May 21, 200323 yr If Hollywood wrote scripts for baseball games, Dontrelle would be 3-0 with an .84 era by now. Unfortunately in the real world, kids with six (tha's right six) AA games under their belts almost always aren't ready to face major league hitters. It's no knock on Dontrelle that he isn't ready yet, but he isn't. He got out of this outing with his self-respect and not much else. I'm sure he's aware of how easily he could have gotten shelled tonight and if memory serves the same was true of his last start. Regardless of what it means to the Marlins, I'd give him a couple of more starts because we are that desperate and then he needs to go work on his game. He'll be back in September and we can go from there.
May 21, 200323 yr Back in September? He will be here for a while... maybe from now to September... It seems to me like he is just a little intiminated... Once he stops thinking about the fact that he's pitching against the best 5-tool player in the game (I.E. Vlad), he will get his groove on...lol
May 21, 200323 yr DW may get sent down, but i dont think so....I expect to see atleast another start out of him
May 21, 200323 yr Once he gets used to the spot light he'll be fine... But I think he is staying put here for a while...
May 21, 200323 yr Author What I said was that I expect him start a few more games, perhaps, two, perhaps three, before being sent down. I just think he hasn't the stuff to be here and if he wants to have a major league career he ought to have a few major league pitches in his reportoire. I'd love to see the kid turn it all around in his next start but I think the writing is on the wall. Time will tell.
May 21, 200323 yr Very few pitchers achieve immediate success when having limited experience in the higher levels of the minors. Calling up Willis was the Marlin front office pushing the panic button. He was not and is not ready for the big leagues. Of course there was really no other button to push, other than find some retread on the free agent scrapheap.
May 21, 200323 yr Dontrelle Willis now has an ERA of 7.07. That's way too high and an indicator that he was rushed. I'm willing to give him more time, but wish he could have learned in the minors. I'm just asking who could come and replace Dontrelle in the rotation? I don't know that the Fish have anyone in the organization that can perform batter. When is Redman coming back?
May 21, 200323 yr Nope DW is staying up here for a long time. IN a an interview he said he is expecting to be here for a long time and he never wants to go to the Minors again. He just had one rough start, why send him down?!? Lets see his next start...
May 21, 200323 yr DW just having control problems and throwing alot of pitches.DId DW had a control problem in the Minors?
May 21, 200323 yr DW just having control problems and throwing alot of pitches.DId DW had a control problem in the Minors? he had an era in the 1's..... does that answer your question?
May 21, 200323 yr Author Nope DW is staying up here for a long time. IN a an interview he said he is expecting to be here for a long time and he never wants to go to the Minors again. He just had one rough start, why send him down?!? Lets see his next start... Dontrelle doesn't exactly have alot of control over whether he stays or not. He's a one-way ticket away from eating at McDonalds again unless he can show he belongs here I think you're factually wrong that this was his only bad outing. His last game was much the same as this last one, at least in the early innings. He had men on base all the time, got some lucky outs. As for why send him down? Because he's just not ready to be here. He's has no major league pitch. No 97 mph fastball, no fall off the table curve, no damnable slider, all he's got is a decent changeup that only get's major leaguers out once before they've seen everything he can throw their way. Don't get me wrong, Dontrelle Willis is a major league pitcher in the making, I like the kid. It reminds me of Joe Strong, that first night he pitched in the majors, and a against the Yankees no less, this guy who had played in leagues around the world and in Podunk, finally making it to the bigs. He succeeded that night, I know I was crying and screaming on every pitch, and I'm sure so were thousands of other Marlins fans, but the point is, he just didn't have the stuff to make it on the bigs. Strong was at the end of his career, Dontrelle is at the beginning of his. Dontrelle has many great years ahead of him in the majors, this just isn't one of them.
May 21, 200323 yr If The Marlins do not turn the ship around and are out of it what's the point of pushing a prospect. Give him some more time to develop against lesser talent than pushing him.
May 21, 200323 yr If The Marlins do not turn the ship around and are out of it what's the point of pushing a prospect. Give him some more time to develop against lesser talent than pushing him. I agree unless DW shows he has control and pitches well.
May 21, 200323 yr Dontrelle doesn't exactly have alot of control over whether he stays or not. He's a one-way ticket away from eating at McDonalds again unless he can show he belongs here I think you're factually wrong that this was his only bad outing. His last game was much the same as this last one, at least in the early innings. He had men on base all the time, got some lucky outs. As for why send him down? Because he's just not ready to be here. He's has no major league pitch. No 97 mph fastball, no fall off the table curve, no damnable slider, all he's got is a decent changeup that only get's major leaguers out once before they've seen everything he can throw their way. Don't get me wrong, Dontrelle Willis is a major league pitcher in the making, I like the kid. In the Big leagues he hasnt had control because he is trying to hard to get a win. He belongs here. Also he does have a slider ( A Very good one!)...think of Randy Johnsons slider type...
May 21, 200323 yr DW just having control problems and throwing alot of pitches.DId DW had a control problem in the Minors? He has great stuff, even at the Major League level. He doesn't have the control he had down there though is because he is intiminated. He is thinking more about the fact that 5-time All-Star's are up against little young him. Once he starts thinking about the fact that he belongs there, pitching against plain old hitters, than he will do much better than what you have seen...
May 22, 200323 yr Author Also he does have a slider ( A Very good one!)...think of Randy Johnsons slider type... Oh Please
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.