Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is more of a necessity?

Featured Replies

It doesn't matter which is MORE of a necessity. What matters is if both are in fact a need. In this case, both are.

Both are needed, but I'd have to side with a pen arm first. Our starters (well, the real ones) have crafted leads for the most part beautifully, minimizing the important of the offense when they are performing even decently well. But we need someone in the pen who we can go to keep that lead, because Big Poppa can't pitch every night.

We need two pitchers.

 

Real pitchers. We don't need guys with potential. We need guys who know how to pitch and can.

 

We can't count on AJ being back June 2 or being effective for any period of time. We can't count on Chad Fox coming back in July or August.

 

Go get a couple of guys now that Jack can depend on. It's a good thing he goes to church everyday. I can hear him now, "Father I have sinned. I wanted to strangle Admin Beinfest for giving me these guys. I mean I really wanted to strangle him, if I could have gotten by Jennings, I think I would have.

 

Why the hell, sorry, why the heck didn't he get me Reitsma and Cruz? I get Gracesqui and Bump. Help me Lord."

not sure what the Braves gave up for Cruz, but they paid a hefty toll for Reitsma

I see the need for pitchers, but I think we've got a lot of in house options (Tejera, Howard, etc) that we haven't experimented with this year. I mean, Borland seems to have turned some sort of a corner, so the same could be expected of Tejera.

 

Our hitting, however, is a massive problem and there is no real solution in our system. Our two big blue chippers (Stokes and Hermida) are at least one year away from being even a thought, although if Stokes keeps tearing it up and Choi and Cordero keep struggling...who knows?

 

Anyway, I think we need to find some way to kick start the hitting, and with Gonzalez's defense saving his job, I think catcher has become our biggest hole. I miss Pudge, watching Castro allow the Cardinals (of all teams!) to run wild on him frustrated the hell out of me. Not only can Castro not hit now, he can't throw a guy out. Say what you want about 'Mando having a slow delivery, but the guy also throws 97-98 mph, the ball's getting to the catcher in a hurry, and they ran on Penny too, something that hasn't traditionally been done. Give me a new catcher, and hurry!

I'll even go so far as to say why we need a bat, any bat:

 

Pitchers can't win you games if they don't have a lead. We can stockpile all the arms in the world, but if we can't consistently put up 3-5 runs a game, we're just not going to win...simple as that.

They are both needs, but the bullpen arm is a far bigger need.

 

Get a bullpen arm to go with this staff, and the offense can just do ok and the marlins will win more than it's fair share of games.

I'm not really too worried about the offense because it isn't like the marlins are getting a lack of hits, its just the hits with men on base. They will come eventually. Need one game to score a ton of runs and get the confidence up. Bullpen arm I would say definitely need one. This also can come at a much cheaper price I think. The need for a true setup man is so obvious. Urbina did it last year along with Fox and Helling. Maybe a move simple as that picking someone up that gets cut eventually. We will see as the season moves on. One thing is can't be afraid to send guys down if they are really struggling

not sure what the Braves gave up for Cruz, but they paid a hefty toll for Reitsma

Jung Bong is a hefty toll? and Bubba Nelson

 

 

 

I thought he was good, maybe I mistook him for someone

not sure what the Braves gave up for Cruz, but they paid a hefty toll for Reitsma

Jung Bong is a hefty toll? and Bubba Nelson

 

 

 

I thought he was good, maybe I mistook him for someone nah, I think the better part of the deal was Bong

 

 

... they basically got Reitsma for nothing

The hitting needs to be addressed. Yes, the bully pitching is suspect, but with the complete lack of offense it's irrelevant.

 

Yes, Luis will heal, and so will Red, and Conine will get it going soon. But players like Choi and Castro are slumping at best, and Gonzalez is like he always is, horrible. The lineup needs a stable, consistent offensive performer, b/c the way it stands now complete offensive success falls soley on the shoulders of three guys who, luckily enough, are hitting very, very well right now.

 

But before the FO sells it's soul I'd like to see some serious lineup changes. Jack hasn't upset the applecart enough yet, especially considering the putrid performances of late offensively.

 

Give Red the more of the starts (say, 5 of the 6 a week), keep Luis down at 6 until he heals, Give Nunez some significant PT and sit Gonzalez a lot more, say at least twice a week. That'll get their attention.

Hitter. Now.

 

Bullpen guy can't hold on to any lead if his hitters don't give him leads.

 

Bullpen guy can't play every day.

 

A guy like Jason Kendall or Orlando Cabrera COULD completely change this offense. It's certainly not going to make us worse.

im going with the bullpen on that one , im tired of seeing the same guys mess it up allowing a run or two im always worring about how many innings the pitcher can go , as to the offense which we do need but he have a few soild bats already.

Hitter. Now.

 

Bullpen guy can't hold on to any lead if his hitters don't give him leads.

 

Bullpen guy can't play every day.

 

A guy like Jason Kendall or Orlando Cabrera COULD completely change this offense. It's certainly not going to make us worse.

 

This obsession with Jason Kendall is a waste of space.

 

He earns $8 mil this year, and by 2007 he'll be 35 years old and making $14 million a year. I think it's a combined $42 million between now and the end of his contract.

 

The only thing Jason Kendall can do for this team is bankrupt it. If you want to make sure AJ, Beckett, Pavano and Penny leave, then sign Kendall because we won't be able to afford their raises AND pay Kendall.

I agree with marlins2003 on Kendall. it is not like he has a one year deal that his current team can absorb most of. Kendall's contract is to tough to swallow under any circumstance.

 

As far as what we need, I think the team needs a veteran hitter in the lineup. We are not getting enough clutch hits. Yes we desperately need a veteran arm in the pen but right now the price will be too high. We can get a couple of "David Weathers" type guys closer to the deadline.

not sure what the Braves gave up for Cruz, but they paid a hefty toll for Reitsma

Jung Bong is a hefty toll? and Bubba Nelson

 

 

 

I thought he was good, maybe I mistook him for someone nah, I think the better part of the deal was Bong

 

 

... they basically got Reitsma for nothing Nelson was the Braves #3 prospect going into this year

we definitely need a pitcher. i'm sick of them bringing up minor leaguers. we have lost so may games because the 'pen can't hold a 3 run lead in the 7th and 8th.

Wil Cordero for Rocky Biddle. You guys get the reliever you need and the Spos get some well needed RH power off the bench.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*hopes no one notices Biddle's inflated era* :mischief

Wil Cordero for Rocky Biddle. You guys get the reliever you need and the Spos get some well needed RH power off the bench.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*hopes no one notices Biddle's inflated era* :mischief

Biddle cant do jack crap this year

 

that being said

 

done deal.

 

:huh

i miss fudge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

 

*goes into bathroom and washes dirty mouth*

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.