We are trading for 3 players who are 30+ y/o !!

dolfinfan305

I like the trade when i look at it quick but then i look at the players ages, i cringe. Lo Duca is 32, Walker is 37 and Mota is 31. We need guys that are young and productive so that they can be here producing for years to come and have better trade value if we ever need to trade them again.

Fran, just because they were on our team and we liked them does not make then great. Mota is one of baseball's top setup men. Yes, put him up with Gordon, FRod, Dotel last season, etc.

I love Hee Seop....but a .270 24 64 year is not GREAT for a first baseman.

Lo Duca right now is the 2nd best hitting catcher in the NL behind Kendall.

At 1B right now in the NL who is better than Choi? Pujols, Helton, Thome, Lee, Overbay, Casey, Piazza, Hillenbrand. Shawn Green, Nevin and Bagwell. And 6-7 of these guys listed I'd take for Choi any day in a trade.

Seems like all we did was cut payroll. Makes you wonder what they're doing. Are they taking a risk on Walker's health? Are they clearing payroll for next year? Did Loria make a bad art investment? Is Loria attracting new minority owners on the condition that they get in the black? I don't know, ages and contracts aside it still doesn't make sense.

484908[/snapback]

what do you think of his replacement at first base... .260, 15 hr a year?

and what do you think of an outfielder who hits .235 with a .289 obp and .411 slg? unheard of, no?

But a .390 OBP and 15-25 HRs for a 25yo is.

484908[/snapback]

And after his annual second-year decline he'll drop to 5th or 6th.

Fran, just because they were on our team and we liked them does not make then great. Mota is one of baseball's top setup men. Yes, put him up with Gordon, FRod, Dotel last season, etc.

At 1B right now in the NL who is better than Choi? Pujols, Helton, Thome, Lee, Overbay, Casey, Piazza, Hillenbrand. Shawn Green, Nevin and Bagwell. And 6-7 of these guys listed I'd take for Choi any day in a trade.

484908[/snapback]

I'd take Choi over most of those guys for the simple fact that he's cheap and young. Lo Duca is an offensive downgrade to Choi, and Enc is a huge offensive downgrade to Choi. There is no doubt that Brad Penny is the best player in that trade. While I do like that we got Mota, no reliever has more value than a productive starting pitcher or starting position player.

Cut payroll?

Lo Duca $4,066,667

Encarnacion $3,565,000

Mota $1,475,000

Penny $3,725,000

Choi $310,000

I was never good at Math but I believe Loria just added $5MM in payroll (based on an entire season)

484925[/snapback]

Thanks, that's another big reason this deal is stupid. No chance Lo Duca is with us next year. We have to hope that we are not stuck with Encarnacion next year. I could see us signing Mota, but it may cost us Pavano.

Guest Juanky

We can't trade Stokes

We'd have no one at first left

Oh, and we now have 2.5 consistent starters. Lovely. And I honestly think, while maybe not done so this way, is a deal done to add a new paint job to a car without a steering wheel. Appears to fix problems but will fix nothing.

Beinfest made this move because he wants to win. Mota is one of the best relievers out there, doesnt matter how old he is. Loduca is a great catcher and will help us out. Hee Seop Choi never got much of a chance to start everday. Penny was inconsistant (even though i love penny) but its the truth.

in beinfest i trust

485175[/snapback]

Its like Britney Spears in Fahrenheit 911. Please if you're going to support or trash the trade have a better reason than this. Its a cop out answer.

I think Beinfest is a good GM, but thats not how I decide what I think about what he does. Even talented people make mistakes, just like complete slobs get some stuff right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.