If we trade anyone, it should be...

OmarUM483

CHOI!!!!

It is crazy to start thinking of moving Nunez out of here...He is a star potential player. If you want to trade anyone for bullpen help, it would be Choi.

If we trade Choi, we would move Conine to first and put Nunez in left. Cordero would back Conine up, in case he goes down. So trading Choi wont be the end of the world.

When you have a talent like Nunez who is finally playing great, (for the WS bandwagoners, we have been keeping Nunez in Triple-A Albuquerque waiting for him to finally flourish like this), you dont let him go. Its like building a bank account penny at a time, and then blowing it all in Vegas.

Choi is a good, young player. But he frankly does not fit the Marlins type of baseball. Nunez is a multi-dimentional player. He can run, switch hit, make doubles into triples, etc... Choi is just a power hitter...he does not have speed, doesnt hit for average, and is not a great fielder. I do not understand why some people consider Choi some type of god that cant be traded. Lets face it, he was never a starter and he does not fit in with the team's style of play.

I dont think we should trade anyone right now...this is ST after all. We should let the season start and give Choi and Nunez adequate opportunities to show who should who should really start. Trader Jack will make the right call.

I like Choi (I really do), but if we are trading anyone...its Choi...To trade Nunez is an abomination.

See you on Tuesday...Big C!!!!

Guest Juanky

I personally like the guy, but the clear answer here is Abe Nu?ez. The man's stock has never been so high. Plenty of team need OFers, most teams think they can just plug anyone into first and be successful. We already heard the rumors of a possible deal with LA for good relief pitching, so the possibilities are there. This guy could turn out awesome, he could turn out like garbage. Trade him for someone established and good and we'll be winning either way.

Guest Juanky

No, I won't. Denny Bautista could be better than Pedro, and I still won't mind cuz we won the Series. If the mission is accomplished the rest is irrelevent.

The reason we dont give a s*** about Preston was because he was going to get a big offer and we could afford him...Look at St.Louis, Pujols has been playing for peanuts ( I am not comparing Pujols with Nunez, but you know what I mean)

I dont see anyone crying over Denny Bautista right now or Don Levinski

Its funny, 2 days ago a post about trading Choi was seen as preposterous, yet now the idea of trading Nunez is seen as the answer. First and foremost, nobody should be traded as of yet, but there is validity in the argument for finding a spot for Nunez somewhere in the lineup. He has rightfully displayed that he should at least have the chance to be playing in the bigs, and many scouts have taken notice this spring. Give both of them an equal shot, and may the best man win. Personally, Nunez's tools fit in better with the team, but only time will tell. Incidentally, after reading an article about trader Jack in S.I. with regards to what factors he takes into consideration when filling out the lineup card, I'm confident we will be seeing a fair amount of Nunez mixed in here and there at the outset of the season.

Ok Nunez can blow up all he wants next season, But can nunez come in as a relief picher and hold down a close 1 run game?

Bullpen is our weakness, and it doesnt do us any good that our starters pour their life into 7 or 8 innings just to get it thrown away cause we wanted to keep abe nunez instead of dealing for a proven relief pitcher that couldve helped us in that moment.

Our offense is better than last years with or without nunez, we need more bullpen help. End of story

Its funny, 2 days ago a post about trading Choi was seen as preposterous, yet now the idea of trading Nunez is seen as the answer. First and foremost, nobody should be traded as of yet, but there is validity in the argument for finding a spot for Nunez somewhere in the lineup. He has rightfully displayed that he should at least have the chance to be playing in the bigs, and many scouts have taken notice this spring. Give both of them an equal shot, and may the best man win. Personally, Nunez's tools fit in better with the team, but only time will tell. Incidentally, after reading an article about trader Jack in S.I. with regards to what factors he takes into consideration when filling out the lineup card, I'm confident we will be seeing a fair amount of Nunez mixed in here and there at the outset of the season.

Its not about whats fair to one person, its about whats fair to a team and their fans. If the team can get good relief pitching that would help us win more games than Abe Nunez, then pull the trigger...see my spot above

Ok Nunez can blow up all he wants next season, But can nunez come in as a relief picher and hold down a close 1 run game?

Bullpen is our weakness, and it doesnt do us any good that our starters pour their life into 7 or 8 innings just to get it thrown away cause we wanted to keep abe nunez instead of dealing for a proven relief pitcher that couldve helped us in that moment.

Our offense is better than last years with or without nunez, we need more bullpen help. End of story

I don't want a trade just yet but if so then trade Choi. His stock is still valuable and he will probably fit in better in another team where right field isn't as deep because his speed for PPS isn't anything to drool over. With Stokes in the minors and waiting for his chance soon, trade Choi and move Conine and Cordero to first and when their time is up, move up Stokes. You will probably get better value for Choi than Nunez anyways, and Nunez will fit in better for the Marlins in the long run.

I don't want a trade just yet but if so then trade Choi. His stock is still valuable and he will probably fit in better in another team where right field isn't as deep because his speed for PPS isn't anything to drool over. With Stokes in the minors and waiting for his chance soon, trade Choi and move Conine and Cordero to first and when their time is up, move up Stokes. You will probably get better value for Choi than Nunez anyways, and Nunez will fit in better for the Marlins in the long run. you do realize how bad Stokes has played over the past year and a half right?

Why dont we just stay with the team as it is now. We have a luxury as it is right now with all this depth. And lets be careful here with spring stats. Ill point to wise words of the sun-sentinel:Ralph Milliard hit a franchise-best .531 in the 1997 Grapefruit League. Two springs later, Brant Brown led the club with a .447 mark.

