May 17, 200422 yr Reliever. Preferably a hard throwing righthander with a sinkerball. Doesn't have to have to be a big name (and the big salary that comes along with it). Just some guy that's willing to throw strikes and has some decent stuff. And bring up Willingham.
May 17, 200422 yr Hitter. Now. Bullpen guy can't hold on to any lead if his hitters don't give him leads. Bullpen guy can't play every day. A guy like Jason Kendall or Orlando Cabrera COULD completely change this offense. It's certainly not going to make us worse. This obsession with Jason Kendall is a waste of space. He earns $8 mil this year, and by 2007 he'll be 35 years old and making $14 million a year. I think it's a combined $42 million between now and the end of his contract. The only thing Jason Kendall can do for this team is bankrupt it. If you want to make sure AJ, Beckett, Pavano and Penny leave, then sign Kendall because we won't be able to afford their raises AND pay Kendall. Can I make a small correction to your argument...Kendall would be 33 in 07' same age Pudge is right now. As far as the money yes is alot money to pay a player with no power, but if Kendall is trade at all the pirates will have to eat at least half of that contract making him a 7 million dollar player to any team that trade for him. That's all continue
May 17, 200422 yr Author After reading the several posts made by all of you guys I made my decision. I was neutral at first, but now my mind has been made up. We need another bat. Our offense is just too poor right now. Our offense was slightly better last year when we won the WS and we didn't have the best bullpen but our bats got Looper and Ugie out of jams. We need a bat and mainly at the catcher position. I miss you Pudge
May 17, 200422 yr Hitter. Now. Bullpen guy can't hold on to any lead if his hitters don't give him leads. Bullpen guy can't play every day. A guy like Jason Kendall or Orlando Cabrera COULD completely change this offense. It's certainly not going to make us worse. This obsession with Jason Kendall is a waste of space. He earns $8 mil this year, and by 2007 he'll be 35 years old and making $14 million a year. I think it's a combined $42 million between now and the end of his contract. The only thing Jason Kendall can do for this team is bankrupt it. If you want to make sure AJ, Beckett, Pavano and Penny leave, then sign Kendall because we won't be able to afford their raises AND pay Kendall. Can I make a small correction to your argument...Kendall would be 33 in 07' same age Pudge is right now. As far as the money yes is alot money to pay a player with no power, but if Kendall is trade at all the pirates will have to eat at least half of that contract making him a 7 million dollar player to any team that trade for him. That's all continue So you believe the Pirates will eat $20 million to get rid of Kendall? Personally I think it's farfetched, but even it works out that way, the Marlins are last team (having gotten rid of Wilson and Johnson and still paying Hampton) to take on a banjo-hitting catcher for that kind of money..
May 17, 200422 yr Castro is just awful right now and doesn't provide much in the way of defense like A-Gon. We have two possible in-house solutions with Willy and Treanor. Bring one up and protect him with Redmond. Either send Castro down or trade his ass for an arm.
May 17, 200422 yr We need both a lot. But I think that if we would only be able to get one-I would get a reliever. Or even a starting pitcher. Because at the beg. of the season we were doing great when we were pitching really good. And even if we dont score a lot of runs we could still win. The fact is that pitching is more important than hitting. Pitching wins you ballgames. And our offense IMO isnt really that bad. We just have some players who are in little slumps. And everyone slumps-but a few people arent hitting at the same time. I think we can get over it. But our bullpen is a much bigger problem. We relyed on Fox a lot and now we lost him. We dont really have anyone in the bullpen besides Armando who has played a lot in the majors and really domianted. And we need someone like that. And I would prefer a veteran.
May 17, 200422 yr Hitter. Now. Bullpen guy can't hold on to any lead if his hitters don't give him leads. Bullpen guy can't play every day. A guy like Jason Kendall or Orlando Cabrera COULD completely change this offense. It's certainly not going to make us worse. This obsession with Jason Kendall is a waste of space. He earns $8 mil this year, and by 2007 he'll be 35 years old and making $14 million a year. I think it's a combined $42 million between now and the end of his contract. The only thing Jason Kendall can do for this team is bankrupt it. If you want to make sure AJ, Beckett, Pavano and Penny leave, then sign Kendall because we won't be able to afford their raises AND pay Kendall. Can I make a small correction to your argument...Kendall would be 33 in 07' same age Pudge is right now. As far as the money yes is alot money to pay a player with no power, but if Kendall is trade at all the pirates will have to eat at least half of that contract making him a 7 million dollar player to any team that trade for him. That's all continue So you believe the Pirates will eat $20 million to get rid of Kendall? Personally I think it's farfetched, but even it works out that way, the Marlins are last team (having gotten rid of Wilson and Johnson and still paying Hampton) to take on a banjo-hitting catcher for that kind of money.. Boy Marlins2003 your really down on Kendall One thing if the Marlins did ask about and trade for Kendall with the payroll being what it is because of the Hampton and Pudge contract still on books for another year. I would think the Marlins would ask to pay the latter part of deal to able to acquire and pay him at the end of his contract. :hat but we'll just have to disagree with him as a player
May 18, 200422 yr If Jason Kendall made $3 million a year I would be singing a different tune. It's all about the money. I'm not down on him as a player.
May 18, 200422 yr definitely bullpen arms....we don't need bats guys! we just need to fix some holes in our lineup, like the catcher spot, for example. Come on, our lineup is solid, I'd trust any of those guys out there. Those who are struggling will pick it up as the season advances. Take Castillo for example, we all know he'll be batting .300+ by September. The only thing that disgusts me about this lineup is Ramon Castro, he's simply unnaceptable. As for Agon, we've already discussed this, as long as he gives us. 250 I'll be happy.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.