Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How to fix us now and for the future...

Featured Replies

My dream trades...

 

These are trades that could be possible, but might be hard to make happen. I'm not talking about getting ARod or Vlad type of dream.

 

Lets begin...

 

STEP 1:

 

Offer Pavano 5 years for $40 million. Make it in proportion with Hampton's salary coming off the books and when we expect to have a new stadium.

 

NOTE: I think the stadium is all but a done deal, and they should be able to figure this out.

 

I think STEP 1 can be done if we believe Pavano is for real.

 

STEP 2:

 

See if Texas will trade Texira (sp?) for Penny/Nunez.

 

STEP 3:

 

Acquire Jason Kendall. His salary breaks down as:

 

?2004: $8.0M

?2005: $10.0M

?2006: $11.0M

?2007: $13.0M

 

1. Pay the rest of his contract this year.

 

2. Have us pay 6 mil and the Pirates pay 4 mil in 05.

 

3. We pay 7 mil and the Pirates pay 4 mil in 06.

 

4. We pay 7 mil and the Pirates pay 6 mil in 07.

 

 

Hampton's money should help eat his salary and possibly allow us to retain Pavano.

 

We give the Pirates Stokes, Hutchenson (sp?) and some other prospects. Perhaps they will be blinded by Castro's natural abilities and throw him in as well.

 

 

LINE-UP

 

1. Pierre

2. Kendall

3. Lowell

4. Texira

5. Cabrera

6. Castillo

7. Choi

8. Gonzo

 

I can dream, anyway. :thumbup

 

We should at least be able to resign Pavano (assuming he is honest about wanting to be in Miami and not go for the highest offer) and get Kendall.

 

 

Thoughts? The "experts" on our minor league system and budget may now chime in and rip apart my plan. :D

Penny for Tex

 

I would do that in a freakin second, but the Rangers probably wouldnt

  • Author

Penny for Tex

 

I would do that in a freakin second, but the Rangers probably wouldnt

462762[/snapback]

 

You're quick. You always reply to my drunk dream plans before I even have time to read it for errors. :lol :thumbup

Penny for Texiera would only be a beginning for me...I want more if we are going to deal Penny.

 

Besides, why not inquire about Nix? He is probably cheaper...

  • Author

Penny for Texiera would only be a beginning for me...I want more if we are going to deal Penny.

 

Besides, why not inquire about Nix? He is probably cheaper...

462766[/snapback]

 

Are you serious? What more do you want besides a young stud that costs 2-3 million (too lazy too look it up) for the next couple of years and can play 1B, 3B, and OF?

 

If I'm trading Penny, I want a lot more than freakin' Nix. We might as well keep Penny and play Nunez instead. It isn't like Nix is that good anyway, IMO.

 

Perhaps I'm biased from watching Texira at Tech against FSU and watching him bash homers non-stop the past two years, but I think Texira is as good a young stud OF that you'll find in all of baseball. He's definitely more valuable to the Marlins than Penny, IMO. We have a lot of good starting pitching. We only have 2 legitimate power bats in our lineup, sigh.

August 1, 2004

 

Lineup:

 

1- Juan Pierre -CF

2- Luis Castillo -2B

3- Jason Kendall -C

4- Mike Lowell -3B

5- Mark Texeria -RF

6- Miguel Cabrera -LF

7- Alex Gonzalez -SS

8- He Soup Choi -1B

9- Pitcher

 

Rotation:

 

Carl Pavano

Josh Beckett

AJ Burnett

Dontrelle Willis

?

Penny for Texiera would only be a beginning for me...I want more if we are going to deal Penny.

 

 

462766[/snapback]

 

sorry but that comment couldnt be any more assanine

Teixeira is a 24 year old on pace to hit about 40 HR...and he missed 2-3 weeks with an injury earlier this year. He's one of the few in Cabrera's territory. I love Brad but he wont get us Teixeira.

 

him and Blalock will be one of the best 1-2 punches we've seen in a while.

  • Author

Teixeira is a 24 year old on pace to hit about 40 HR...and he missed 2-3 weeks with an injury earlier this year. He's one of the few in Cabrera's territory. I love Brad but he wont get us Teixeira.

 

him and Blalock will be one of the best 1-2 punches we've seen in a while.

462807[/snapback]

 

You never know. Penny is young (what, 27?) and has ace stuff. He's already proven himself in the post season. Not to mention he is a Texas kid. Texas has a ton of hitting and very little pitching. They'd move Fulmer to take over first from Teixeira.

 

Just remember, Teixeira was supposed to be their future star at 3B until Blalock emerged. He was moved to the OF and now Nix has come through. He is their best asset to trade for pitching right now. :shifty

 

The thought of having him batting with Cabrera and Lowell makes me forget about how terrible our lineup is with only two all star caliber bats in our lineup.

Penny for Texiera would only be a beginning for me...I want more if we are going to deal Penny.

 

 

462766[/snapback]

 

sorry but that comment couldnt be any more assanine

462780[/snapback]

 

No, I am sure you could come up with a more assanine one.

