Make the trade now...

There are a couple of things to know about the season thus far:

1) this team has underachieved

2) the foundation for a winning ballclub is there

3) suffering from some bad luck - via injury

4) but also very lucky - .500, only 3.5 games back - thanks to being in the NL East where NO team is complete

That all said, if we want to contend this season, I think it is becoming obvious that the time to deal is now rather than later. But what is complicating that is what kind of team this current team is going to be - the one that started the season on fire? Or the one that has been plagued by inconsistency and has struggled over the last month?

The reason we started off so well is because we got excellent pitching from EVERYONE on this roster. Our starters were healthy, except for Burnett, and all pitched very well. The offense wasnt pressed to score 5+ runs a night. We were playing winning baseball.

The only way to get back to that is to patch some things up. We need to weather the current storm and get healthy. Conine, Penny, Beckett all have to return. Less likely is Fox, Cordero and Phelps. Castro was a huge blow to this team.

With the foundation in place, I think it is time to make a trade, now. We need to do something to communicate to the team, and its fans, that this year's team is in it and will be. I say, if possible, trade for Kendall.

It wouldnt answer all of our problems, but he would be a huge lift to this team. First, he makes contact. He has more walks that K's, and strikesout very seldom. Also, he runs very well. Something this team does not do right now is run the bases well. In fact, it is the little things that are killing us and Kendall would give us more speed at a position we could use it - C.

Remember, we were going to sign Fudge at $8M a year for 2 years with a 3rd option. I am not sure what Kendall's contract status is, but he is younger than Fudge and probably could come out to a similar deal if the Pirates pick up some of his contract. And also, the Pirates want to shed that contract badly which means, the more we pick up, the less we have to give up in talent.

Whatever happens, if the Marlins want to be there in the end, they need to do something to re-energize this team. I think the foundation is there and this team could contend as is, but it would be better for the team to jump out, make a trade, and assure itself it will be there. Because we are faced with losing Benitez and Pavano if we dont contend. The future looks a lot brighter if we make things happen now.

Appreciated your appraisal. And I agree. We need a shot in the arm now, both for real (as in reality) reasons, and for psychological (as in perceived) reasons.

If I had to choose between our 3 (IMO) desperate needs... A Pitcher, A Catcher, A Starting Out-Fielder... guess I would have to go with a Catcher.

Glad Willingham has gotten some starts. Wish we could have seen him behind the plate.

Willingham/Dillon/Conine can cover left. Wish we had a position Cabrera could cover effectively. Maybe the outfield gets resolved when Preston Wilson begs to come back.

The Pitching staff has to resurrect itself. And they will, in time, and I think timely. My heart bleeds for A.J. And Koch could be the sleeper in all this. Potentially, the Second Coming of Fox. But, I really hold suspect the kind of coaching help our pitchers are getting!

I love Red and I root like hell for Treanor. I like good guys who have paid their dues. But, I think Catcher is the wound we cannot heal from within.

GO MARLINS.

I like Treanor and Red and think they would be a solid catching tandem on a team that doesnt have a need for more offense. I think we could win and contend with what we have, including those two at catcher, but I think getting a guy like Kendall - although we dont gain much in power - would help out a lot. The question is, what do you do with Treanor or Red? I would like to see Treanor get some PT - so why not include him in the deal?

I think you are right that the pitching needs to resurrect itself. Our starters, save Pavano, have been very inconsistent. Beckett is gone - for how long is anyone's guess. In his place, we need to find a filler. I think Bump would be a very good replacement. And he would jump at the chance. But Penny, Willis, and Burnett all have to step up. Burnett seems to be doing just that and also seems to be turning the corner.

Penny will be fine - he just has to get healthy and stop loving his damn fastball.

Willis needs to calm down, not worry so much about his mechanics. That, I fault Rosie for. They should know better than to over coach a young pitcher like Willis. He relies on his deceptive delivery. But truthfully, Treanor got it right saying it was Willis' rythmn that suffers. I also think Willis needs to do some yoga, like Pavs, something to get himself more centered and help with his balance. That is what throws off his location and forces him to struggle.

