Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do you want the stadium? Round 2

Featured Replies

Marlins2003,

 

That is an interesting part of the story. I am referring to your staement about WH refusing to sell or lease land around JRS.

 

Says alot.........

Marlins2003,

 

That is an interesting part of the story. I am referring to your staement about WH refusing to sell or lease land around JRS.

 

Says alot.........

 

Gobucks, for the record I didn't say WH "refused". The word I used was "declined".

 

Their position is simple but exactly the civilized response you'd expect - "good luck to the Marlins in finding a new home, we wish them all the luck in the world. We're happy with the deal we have now and see no reason to change it."

 

There's no reason for the PPS guys to redo what is a good deal for them. Why should they? Until someone makes them an offer they can't (financially) refuse there is no economic justification for them to do otherwise. If the Marlins stay, fine, if not they move forward.

 

We can sit here forever bemoaning what the PPS guys "should" do but they are not obligated to cut their own throats just to give the Marlins a leg up. After all MLB and NFL are in a death match to see who can steal more sports entertainment dollars from the other. Miami, all of South Florida is no different. You start selling tickets at a rate of 25,000 a night times 81 games a year (in air conditioned comfort) and you my friend have just hoovered a big chunk of the available sports entertainment dollars that all used to go the Dolphins.

 

And btw, you wonder why the sports media is so stuck in first gear when it comes to the Marlins but are gungho for the Dolphins? It's the same reason. Imagine if baseball became the number one professional sport down here or even commanded 40-45% of the interest. All of a sudden the Jimmy Cefalos and the Joe Roses and the Hank Goldbergs (although he's a survivor) might start to give way to an ex-MLB player or two or five who were more focused on the Fish than that other team in town.

 

The point is alot of people and institutions have somethng to win or lose if the Marlins get a stadium of their own. Those on the inside want to keep the status quo, the Marlins are the guys on the outside in this fight.

Of what I've heard the Marlins are giving the $137,000,000 over 30 years. I might be incorrect. What if the Marlins and Miami-Dade give $1,000,000 more a year over that 30 years the $55,000,000 gap on Capefish's website would all but disappear. If the gap is the 55 mil the Marlins and city of Miami,County, and state of Florida are being very stubborn.

 

 

 

Just a thought.

And btw, you wonder why the sports media is so stuck in first gear when it comes to the Marlins but are gungho for the Dolphins? It's the same reason. Imagine if baseball became the number one professional sport down here or even commanded 40-45% of the interest. All of a sudden the Jimmy Cefalos and the Joe Roses and the Hank Goldbergs (although he's a survivor) might start to give way to an ex-MLB player or two or five who were more focused on the Fish than that other team in town.

 

 

 

You read my mind.

The market dictates who survives in the market, but Miami's local sports queens are going down. The question is who will replace them and I expect Len Kasper will become a very big name in South Florida in the coming years. Len will have a drive time show on the radio or even anchor one of the local sportscasts to accompany his Marlins duties withing 4 years.

future documentaries on channel 2: the rise and fall of the dolphins in miami :lol

Marlins 2003,

 

WH's position is somewhat shortsighted. The marlins will be leaving JRS, it is just a matter of where and when. They can continue to get a bunch of parking money as well as the proceeds of a lease or get nothing and be stuck with a stadium with 8 games a year.

 

As a landlord I often negotiate the best deal I can get from a tenant. When I am negotiating I

Marlins 2003,

 

WH's position is somewhat shortsighted. The marlins will be leaving JRS, it is just a matter of where and when. They can continue to get a bunch of parking money as well as the proceeds of a lease or get nothing and be stuck with a stadium with 8 games a year.

 

As a landlord I often negotiate the best deal I can get from a tenant. When I am negotiating I

sorry to continue...

 

When I am negotiating with the tenant terms of alease I am always cognizant of creating a situation that the tenant can be prosperous (I don't overly restrict signage or parking and I have stretch some rules during tough times in order for them to maximize revenues)

 

Why?

 

Because If a tenant can not prosper in a lease he will inevitably break the lease or go out of business.

 

John Henry is at fault for this lease not WH but he is just being greedy. That greed will leave him in a bad transaction - Joe Robbie Stadium

sorry to continue...

 

When I am negotiating with the tenant terms of alease I am always cognizant of creating a situation that the tenant can be prosperous (I don't overly restrict signage or parking and I have stretch some rules during tough times in order for them to maximize revenues)

 

Why?

 

Because If a tenant can not prosper in a lease he will inevitably break the lease or go out of business.

 

John Henry is at fault for this lease not WH but he is just being greedy. That greed will leave him in a bad transaction - Joe Robbie Stadium

Exactly. But the Marlins were planning on leaving fairly soon anyway, so H-bomb is stuck with JRS.

I hope you are right, Cape, about the media paradigm being shifted in S. Fl. Marlins2003 is very correct in his observation that the media has their interests in preserving the status quo - which is their jobs being secure. And since they are only competent when talking Dolphins, fan interest is starting to wain because of competition from other franchises. Such as the Marlins, Heat and even Panthers.

 

It has taken a while, too long, in fact, but the winning 'tradition' established by the Marlins (2 World Series championships since '97) are starting to take its toll. The Heat drew fairly well when they where successful in late 90's with Zo and Timmy. Now they are getting back to playoff contender with a very good, young team.

 

Meanwhile, the Dolphins have missed the playoffs for 2 straight seasons with a team that is arguably talented enough to go deep in the playoffs.

 

The tide is turning...this is good. South Florida demands a more balanced sports coverage.

Hialeah Race Track is struggling for votes might not even get to the final 4 :o

Jim King is trying to pressure Jeb from calling the legislators for a special session, but it still could happen and that would give time in case this Magic legislation cannot happen.

Jeb called back the legislature in October to pass Terri's Law allowing Jeb to take over Terri Shiavo's care. He can call back the legislature if he would like to pass a bill at his own discretion.

Jim King is trying to pressure Jeb from calling the legislators for a special session, but it still could happen and that would give time in case this Magic legislation cannot happen.

So Jeb is calling for a special session? I thought the plan was to just switch places with the Magic legislation in which the Marlins would be able to make in time. Do you think Jeb can gather up all his cronies up there in Talahassee and make this happen?

Jim King is trying to pressure Jeb from calling the legislators for a special session, but it still could happen and that would give time in case this Magic legislation cannot happen.

So Jeb is calling for a special session? I thought the plan was to just switch places with the Magic legislation in which the Marlins would be able to make in time. Do you think Jeb can gather up all his cronies up there in Talahassee and make this happen? Jeb is willing to call a special session if King doesn't get business done in time. It will not be because of only the Marlins bill, but the budget and other bills are usually why he calls the back.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.