Military Draft Bills

Shamrock

Congress considers draft

THE BILL WOULD KEEP STUDENTS FROM AVOIDING SERVICE

By AMANDA KING

Alligator Contributing Writer

Pending legislation in Congress could reinstate the military draft, but this time, college and Canada will not be viable options to avoid military duty.

Twin bills, S 89 and HR 163, have yet to reach the floor of either legislative body, but if the bills pass, the draft could be reinstated as early as next spring.

?These bills are more of a protest to say, ?Quit sending minority and working class citizens to war,?? political science professor David Hedge said.

The bills state that students will not be able to use their education as a way to get out of the draft. If drafted, underclassmen would be able to finish out their current semesters, and seniors would be permitted to finish out their final year.

?It scares me,? Hedge said. ?Is this the government?s way of telling me we will be in more wars??

The Selective Service System has begun preparing for the possible draft. The 2004 SSS budget included an additional $28 million to fund the program. If the bill is approved, the SSS must report by March 31, 2005, that the system is ready for activation.

?The war in Iraq has become based on a presidential agenda,? said UF junior, Curtis D. Purvis. ?I shouldn?t be pulled away from college to fight in a war I do not support.? Hedge said that if the government paid troops better and provided better health care for their families, raising a sufficient amount of voluntary troops would not be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Congress considers draft

By AMANDA KING

Pending legislation in Congress could reinstate the military draft, but this time, college and Canada will not be viable options to avoid military duty.

Twin bills, S 89 and HR 163, have yet to reach the floor of either legislative body, but if the bills pass, the draft could be reinstated as early as next spring.

?These bills are more of a protest to say, ?Quit sending minority and working class citizens to war,?? political science professor David Hedge said.

The bills state that students will not be able to use their education as a way to get out of the draft. If drafted, underclassmen would be able to finish out their current semesters, and seniors would be permitted to finish out their final year.

?It scares me,? Hedge said. ?Is this the government?s way of telling me we will be in more wars??

The Selective Service System has begun preparing for the possible draft. The 2004 SSS budget included an additional $28 million to fund the program. If the bill is approved, the SSS must report by March 31, 2005, that the system is ready for activation.

?The war in Iraq has become based on a presidential agenda,? said UF junior, Curtis D. Purvis. ?I shouldn?t be pulled away from college to fight in a war I do not support.? Hedge said that if the government paid troops better and provided better health care for their families, raising a sufficient amount of voluntary troops would not be a problem.

Any thoughts? Didn't I tell you Shammy????? I posted a while back something regarding the draft, and some here made fun of me... Well guess what losers? Feel like sticking to your word that Bush's war is necessary? How do you feel about going to fight and dying for your shrub in a war that is futile?

Congress considers draft

By AMANDA KING

Any thoughts? It better not happen if the guys in Congress like their jobs. A volunteer army will always do better than a drafted army.

S89

Sen Hollings, Ernest F. [sC]

HR163

Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15]

Two democrats, what a surprise. Not even a cosponsor.

Notwithstanding recent stories in the news media and on the Internet, Selective Service is not getting ready to conduct a draft for the U.S. Armed Forces -- either with a special skills or regular draft. Rather, the Agency remains prepared to manage a draft if and when the President and the Congress so direct. This responsibility has been ongoing since 1980 and is nothing new. Further, both the President and the Secretary of Defense have stated on more than one occasion that there is no need for a draft for the War on Terrorism or any likely contingency, such as Iraq. Additionally, the Congress has not acted on any proposed legislation to reinstate a draft. Therefore, Selective Service continues to refine its plans to be prepared as is required by law, and to register young men who are ages 18 through 25.

From the SSS website.

That wasnt my point-whether girls are subject to the draft. My point is that he shouldnt be callous about sending others people children off to fight his war for oil. Youve got a lot of nerve talking to people the way you do.

It is not a war for oil. How can someone be so intelligent and be so blinded?

That wasnt my point-whether girls are subject to the draft. My point is that he shouldnt be callous about sending others people children off to fight his war for oil. Youve got a lot of nerve talking to people the way you do.

It is not a war for oil. How can someone be so intelligent and be so blinded? Please tell us what is the purpose of this "war"?

I hope Bush's daughters are the first picked.? Maybe then hell see how much oil is worth.

girls are not subject to the draft genius. Uhmmm Think again... The proposal is asking for women to be included in the draft as well... Even though I wasnt arguing that point, I thought that to be the case. Once again, Cape opens his big mouth and is flat wrong.

I hope Bush's daughters are the first picked.? Maybe then hell see how much oil is worth.

girls are not subject to the draft genius. Uhmmm Think again... The proposal is asking for women to be included in the draft as well... never would happen. NOW and other Women special interest organizations will take it to court with the support of the White House and Republicans.

That wasnt my point-whether girls are subject to the draft.? My point is that he shouldnt be callous about sending others people children off to fight his war for oil.? Youve got a lot of nerve talking to people the way you do.

It is not a war for oil. How can someone be so intelligent and be so blinded? Please tell us what is the purpose of this "war"? The purpose of this war is/was to eliminate the threat of Saddam Hussein's regime and move Iraq towards a democracy that will help cut terrorist activity in that country.

girls are not subject to the draft genius. Uhmmm Think again... The proposal is asking for women to be included in the draft as well... never would happen. NOW and other Women special interest organizations will take it to court with the support of the White House and Republicans. Republicans supporting women's rights? :blink:

:lol aaahaahaha That has to be the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Anyhow, there will be massive protests and riots if this bill ever makes it through the senate... At least I hope there are enough people like me who still stand to question their leaders...

That wasnt my point-whether girls are subject to the draft.? My point is that he shouldnt be callous about sending others people children off to fight his war for oil.? Youve got a lot of nerve talking to people the way you do.

It is not a war for oil. How can someone be so intelligent and be so blinded? Please tell us what is the purpose of this "war"? The purpose of this war is/was to eliminate the threat of Saddam Hussein's regime and move Iraq towards a democracy that will help cut terrorist activity in that country. I thought I'd just remind you once more... Saddam Hussein had no ties with Al-Qaeda... Yeah, remember Osama Bin Laden, the most wanted guy, who President Bush now says is not thinking too much about???

Yeah there are terrorists in Iraq, President Bush helped bring them in to kill our troops.

girls are not subject to the draft genius.

Uhmmm Think again... The proposal is asking for women to be included in the draft as well...

never would happen. NOW and other Women special interest organizations will take it to court with the support of the White House and Republicans.

Republicans supporting women's rights? :blink:

:lol aaahaahaha That has to be the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Anyhow, there will be massive protests and riots if this bill ever makes it through the senate... At least I hope there are enough people like me who still stand to question their leaders...

That wasnt my point-whether girls are subject to the draft. My point is that he shouldnt be so callous about sending others people children off to fight his war for oil. Youve got a lot of nerve talking to people the way you do.

The legislation was introduced my Democrats, GENIUS.

Durr.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.