Notes: Expect Fogg for Tuesday

07/04/2004 2:17 PM ET

Notes: Expect Fogg for Tuesday

Bucs turn to right-hander to pitch on short rest

By Ed Eagle / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH --Although the Pirates have been reluctant to publicly announce their starting pitcher for Tuesday's contest against the Florida Marlins in Miami, right-hander Josh Fogg has confirmed that he will be making the start on three days' rest.

Fogg, who threw 91 pitches in 6 1/3 innings Friday during the Bucs' 13-2 win over the Brewers, has not pitched on such short rest during his big-league career. However, he does not believe fatigue will be a factor on Tuesday.

"I don't throw the ball hard enough to get any wear and tear," Fogg joked. "When you are throwing the ball 85 miles an hour, you are not really straining yourself too much.

"I feel good. I've felt good the last month and a half. I'm looking forward to getting out there as often as I can."

Fogg threw a bullpen session on Sunday morning in preparation for the start. He said the only change in his normal routine is that he will "tone his workouts down a little bit."

Fogg's outing on Tuesday, barring a rainout on Sunday which would push each starter back one day, will mark the first time manager Lloyd McClendon has ever used one of his starters on three days' rest.