Five years later and worlds apart

Teal Shadow

:thumbup A great article in this week SI by Jeff Pearlman. I feel like it was just yesterday. Josh Hamilton and Josh Beckett were 1a and 1b in the 99' draft. I knew Dealin Dave always wanted Beckett over Hamilton. I hear someone yelled a loud yahoo when Hamilton went first to Tampa. Beckett was just those one of a lifetime pitcher. You know Beckett was 19 when he finish school and "if" he had graduated a year earlier he would have been a Phillie...hmmm Anyways pick up this weeks SI its a very good read.

As far as today game, well what could have been. Watching Vargas pitch last Wed. and today against our Fish, I wonder. Why did Beinfest give-up on this kid. I look at it like this he basically traded Justin Wayne for C.Vargas. I watched this kid pitch a few years back against the Braves during the spring. He got lite up, but you could see the stuff and knew he had it to be a very good pitcher up here. WHY? O well :confused

Yes, so for Wayne it was a even deal :thumbup

I believe that Claudio was out of his element in AAA. When he was traded and sent down to AA Harrisburg, he had an ERA of 4.64, but that was still better than the 4.85 ERA Wayne put up with the Sea Dogs after he was traded :o . If I were Beinfest, I would not have made that deal.

I just read the article, apparently Hamilton got a girl pregnant, she ran away on him after refusing to sign a pre-nup and that was his second broken marriage in a year.

He needs to get it together; that guy was so talented, I'd hate to see it wasted. Never want to rub it in, but their loss is our gain, but I hope Hamilton turns it around; him Crawford and Baldelli would be amazingly fun to watch...

If there is any hope of Hamilton turning it around, I would like the Marlins to deal for him. I think he is salvageable, but that would require some extreme measures by an organization.

One - ditch the parents. Keep them away and force this kid to grow up.

Two - find out who is someone he respects tremendously, and pay the guy to 'hang around'. If it is a former ballplayer, then maybe the guy could be a mentor/coach for him.

Three - foster his love for baseball. Dont stress the perform or die aspect of it, but the game itself. The simplicity and splendor of it. I am sure it will be much more appealing than any choice he is currently making.

I think he will re-surface. He is still very young and could turn it around very quickly.

But our Josh is quite a player.

Oh, and back to the original topic... the Rays not taking Beckett has to be one of the biggest moments in Marlins history.

Yes, so for Wayne it was a even deal :thumbup

I believe that Claudio was out of his element in AAA. When he was traded and sent down to AA Harrisburg, he had an ERA of 4.64, but that was still better than the 4.85 ERA Wayne put up with the Sea Dogs after he was traded :o . If I were Beinfest, I would not have made that deal.

Why do you hate Wayne so much? Seems like you are always ready to be negative about him. Did he steal one of your cookies or something?

Isnt Wayne one of Loria's favorites.

Yes, he was, although I can't see why. Wayne was drafted #5 overall in 2001 by Loria's Montreal Expos. Loria paid Wayne a $3 million signing bonus out of Stanford. Loria was instrumental in getting Wayne to the Marlins in the Cliff Floyd deal a couple of years ago.

Guest Juanky

Welcome

And I read the article yesterday, good stuff. Him in the outfield with Crawford and Baldelli would definately be a fun thing to watch.