Ralph Nader to run for President

hot4beckett

Ralph Nader To Run For President

The consumer advocate who was the Green Party candidate in 2000 is running as an independent this time.

Nader made the announcement Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Many Democrats blame Nader for keeping Al Gore out of the White House. Polls have found that most Nader voters in 2000 would have chosen Gore if Nader had not been an option.

Asked about those who've urged him not to run this time, Nader said it would be "an offense" to deny those who might want to vote for him the opportunity to do so.

He says the country shouldn't be a two-party "duopoly."

Some party officials say without a party sponsorship, it's not likely Nader can get his name on the ballot in all 50 states for the November election.

Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe is among those who have urged Nader not to run.

McAuliffe told CNN on Friday he doesn't want Nader's legacy to be "that he got George Bush for eight years in this country."

Nader was on the ballot in all 50 states as the Green Party's candidate in 2000 and picked up nearly 3 percent of the popular vote. Bush won narrow victories in New Hampshire and Florida -- and if Al Gore had gotten most of the votes that went to Nader, Gore would have won the two states and the election.

Nader, who turns 70 next week, had said he would base his decision partly on whether Democratic and Republican officials responded to his agenda, which includes the need for universal health insurance, a more progressive wage policy and making dramatic reforms to the criminal justice system

Say it ain't so Ralph!

How can such a decent man insist on messing things up once again.

Clearly his views and politics are closer to the Democrats than the Republicans. Clearly he takes votes away from the Democratic candidate.

He can't seriously believe, EVEN IF he gets far more support than expected, that he can get the kind of support he'd need to win the presidency.

What he ought to do is join the Democratic Party and try to enact change from within. If he thinks the Democrats have become such a copy of the Republicans lately, then why not try & change them?

Actually I don't think he'll get even the small numbers he got last election, since people understand what can happen.

Don't care much for Nader, he goes against the natural order of things. Yes, he has made sure that laws have been passed and procedures implimented to keep people safe. My problem is that most of these things had to be done because 90% of the people did not have enough common sense to avoid a problem.

Survival of the fittest.

We may be safer in the short term due to Nader, but are polluting the gene pool too much to survive long term.

Damn you Ralph Nader!

Good for Nader...I love this guy. Both the repubs and the dems are corporate cronies all in it together. I hope Ralph can stir up more support this time than the last. His entry secures bush for another 4 years. yay.

Nader's another fake. if you check my site out (http://www.xanga.com/craigramblings), you'll find out how ugly he can be. Seriously though, I wasn't happy when he said "he was surprised" about recent corporate corruption. He might of scored brownie points, but that doesn't woo me, it just makes him a phoney.

but hey, no one is perfect.

Good for Nader...I love this guy. Both the repubs and the dems are corporate cronies all in it together. I hope Ralph can stir up more support this time than the last. His entry secures bush for another 4 years. yay.

Nader's another fake. if you check my site out (http://www.xanga.com/craigramblings), you'll find out how ugly he can be. Seriously though, I wasn't happy when he said "he was surprised" about recent corporate corruption. He might of scored brownie points, but that doesn't woo me, it just makes him a phoney.

but hey, no one is perfect. ralph nader is anything but a phony. he's been doing this kind of work since long before you were born.