Missing Pudge...

The answer to all those who need a Pudge fix?

Javy Lopez.

You really think Lopez is available?

Even the Baltimore fans understood that this was a 2 year "rebuilding" process. Last offseason was the offensive upgrade, this is meant to be the pitching upgrade. Lopez may be available this time next year, but not until they've had a chance to load up on some FA pitching in the offseason.

Kendall may be available though :mischief2 ...

The answer to all those who need a Pudge fix?

Javy Lopez.

You really think Lopez is available?

Even the Baltimore fans understood that this was a 2 year "rebuilding" process. Last offseason was the offensive upgrade, this is meant to be the pitching upgrade. Lopez may be available this time next year, but not until they've had a chance to load up on some FA pitching in the offseason.

Kendall may be available though :mischief2 ...

The Orioles have to be very close to throwing in the towel for 2004. Ownership and the FO can't ignore the reality that no amount of free agent $$$ in 2005 is going to make this team competitive against the BoSox and Yankees for the foreseeable future.

There have been published rumors that Angelos is considering selling the team, having seen the handwriting on the wall regarding the Expos relocation.

Is Javy Lopez available? I don't know, let me be the first to admit that, but neither does anyone else here at marlinsbaseball.com.

Anyone who says he's not available is simply speculating.

And while Lopez wouldn't come cheap, at least from a financial standpoint he's about the same cost as what the Marlins were offering Pudge this winter.

What I do know is that we need another bat (or two) in the lineup and the obvious positions where we need an upgrade (productivity-wise) is in the outfield and at catcher (no offense to Red, I love the guy, and Treanor too, but this is about winning). Kendall is a banjo-hitting financial timebomb whereas Lopez has a swing tailored to PPS, hits well on the road (we finish the season with a back-breaking roadtrip) and is playing for a team that will be lucky to not finish last in their division with no hope of doing markedly better in 2005.

It's probably a longshot but its inconceivable to me that Beinfest hasn't or won't be talking to Baltimore about Lopez. The need is there, Beinfest is no slouch, we'll see what happens.

We definately miss Pudge, who wouldn't. He is one of the greatest catchers of ALL-TIME. Saying that I don't think we need a catcher!

Redmond is batting near .400 with RISP and should be moved higher in the lineup a lot sooner than he was. BAT HIM 3RD!!!

We need a LF, personally I wouldn't mind seeing Dontrelle playing there a couple of times a week! He can't be much worse at fielding than Cabs and we know he has a good arm!

With Treanor backing up Redmond catcher is not a need.

What I miss is...

- a certain centerfielder's leads off first base and willingness to challenge outfield arms.

- a certain second baseman who could perform in the clutch.

- a certain third baseman turned rightfielder's attacking spirit to the game who once hit deep flies instead of groundouts and could get timely hits.

- and a team who put baseball ahead of their egos and their health above their girlfriends and public profiles.

- a certain manager who made unorthodox moves when it came to the basepaths and late-inning substitutions, not one who starts bench players every other day.

Pudge's presence or 'leadership' :lol ain't going to fix that.

As much as I love Pudge and everything, I don't think we need him to win either. He didn't the WS for us last year, we won it as a team.

Sure, sometimes you miss his presence and right now I miss him more than ever, but I think that we will come through. The potential is there. All we have to do is act upon it.

This is not about a catcher. This is about a guy that

1. Can hit in the clutch

2. Can provide leadership to the rest of the team.

I don't think you can get the second one from Javy Lopez, as for Kendall I do not know.

Very true. Look at what he has done in Detroit.

"...With Treanor backing up Redmond catcher is not a need."

Yeah, that combo really strikes fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers everywhere :banghead Look around the majors those two are above-average for their position. The Posadas, Pudges and Kendalls are very rare. You don't want to overpay for a guy who will only play 130 games a year.

1. Can hit in the clutch

I don't think you can get the second one from Javy Lopez, as for Kendall I do not know.

What exactly is there in Javy's background that would lead you to make a comment like that?

Unless you have some insight into his demeanor onfield and in the clubhouse that most of us aren't privy to how do you know what leadership qualities he has or he hasn't?

What we need is another big bat in the lineup who can deliver in the clutch (praying Sham doesn't read this :whistle ) and pose enough of a threat that he affects how pitchers pitch to the guy in front of him.

The reason Mike Lowell, for example, is not doing well right now is directly attributable to who hits behind him. Admittedly I like Javy Lopez for the job (although you might sandwich Choi in between the two righties) and others have their own favorites, but the point is what a team strive to do (ala "Murderer's Row") is bunch your production guys together.

Of course landing Lopez is a longshot to be sure and probably outside of the realm of possibility but using him as an example - Cabs, Lowell, Choi, Lopez, Conine/left fielder is a far superior offensive threat that the same lineup with Redmond (or Treanor) in Lopez' spot.

Choi gets better at bats because Lopez is behind him. An improved Choi benefits Cabs and Lowell. It's called protection.

In no way am I qualified to rate Javy's leadership ability except that I never heard anything negative. Right now I'll settle for a guy who hits .300 and will hit 25+ homeruns this season.

As for Kendall, he's finally showed some leadership qualities in Pittsburgh and perhaps he'd bring them here but one thing he doesn't have is winning experience. Again, not to put JLo on a pedestal, but he's played on alot of winning teams (in Atlanta) throughout the years and knows what it takes to win. That has value.

1. Can hit in the clutch

1. You do realize Pudge hit .194 with the game close after the 7th inning, right? He came up with runners on base, but ouldn't have led the league as he did if JP and Luiy weren't batting ahead of him and running.

2. What leadership? Mike Redmond led the pitcher catcher meetings. Redmond, Mike Mordecai, Todd Hollandsworth and the guys on the bench were the real leaders last year. They kept things light and the team played with fun feeling no pressure. Anyone else noticed that the team has gone flat once we've gone up a game or two on the Phillies?

anyways my boy Conine had another RBI yesterday...... that 7 Rbi's in the last 7 games...... and 28 4 the season.....

im not worried, rumors are where gonna make like 3-5 moves the FO is gonna do something cuz being 4 games ova 500 in the 2 weakest divison in the game this is all pitaful.......