But, in order to help the starters get more confident, why not improve the offense? Kendall would help right away. I also think Bautista would be a solid guy to bring in here and could be had cheap. He makes me think of Reggie Sanders - but with a little less power. He also would be a very reliable defensive option and could allow for some flexibility in the OF.

You know, the '97 team was "struggling" and Dombrowski went out and got Daulton...

Last year, we had a wretched stretch in August, Lowell got hurt, we got Conine...

Those veterans sure didn't win the games by themselves (well, Conine did against the Phillies last year lol) it was the shot in the arm they gave...we need that now. Loria sure isn't helping morale by saying that he won't add much to payroll...

You know, the '97 team was "struggling" and Dombrowski went out and got Daulton...

Last year, we had a wretched stretch in August, Lowell got hurt, we got Conine...

Those veterans sure didn't win the games by themselves (well, Conine did against the Phillies last year lol) it was the shot in the arm they gave...we need that now. Loria sure isn't helping morale by saying that he won't add much to payroll...

450419[/snapback]

I agree. We dont have to go out and blow the doors off in order to get this team moving. It could and should be something minor. Bautista could be that. Kendall would be nice, but as far as contracts go - that is a big deal.

Underachieving? We have one or two starters over .500. A few AAA players in the lineup in Treanor and Willingham, and a reeel bad bullpen, not to mention we have two guys who can drive in runs and the reason why we scored most of our runs last year Juanpy and Luis arent doin it like last year, so i think were right where we should be, unless we make a trade or conine and choi start hitting like they can, we're screwed!

Good post, Jonny.

Kendall will cost too much. That would be my plan B. My plan A is to see if the Rangers are interested in Penny for Texira (sp?). If they are, we immediately try to resign Pavano. If we can come to a deal with the "Pudge money" and the fact we'd be rid of a couple million from Penny, make the deal for Texira and put him in the OF.

How would this line-up be:

Pierre

Castillo

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Choi

Gonzo

Whichever catcher starts

We'd be able to let Conine heal and use him in the OF and first. We'd have the luxury in any potentail games against AL teams to allow Conine or Easley to DH. I'd love that line-up. :thumbup

Here is plan C (I'm really bored). Trade Texira for Penny. Then make a deal with Pitt to get Kendall and a RP. We'd have to give up Stocks and a couple other prospects, but it would be worth it, IMO.

Pierre

Kendall

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Castillo

Choi

Gonzo

Now THAT would be a championship caliber line-up. :D

I can dream, anyway. :lol

I've previously been hesitant about making a move, but if the Marlins want to jump start this team they're going to have to do some thing. I also would like to see them make an attempt to sign Pavano now, that would send a message also that this team is looking to contend for years, not just this year.

Good post, Jonny.

Kendall will cost too much. That would be my plan B. My plan A is to see if the Rangers are interested in Penny for Texira (sp?). If they are, we immediately try to resign Pavano. If we can come to a deal with the "Pudge money" and the fact we'd be rid of a couple million from Penny, make the deal for Texira and put him in the OF.

Pierre

Castillo

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Choi

Gonzo

Whichever catcher starts

We'd be able to let Conine heal and use him in the OF and first. We'd have the luxury in any potentail games against AL teams to allow Conine or Easley to DH. I'd love that line-up. :thumbup

Here is plan C (I'm really bored). Trade Texira for Penny. Then make a deal with Pitt to get Kendall and a RP. We'd have to give up Stocks and a couple other prospects, but it would be worth it, IMO.

Pierre

Kendall

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Castillo

Choi

Gonzo

Now THAT would be a championship caliber line-up. :D

I can dream, anyway. :lol

450787[/snapback]

I'd keep Pierre and castillo together and put kendell in the 3(good contact hitter)

Pierre

Castillo

Kendell

Lowell

Cabrera

Texiera

Choi

Gonzalez

Good post, Jonny.

