Marlins Arbitration Watch

FutureGM

With the exception of Looper the worst that happens is they all go to arbitration. It will be interesting to see who signs tonight and who goes the arb route.

Just because somebody isn't signed tonight doesn't mean they will necessarily go through arbitration. If we tender them a contract, that means they will be Marlins next year (barring a trade) and arbitration is a possibility. But the two sides can still agree on a contract at any time. At times, a player and team will agree to a contract minutes before an arbitration hearing is to begin. So we still have several weeks to negotiate deals with the guys we offer abritration to, like Penny, Gonzalez, etc.

Posted on Sun, Dec. 21, 2003

Marlins sign Benitez, fail to offer Looper contract

TIM REYNOLDS

Associated Press

MIAMI - Armando Benitez agreed to a $3.5 million, one-year contract with the Florida Marlins late Saturday, a move which prompted the team not to offer a deal to former closer Braden Looper.

Benitez had 21 saves last season for the New York Mets before being traded to the Yankees in July. The Yankees sent him to Seattle three weeks later.

The signing is contingent on Benitez passing a physical, Marlins spokesman Steve Copses said.

The right-hander was the Mets' closer since 1999, saving 160 games in 185 chances and representing the Mets on the 2003 All-Star team. He blew six of his 10 postseason save chances while with the Mets, a major league record.

Florida also signed right-hander A.J. Burnett to a $2.5 million, one-year deal, and shortstop Alex Gonzalez to a $6.2 million, two-year contract before Saturday's midnight deadline to offer deals to arbitration-eligible players.

Starting pitchers Brad Penny and Carl Pavano were tendered contracts by the deadline, Copses said, and would likely be going to arbitration.

Relievers Armando Almanza and Toby Borland were not offered deals and became free agents.

Looper converted 28 of 34 save chances for the Marlins last season, during which he was 6-4 with a 3.68 ERA in 74 games.

He was stellar before the All-Star break, going 4-2 with a 2.28 ERA and closed out 17 of his 20 save chances. But after the Marlins acquired Ugueth Urbina on July 11, Looper - perhaps sensing correctly that his role was in jeopardy - struggled.

He was 2-2 with a 6.14 ERA after the All-Star break, and opponents batted .291 against him, 44 points higher than they managed pre-break. In the postseason, he was 2-0 with one save and an ERA of 5.14.

Gonzalez hit .256 with 18 home runs and 77 RBIs last season, but was wildly inconsistent.

On June 20, Gonzalez was hitting .328 with 12 home runs and 50 RBIs, while striking out only 37 times. But in his final 83 games of the regular season, he hit just .192 with six homers, 27 RBIs and 69 strikeouts.

The offensive struggles continued in the postseason, with Gonzalez hitting only .161 with 16 strikeouts in 62 at-bats. With one swing, though, he atoned for many problems; a walk-off home run in Game 4 of the World Series gave the Marlins a 4-3, 12-inning win and provided them with a boost of momentum that carried them through Games 5 and 6 to clinch the title.

Penny was 14-10 with a 4.13 ERA in 32 starts last season for Florida, getting 138 strikeouts against only 56 walks in 196 1-3 innings. He won both of his starts against the Yankees in the World Series, and went 3-1 overall during the postseason.

Pavano was 12-13 for Florida last season, but flourished in the pitcher-friendly Pro Player Stadium, going 9-4 with a 3.44 ERA in the Marlins' home park - more than two runs lower than his road ERA.

And in the postseason, he was 2-0 in eight appearances (two starts), with a team-best 1.40 ERA. He held the Yankees to one run in eight innings in Game 4 of the World Series, easily handling the pressure of both baseball's biggest stage and opposing Roger Clemens in what is expected to be the six-time Cy Young winner's final start.

im not pleased at all, not even if the marlins signed VLAD..... no stadium deal! :crying nothing can overshadow that. top priority by far was a stadium deal now it looks like it wont happen and i have lost all hope barring some MIRACLE of GOD almighty :boo-woo

don't worry...god will do something. He helps those who are just. We all better pray REAL hard, grip the rosaries real tight, and remind the priest to include the Marlins in the sermons.

im not pleased at all, not even if the marlins signed VLAD..... no stadium deal! :crying nothing can overshadow that. top priority by far was a stadium deal now it looks like it wont happen and i have lost all hope barring some MIRACLE of GOD almighty :boo-woo

don't worry...god will do something. He helps those who are just. We all better pray REAL hard, grip the rosaries real tight, and remind the priest to include the Marlins in the sermons. I'll ask my wife to pray to the Virgin of Guadalupe like she did during game 6 of the NLCS.....Seemed to work pretty well then. :D

im not pleased at all, not even if the marlins signed VLAD..... no stadium deal!? :crying nothing can overshadow that. top priority by far was a stadium deal now it looks like it wont happen and i have lost all hope barring some MIRACLE of GOD almighty :boo-woo

don't worry...god will do something. He helps those who are just. We all better pray REAL hard, grip the rosaries real tight, and remind the priest to include the Marlins in the sermons. I'll ask my wife to pray to the Virgin of Guadalupe like she did during game 6 of the NLCS.....Seemed to work pretty well then. :D I just have a feeling that Loria is going to formulate a plan to get investors to come in and cover the rest real soon. I just have this feeling, he will show Florida that he is the man who is wearing the pants.