Josh Booty led the team with 18 RBI one spring. Tony Saunders and Rafael Medina were the Marlins' preseason strikeout leaders in 1997 and 1998, respectively.

All are examples of why managers and front office types don't get worked up over spring training performances.

Conine, Choi, and Lowell have all had bad springs. Should we go with Damion Easly at third and Wil Cordero at first with Nunez in the outfield? Dont rely too much on spring.

Plus I think everyone is getting too worked up about the pen. Give Wayne, Perisho, and Phelps a chance. Fox and Benitez will be fine.

That is not the point, it is easier for the Marlins to sign a free agent first baseman if whoever they plug in fails to pan out than sign a legitimate free agent outfielder. If Nunez turns out to be the real deal, we will be able to have a solid young outfield at a reduced cost since two of them would be homegrown. If Stokes eventually becomes a dissapointment, the Marlins can always find a first baseman, yet finding a legitimate outfielder will cost them more and will be harder to find. By the way, I know Stokes has had a rough time with the average, but the power is there. Hopefully this year he will straighten things out.

Why dont we just stay with the team as it is now. We have a luxury as it is right now with all this depth. And lets be careful here with spring stats. Ill point to wise words of the sun-sentinel:

Ralph Milliard hit a franchise-best .531 in the 1997 Grapefruit League. Two springs later, Brant Brown led the club with a .447 mark.

Josh Booty led the team with 18 RBI one spring. Tony Saunders and Rafael Medina were the Marlins' preseason strikeout leaders in 1997 and 1998, respectively.

All are examples of why managers and front office types don't get worked up over spring training performances.

Conine, Choi, and Lowell have all had bad springs. Should we go with Damion Easly at third and Wil Cordero at first with Nunez in the outfield? Dont rely too much on spring.

Plus I think everyone is getting too worked up about the pen. Give Wayne, Perisho, and Phelps a chance. Fox and Benitez will be fine. Your sarcasm is weak an played out. I agree, nobody should be traded as of yet; I just wonder why everyone is so quick to pull the trigger on Nunez and not Choi.

I repeat, no trades as of yet, but why Nunez and not Choi?

I'm quite happy with the bullpen. It could use a bit of work for stretch run, but we'll have to see who is selling used parts at that time.

But if we are to trade someone right now it should be Nunez. This guy's stock is at its highest and plays a position that is in a demand yet has proven nothing at the major league level despite being 27 years old already. And he ranks well behind Cabrera, Hermida and Aguila for our outfield of the future.

BTW, Choi had a very respectable .771 OPS last year. I'm hoping for more of that.

Guest Jack1

We need to give the bullpen a chance. The regular season is much different than ST. I am sure the players and pitchers become much more focused. ST is too long. They basically play the same darn teams over and over.

You all think Fox is a shoe in for a great season but until he came to the Marlins late last summer, he had many surgeries and mostly struggled throughout his career. I hope he retains what happened last summer but you never know. Benitez....Sorry but having watched the Mets ALOT, I just don't have a lot of faith in him. Just hoping the change of scenery will make the difference.

Here's wishing the Marlins a great 2004 season!!

I'm still of a mind to trade Alex Gonzalez, who has value, if we're going to trade anyone. With Valdez about as major league ready as they get and even Cabs (which would fix alot of other roster issues), if you're going to trade for pitching, Gonzo will bring you the most with least downside.

Guest Juanky

That is not the point, it is easier for the Marlins to sign a free agent first baseman if whoever they plug in fails to pan out than sign a legitimate free agent outfielder. If Nunez turns out to be the real deal, we will be able to have a solid young outfield at a reduced cost since two of them would be homegrown. If Stokes eventually becomes a dissapointment, the Marlins can always find a first baseman, yet finding a legitimate outfielder will cost them more and will be harder to find. By the way, I know Stokes has had a rough time with the average, but the power is there. Hopefully this year he will straighten things out.

You are joking, right? 4th Outfielders are a dime a dozen in this league. You find three right now if you really wanted to. First Basemen with such raw abilities you do not come by everyday. First Base is not this super easy position you assume it to be.

I'm still of a mind to trade Alex Gonzalez, who has value, if we're going to trade anyone. With Valdez about as major league ready as they get and even Cabs (which would fix alot of other roster issues), if you're going to trade for pitching, Gonzo will bring you the most with least downside.

You really like that kid Valdez dont you. I dont see them trading Gonzalez a premier Defensive SS for a middle reliever. This team is built around Pitching and Defense and you would be breaking up either the best or one of the best DP combos in the league. Unless we get a stud for Gonazlez it wont happen.

You really like that kid Valdez dont you. I dont see them trading Gonzalez a premier Defensive SS for a middle reliever. This team is built around Pitching and Defense and you would be breaking up either the best or one of the best DP combos in the league. Unless we get a stud for Gonazlez it wont happen.

I can only go by what I've seen with my own eyes, and read, and everyone says Valdez is major league ready with sterling defensive skills. And while he doesn't have, and probably will never have AGon's home run power, he's a guy who can steal bases, hit for a better average and score more runs. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make, knowing others disagree.

I love AGon and my decision to champion him being traded has nothing to do with his demeanor or his play. I came to it by a process of elimination, who wouldn't you trade, and I factored in play, payroll and managing our roster over the next couple of years.

Alot of people, lol, almost everyone disagrees. That's okay with me.

Trading Gonzo would free up almost $5 1/2 million in payroll over the next two years that could be used to acquire relief pitching and still keep our payroll in balance, and at the same time help offset the projected increases our starters will be receiving in 2005 and beyond.