 

But go ahead and explain to me how trading away a young starter with the goods to be a #2 or #1 - especially in that Texas rotation - is a good trade for a bat.

 

Oh, and dont forget that we already have injuries to Beckett, Fox, Spooneybarger so our pitching at the big league level is thinning. Not to mention that Willis and Burnett have yet to be consistent.

 

You dont trade away pitching because you have it. And you certainly dont fill one hole (hitting) - that is mostly perceived than real - to create another hole (pitching).

 

The fact is you could get a lot of talent in return for pitching. Pitching is worth more than hitting because a good starter is going to have more influence on a game than a good hitter. That is fact. Just look at the A's for example - the golden franchise. They win by setting their foundation up with pitching - not hitting. And they just dont flip their starters out there for a bat.

 

The Marlins rely on good pitching to win games. Another bat would be nice, but not at the cost of our foundation. That would be 'assanine'.

Teixeira is a 24 year old on pace to hit about 40 HR...and he missed 2-3 weeks with an injury earlier this year. He's one of the few in Cabrera's territory. I love Brad but he wont get us Teixeira.

 

him and Blalock will be one of the best 1-2 punches we've seen in a while.

462807[/snapback]

 

Which is precisely why you trade for Nix. Young, cheap, hard-nosed player that can hit and field. Texas needs pitching, and we could get away with trading a prospect or two for him.

Penny for Tex

 

I would do that in a freakin second, but the Rangers probably wouldnt

462762[/snapback]

I don't know ramp I read a couple of articles that the Rangers were ready to trade Texeira for Russ Ortiz but the braves backed out.

Penny for Tex

 

I would do that in a freakin second, but the Rangers probably wouldnt

462762[/snapback]

I don't know ramp I read a couple of articles that the Rangers were ready to trade Texeira for Russ Ortiz but the braves backed out.

462931[/snapback]

 

well its time to make a call then

Penny for Texiera would only be a beginning for me...I want more if we are going to deal Penny.

 

 

462766[/snapback]

 

sorry but that comment couldnt be any more assanine

462780[/snapback]

 

No, I am sure you could come up with a more assanine one.

 

But go ahead and explain to me how trading away a young starter with the goods to be a #2 or #1 - especially in that Texas rotation - is a good trade for a bat.

 

Oh, and dont forget that we already have injuries to Beckett, Fox, Spooneybarger so our pitching at the big league level is thinning. Not to mention that Willis and Burnett have yet to be consistent.

 

You dont trade away pitching because you have it. And you certainly dont fill one hole (hitting) - that is mostly perceived than real - to create another hole (pitching).

 

The fact is you could get a lot of talent in return for pitching. Pitching is worth more than hitting because a good starter is going to have more influence on a game than a good hitter. That is fact. Just look at the A's for example - the golden franchise. They win by setting their foundation up with pitching - not hitting. And they just dont flip their starters out there for a bat.

 

The Marlins rely on good pitching to win games. Another bat would be nice, but not at the cost of our foundation. That would be 'assanine'.

462841[/snapback]

 

What has Penny done in his career(besides a good playoff run) to warrant him being compared to one of the 3 Oakland Aces? Those guys have been aces for the past 3 or 4 years, Penny has yet to establish himself yet. If you get the chance to trade a Brad Penny for a Mark Texeira I see no reason why you dont do it. Well I see one reason(Boras is his agent) but lets just talk about the man for man deal.

What has Beckett done in his career (despite a great playoff run) to be compared to Rick Ankeil?

 

Don't answer that.

  • Author

Penny for Texiera would only be a beginning for me...I want more if we are going to deal Penny.

 

 

462766[/snapback]

 

sorry but that comment couldnt be any more assanine

462780[/snapback]

 

No, I am sure you could come up with a more assanine one.

 

But go ahead and explain to me how trading away a young starter with the goods to be a #2 or #1 - especially in that Texas rotation - is a good trade for a bat.

 

Oh, and dont forget that we already have injuries to Beckett, Fox, Spooneybarger so our pitching at the big league level is thinning. Not to mention that Willis and Burnett have yet to be consistent.

 

You dont trade away pitching because you have it. And you certainly dont fill one hole (hitting) - that is mostly perceived than real - to create another hole (pitching).

 

The fact is you could get a lot of talent in return for pitching. Pitching is worth more than hitting because a good starter is going to have more influence on a game than a good hitter. That is fact. Just look at the A's for example - the golden franchise. They win by setting their foundation up with pitching - not hitting. And they just dont flip their starters out there for a bat.

 

The Marlins rely on good pitching to win games. Another bat would be nice, but not at the cost of our foundation. That would be 'assanine'.

462841[/snapback]

 

 

Penny will be making 7 or 8 mil from arbitration next year. I'd much rather have Teixera at 2 or 3 mil for the next two years. We have several pitching prospects that eventually could fill Penny's place. We also may be able to find another underachiever (like we did with Pavano and Redman) and turn him around and fill in for Penny.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.