Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

This season's biggest complaint accross MLB

Featured Replies

I have talked to fans of different teams in both leagues and watched games in both leagues and the umpiring has been inconsistent and they vacilate too much during a game.

 

Do any of you notice this problem?

 

The portable strike zone is a big complaint so far by many.

I just started watching baseball near the end of the season last year. But from what I see it seems like some of the umpires are either not paying close enough attention or they make hasty calls.

I have to say 'Yes', but it could be a fluke. We could see good calls for the most part, from now on. I know they are trying to do their best.

I am watching the Braves game right now...the ump is horrible! The Astros and the Braves have both argued with him a lot...and both managers arent the type of managers that argue a lot.

bobby cox doesnt normally argue?

 

well anyway the other day i saw the highlights of a mariners-twins game.

 

2 plays at the plate with the twins trying to score, both twins were called out when the replay showed they were both safe.

 

extra innings, mariners trying to score, play at the plate: runner called safe, replay showed he was out and the mariners won the game.

 

i was laughing but shaking my head at the same time. that s*** was bad

bobby cox doesnt normally argue?

 

well anyway the other day i saw the highlights of a mariners-twins game.

 

2 plays at the plate with the twins trying to score, both twins were called out when the replay showed they were both safe.

 

extra innings, mariners trying to score, play at the plate: runner called safe, replay showed he was out and the mariners won the game.

 

i was laughing but shaking my head at the same time. that s*** was bad

He is a calm guy...anyways its the Astros manager that is having most of the problems...the umps strike zone is messed up. Thats why there are currently no hits in the game.

bobby cox doesnt normally argue?

 

well anyway the other day i saw the highlights of a mariners-twins game.

 

2 plays at the plate with the twins trying to score, both twins were called out when the replay showed they were both safe.

 

extra innings, mariners trying to score, play at the plate: runner called safe, replay showed he was out and the mariners won the game.

 

i was laughing but shaking my head at the same time. that s*** was bad

He is a calm guy...anyways its the Astros manager that is having most of the problems...the umps strike zone is messed up. Thats why there are currently no hits in the game. wow...finally there's a hit! Double by J.D. Drew!

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist:

 

Bobby Cox is usually calm????????? What the ... ?????????

 

Cox always leads the league in ejections. These stats should open your eyes:

 

Manager Ejections (2000-2003)

Source: Major League Baseball?

 

Manager? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Club? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Total?

Bobby Cox? ? ? ? ? ? Atlanta? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 29?

Jerry Manuel? ? ? Chicago WS? ? ? ? ? ? ? 13?

Admin Bowa? ? ? ? Philadelphia? ? ? ? ? ? ? 13?

Bruce Bochy? ? ? ? San Diego? ? ? ? ? ? ? 11?

Jimy Williams? ? Houston/Boston? ? ? ? ? 11?

Charlie Manuel? ? ? ? Cleveland? ? ? ? ? ? 11?

Mike Hargrove Baltimore 10

Tony LaRussa St. Louis 10

Davey Lopes Milwaukee 8

Ron Gardenhire Minnesota 8

Lloyd McClendon Pittsburgh 8

Lou Piniella Tampa Bay/Seattle 8

Bobby Valentine New York 8

Phil Garner Detroit 7

Bob Brenly Arizona 7

Mike Scioscia Anaheim 6

Joe Torre New York 6

Admin Rothschild Tampa Bay 6

Hal McRae Tampa Bay 6

Art Howe Oakland/New York 5

Bob Boone Cincinnati 5

Tony Muser Kansas City 5

Clint Hurdle Colorado 5

Grady Little Boston 5

Frank Robinson Montreal 4

Jim Tracy Los Angeles 4

Dusty Baker San Francisco/Chicago 3

Felipe Alou Montreal/San Francisco 2

Tony Pena Kansas City 2

Eric Wedge Cleveland 2

Buck Showalter Arizona/Texas 1

Ken Macha Oakland 1

Jack McKeon Florida/Cincinnati 1

Carlos Tosca Toronto 1

Alan Trammell Detroit 1

Ned Yost Milwaukee 1

 

Mike Fish on manager ejections (SI.com)

 

As for the vote, I voted "NO." I think anyone who has watched MLB for an extended period of time knows that umps have always been like this. And while I certainly disagree with calls from time to time, most of the time they seem to get it right.

The umps are fine, besides the occasional bad calls that happen and inconsistent strike zones which happen rarely, they do a good job and don't make nearly as many mistakes as refs in the NBA and NFL.

 

The umpiring this season is not even close to how bad it was just a few years ago and it is definitely not the biggest complaint of this season. Of course the fans you talked to are going to say the umps suck, all fans do. It doesn't matter if they make a crucial call in your favor or anything... fans will always say that the umps suck no matter what.

Bad calls happen all the time, it just seems that we've been unlucky enough to get a lot of those calls to go against us. I don't think that it's all that much worse this year than last year. Bad calls are a part of the game...

While there have been a few questionable calls, I don't see much of a difference this year compared to past years. Overall I believe the Umps do a pretty good job.

I think the bad calls around the field happen all the time, they have just been put under a microscope this season for some reason.

 

The strike zone, however, has been floating like a cuban balsero heading for freedom. Be bad, be good, be consistent at whichever you choose. Changing your mind in the middle of an at bat is ridiculous, and it has been happening.

 

In other news I absolutely despise how when umpires make a call on the basepaths they turn around and walk away. Makes it seem like they made the wrong every single time and are glad they shafted you.

I would like to see the ball or strike decision taken away from umpires.

 

 

By this I mean let them do everything else, just remove the game changing bad call on a pitch 5 " off the plate.

 

Use lasers or whatever to put a strike zone that is stable better for umps,better for batters,pitchers,managers,fans and everyones blood pressure.

 

At the very least have a re-play system that could be viewed on the field by the umpires.

 

What do you think? :blink:

I don't really mind human strike zones.

 

Just weed the umps out that can't keep it consistent.

I would like to see the ball or strike decision taken away from umpires.

:banghead

 

Why don't we take the human element out of it completely and just simulate the whole season?

Who are we the fans going to use as scape goat when the game doesn't go our way?

 

The human error adds another element of exitement to the game.

I voted no because even though every ump has a different strike zone, 95% of the time they're pretty consistent. The other 5% is the time when we get screwed. >_

I haven't seen a huge difference when it comes to comparing umpring this year to umpiring in the past.

 

Maybe I'm being a little soft because I've started umping Little League games, so I know what it's like. :blink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.