Kendall will cost too much.? That would be my plan B.? My plan A is to see if the Rangers are interested in Penny for Texira (sp?).? If they are, we immediately try to resign Pavano.? If we can come to a deal with the "Pudge money" and the fact we'd be rid of a couple million from Penny, make the deal for Texira and put him in the OF.?

Pierre

Castillo

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Choi

Gonzo

Whichever catcher starts

We'd be able to let Conine heal and use him in the OF and first.? We'd have the luxury in any potentail games against AL teams to allow Conine or Easley to DH.? I'd love that line-up.? :thumbup

Here is plan C (I'm really bored).? Trade Texira for Penny.? Then make a deal with Pitt to get Kendall and a RP.? We'd have to give up Stocks and a couple other prospects, but it would be worth it, IMO.

Pierre

Kendall

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Castillo

Choi

Gonzo

Now THAT would be a championship caliber line-up.? :D

I can dream, anyway.? :lol

450787[/snapback]

I'd keep Pierre and castillo together and put kendell in the 3(good contact hitter)

Pierre

Castillo

Kendell

Lowell

Cabrera

Texiera

Choi

Gonzalez

450840[/snapback]

^^ That would be my lineup.

With the foundation in place, I think it is time to make a trade, now.? We need to do something to communicate to the team, and its fans, that this year's team is in it and will be.? I say, if possible, trade for Kendall.?

It wouldnt answer all of our problems, but he would be a huge lift to this team.? First, he makes contact.? He has more walks that K's, and strikesout very seldom.? Also, he runs very well.? Something this team does not do right now is run the bases well.? In fact, it is the little things that are killing us and Kendall would give us more speed at a position we could use it - C.?

450270[/snapback]

jonny, whatever happened to your unwavering belief that this current team is good enough and doesn't need a bat?

our offense is ranked 26th in all of baseball--ahead of only the bottom-dwelling brewers, royals, mariners, and expos.

when youve got company such as that, you're not simply "underperforming"--you're not good enough.

damn right we need a bat.

the marlins seriously need a starting catcher that has an arm and can hit. they are stealing on us like crazy. yet pierre or castillo cant even get a steal lately. I do not see the marlins trading Penny. He is a marlin and I believe he will be a marlin for years to come. getting preston wilson back would be great. but where put Pierre? if Wilson comes back i think he should be put in left field. if not, have him in center and pierre in left. who knows.

the marlins seriously need a starting catcher that has an arm and can hit. they are stealing on us like crazy. yet pierre or castillo cant even get a steal lately. I do not see the marlins trading Penny. He is a marlin and I believe he will be a marlin for years to come. getting preston wilson back would be great. but where put Pierre? if Wilson comes back i think he should be put in left field. if not, have him in center and pierre in left. who knows.

451125[/snapback]

Pitchers arn't really helping with the steals lately. I don't think they realize Pudge is gone.

Good post, Jonny.

Kendall will cost too much.? That would be my plan B.? My plan A is to see if the Rangers are interested in Penny for Texira (sp?).? If they are, we immediately try to resign Pavano.? If we can come to a deal with the "Pudge money" and the fact we'd be rid of a couple million from Penny, make the deal for Texira and put him in the OF.?

Pierre

Castillo

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Choi

Gonzo

Whichever catcher starts

We'd be able to let Conine heal and use him in the OF and first.? We'd have the luxury in any potentail games against AL teams to allow Conine or Easley to DH.? I'd love that line-up.? :thumbup

Here is plan C (I'm really bored).? Trade Texira for Penny.? Then make a deal with Pitt to get Kendall and a RP.? We'd have to give up Stocks and a couple other prospects, but it would be worth it, IMO.

Pierre

Kendall

Lowell

Texira (sp?)

Cabrera

Castillo

Choi

Gonzo

Now THAT would be a championship caliber line-up.? :D

I can dream, anyway.? :lol

450787[/snapback]

Pierre

Castillo

Kendell

Lowell

Cabrera

Texiera

Choi

Gonzalez

450840[/snapback]

I thought about that one as well. I'd rather break up the base stealers (even though they aren't stealing too much right now). It will spread out the pressure put on the pitchers, IMO.