Any stadium news?

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

this topic is becoming a lost cause! the marlins, the state,city and county are all being a bunch of hard heads. 2 weeks to go and this stadium deal is lee likely to happen with every day that passes, all parties are sitting on their asses and pointing at each other. I hope if the team leaves that an investigation is launched to see who is at fault. :thumbdown

I have a good source who is trying to broker a deal with the team. However, the Marlins are dragging their feet.

I cannot tell you the site or the deal because it is bound by a confidentiality agreement, but it's the Marlins, not the local government, that are blowing this!

I have a good source who is trying to broker a deal with the team. The site is to be donated to the team and the funding gap is to be filled. The location permits for other governmental permitting to be taken care of in an expedited fashion. However, the Marlins are dragging their feet.

I cannot tell you the site because it is bound by a confidentiality agreement, but it's the Marlins, not the local government, that are blowing this!

Are you serious ?

I have a good source who is trying to broker a deal with the team. The site is to be donated to the team and the funding gap is to be filled. The location permits for other governmental permitting to be taken care of in an expedited fashion. However, the Marlins are dragging their feet.

I cannot tell you the site because it is bound by a confidentiality agreement, but it's the Marlins, not the local government, that are blowing this!

Let's say by May 1st, no stadium deal goes through...think you could fill us in on this insider info you have by then?

I caught part of Goldberg's show this afternoon, and he was blaming the Marlins for not getting a deal done.

From what my source tells me, I've got to agree with Hank Goldberg. My source is shocked at how the Marlins are negotiating this and is convinced that they are not very bright when it comes to getting this stadium deal done.

Let's say by May 1st, no stadium deal goes through...think you could fill us in on this insider info you have by then?

I don't know. My word is my bond with this guy. We've known each other for years and I would not divulge anything he tells me unless it's public record.

Guest Moneyball

loria is no stranger to real-estate, they tried to build the stadium in montreal and failed but i don't know what kept it from happening in montreal.

Guest Moneyball

something should break in the paper (positive or negative) in the next couple days, every week and a half some news comes out. but if both parties want a deal badly nothing should come out (hopefully) until may 1st. everytime news comes out there's a period of back luck for the negotiations.

I lived in Montreal before Loria got there and the 'Spos were run by Claude Brochu and his ilk. They were trying to get that deal done back then (1996), but repeatedly the Province of Quebec kept telling the team that it had NO money to build "Labbat's Field" just a few blocks from what was then called the Centre Molson. If I recall, Loria really never made any inroads to getting that stadium built up there either!

I have a good source who is trying to broker a deal with the team. However, the Marlins are dragging their feet.

I cannot tell you the site or the deal because it is bound by a confidentiality agreement, but it's the Marlins, not the local government, that are blowing this!

can you hazard a guess on how likely it would be that your deal would happen (without divulging anything, of course)?

what you're getting from FatHank are half-truths. He says for example the Marlins can't build for $325 million but doesn't say the Marlins have commited publically on several occassions to fund any cost over-runs if they can control construction, which is what ultimately killed the OB.

FatHank says the Marlins wants to move but we see Loria pulling out the stops to bring people into the stadium and build a fan base. Anyone who saw the fireworks Saturday night were treated to a spectacle that didn't appear to me to be the kind of thing a guy on the way out of town.

I can't speak to the mystery location that's being discussed but we don;t know how appropriate that location is, whatkind of access it has, what environmental issues it might have or for that matter whether its a top of the list kind of site or something akin to the OB site, which was and is wholly inappropropriate for MLB if your're trying to serve all of South Florida.

FatHank's info I believe is coming from a pro-tourism group that wants the CDT dollars spent on tourism not on professional sports and includes at least one state senator, mayors of two city's and the GMCVB.

I lived in Montreal before Loria got there and the 'Spos were run by Claude Brochu and his ilk. They were trying to get that deal done back then (1996), but repeatedly the Province of Quebec kept telling the team that it had NO money to build "Labbat's Field" just a few blocks from what was then called the Centre Molson. If I recall, Loria really never made any inroads to getting that stadium built up there either!

god I love Montreal

the minority owners had this grand design for an elaborate and huge stadium that was unfundable. when loria took over he wanted to build a smaller, much more modest park but the minority ownerswould not accept the less grandiose project the new managing partner envisioned.

I loved Montreal as well. I lived off Ch. de la Cote-des-Neiges and Rue Sherbrooke and used to take the Metro to Expos games, especially when the Fish came to town. It was at Expos games that I realized how horrible it was to watch baseball in a dome. Plus, Stade Olympique is one God-awful place to watch a baseball game!

I can't say anything else about what I know. Hopefully everything works out and it will all be a matter of public record.

FatHank says the Marlins wants to move but we see Loria pulling out the stops to bring people into the stadium and build a fan base. Anyone who saw the fireworks Saturday night were treated to a spectacle that didn't appear to me to be the kind of thing a guy on the way out of town.

I couldn't agree with you more. Why try to build up a fan base here by providing fireworks and fielding a Championship team on the field when Loria is losing so much money on them, just to turn around and say "Well we can't afford to be here, so we are moving". It makes no sense whatsoever.

I loved Montreal as well. I lived off Ch. de la Cote-des-Neiges and Rue Sherbrooke and used to take the Metro to Expos games, especially when the Fish came to town. It was at Expos games that I realized how horrible it was to watch baseball in a dome. Plus, Stade Olympique is one God-awful place to watch a baseball game!

I can't say anything else about what I know. Hopefully everything works out and it will all be a matter of public record.

the most beautiful women in the world. And the food...

they used to have international fireworks expositions out on the island every summer. lolol thinking how bad the stadium construction was there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.