Foulke reluctantly packs away cap!

Guest Jack1

Guest Jack1

Has anyone else read this? Here is the url: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1833877#

If it ticks you off like it did me, click on this url and let MLB have it!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/help/contact_us.jsp

If anyone else has an email address for MLB, please post here.

A friend sent me this story and I just couldn't believe it! Bud Selig really is a dictator! Maybe he should defect to Cuba!

Guys, the reason why you cannot allow it for an individual is what if Choi wants a S. Korean flag and the next guy an Italian flag and the next guy a peace symbol and the next guy the Star of David?

Though Foulke's intentions are right on MLB cannot allow individual expression on uniforms that represent the teams and MLB.

Guys, the reason why you cannot allow it for an individual is what if Choi wants a S. Korean flag and the next guy an Italian flag and the next guy a peace symbol and the next guy the Star of David?

Though Foulke's intentions are right on MLB cannot allow individual expression on uniforms that represent the teams and MLB.

438645[/snapback]

But can't a guy show patriotism on independance day? This is America's pasttime.

:usaflag

438645[/snapback]

But can't a guy show patriotism on independance day? This is America's pasttime.

438653[/snapback]

all of the baseball players will have a US flag on Sunday, but thats a special event, foulke wants to do it everyday and MLB cant have that

438645[/snapback]

438653[/snapback]

and id4 isn't for another 3 hours..

Bud Selig and the rest of the scumbag executives at Major League Baseball will not allow Keith Foulke to wear a small American flag patch on the side of his hat, absolutely ridiculous. This is just as bad as that community in Miami where the community association wouldn't allow that guy to fly an American flag in his front yard and kept finding him everyday and Jeb Bush had to step in.

:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown

NEW YORK -- The flag flap is over for Keith Foulke.

Advertisement

After a personal letter from commissioner Bud Selig, plus talks between the players' union and baseball management as the Fourth of July approached, Foulke reluctantly packed away his Boston cap that featured a patch of the American flag.

"I still think I should be able to wear it," the Boston Red Sox reliever said this week at Yankee Stadium. "But I don't want to do anything that would cost the team."

Foulke was the only player in the majors with his own such hat. The son of a U.S. Air Force man, he wore it most of the season to show his support for the American troops in Iraq.

"It's not like I was trying to call attention to myself," he said. "I'm a patriotic person, and it's just a personal thing I wanted to do. It was only about an inch square, on the left side, and a lot of people didn't even notice it."

But the commissioner's office saw it. Soon after, Foulke said, he began getting letters from Bob Watson, vice president of on-field operations, saying the cap violated baseball's standard uniform code.

According to the sport's labor agreement, players cannot make individual changes to hats, jerseys and anything else they wear. The issue came up during the 2002 National League playoffs when San Francisco pitcher Jason Christiansen was told he could not continue writing Darryl Kile's number 57 on his cap in tribute to his late former teammate.

And in this case, the rule made Foulke's cap illegal.

"It's the definition of a uniform that we're going after," said Watson's assistant, Matt McKendry.

About two weeks after Foulke found out baseball planned to put Spider-Man 2 ads on the bases -- "that really chapped me," he said -- he sent a letter to Selig explaining his position. The commissioner wrote back in a note dated June 3.

"I agree with and admire the patriotic sentiments expressed in your letter," Selig wrote. "While I cannot imagine anyone having an objection to our American flag on a player's hat, we feel it is crucial that we maintain this across-the-board policy.

"Unfortunately, if we allow one player to add the flag, our ability" to enforce the rule will be diminished, he added.

While baseball told Foulke that he could be fined or suspended, it did not threaten him with an immediate penalty or ever impose one. Yet it wanted a resolution before too long, so the union and management tried to find one.

Ultimately, this was the best option baseball presented to Foulke:

* Pay a $1,000 fine for every game he wore the hat, donating the money to a charity of his choosing, most likely one related to the military.

* Stop wearing the hat after July 4.

* Agree not to criticize baseball's position on the issue.

"That didn't sound very good to me," Foulke said. "It was only going to be for another eight or nine games, and then I couldn't even talk about it."

Still, Foulke understood Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein's thoughts on the matter.

"Theo didn't want the league to have bitter feelings toward the team because of me," he said.

On June 24 in a game against Minnesota at Fenway Park, Foulke wore his special hat one last time. He doesn't plan to put it on again, not wanting to risk raising any problems for the Red Sox.

This Sunday, though, Foulke will have an American flag on his cap -- so will all major leaguers as part of baseball's Fourth of July celebration.

"I think it's great that we do it on opening day and July Fourth and 9-11," Foulke said. "But soldiers are fighting and dying every day, and I think I should be allowed to honor them by wearing that hat."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7470858

Guest Juanky

Normally, I'd agree with the expression. However.....

Then Albert, Manny, Vlad, and Sammy among many others bust out the Dominican flag. Palmeiro dresses himself in a Cuban flag for the Derby, Mikey finds his Cuban flag for the game itself, Pudge and co don Puerto Rican flags, Miguelito stiches in the Venezuelan flag, and Barry Bonds finds the whole thing racist. Everyone would want to represent their country, which isn't so bad an idea, however the World Cup is to represent your country and the ASG is AL vs NL. As long as the ASG stays at it's current format and avoids the US vs World idea it is in the best interest of the Major Leagues to keep the flags out.

Oh, and this game being played in America has absolutely nothing to do with anything. If you want to say this is America they should wear American flags, you might as well kick out the non-American players, and you would only have enough superstars to fill one all star team because the rest would be going home to El Caribe.

Many players wear huge bling crosses around their necks during games, but they can't have a small American flag patch on their hat? Talk about a double standard. It should be a standard issue for all American MLB teams to have American flag patches on their hats or on their jerseys.

Guest Juanky

Many players wear huge bling crosses around their necks during games, but they can't have a small American flag patch on their hat? Talk about a double standard. It should be a standard issue for all American MLB teams to have American flag patches on their hats or on their jerseys.

445291[/snapback]

You obviously didn't read a word I wrote.

What about to the Dominican player who wants to wear a Domincan flag?