 million contract with Nathan Eovaldi.

The deal also includes incentives and a club option for 2018. Eovaldi is expected to miss the entire 2017 campaign while recovering from Tommy John surgery. It makes sense as a nice low-risk signing for the Rays, though he won't have any impact this season.

RotoWorld

Can you imagine signing a NEW contract to not do your job for a year?

I just don't believe the Rays would be stupid enough to give millions dollars of guaranteed money to a pitcher that guaranteed wouldn't pitched in a full season,so I think it would be like the case of Hendo,teams give them major league contracts due to the possibility of contributions to the team.

I just don't believe the Rays would be stupid enough to give millions dollars of guaranteed money to a pitcher that guaranteed wouldn't pitched in a full season,so I think it would be like the case of Hendo,teams give them major league contracts due to the possibility of contributions to the team.

No, he won't pitch this season. The idea was he's a potentially high reward - low risk guy. By doing this, they get him on a club option for 2 million in 2018. Some team was going to give him that, they decided it was worth throwing away the 2 million this year to lock him up in 2018 at 2 mil.

No, he won't pitch this season. The idea was he's a potentially high reward - low risk guy. By doing this, they get him on a club option for 2 million in 2018. Some team was going to give him that, they decided it was worth throwing away the 2 million this year to lock him up in 2018 at 2 mil.

Yea,it's just like a 1 year / 4 million contract.

They have to overpay to get talent there. He'll get healthy with Tampa- he'll pitch a few games and show great potential and they'll sell high on him for prospects to a needy team.