Official article JUST posted on FloridaMarlins.com

Accord

This is the official article of the trade just posted on floridamarlins.com containing insider information about Penny and Choi talking to teammates and whatnot:

MIAMI -- The Marlins have acquired Paul Lo Duca, Juan Encarnacion, Guillermo Mota and cash from the Dodgers for Brad Penny, Hee Seop Choi and a minor league pitcher.

The Marlins officially announced the deal late Friday afternoon. and general manager Admin Beinfest will discuss the deal at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday.

The Marlins are hopeful Lo Duca, Encarnacion and Mota will be in uniform Saturday night against the Expos.

"Penny is a good friend of mine, five years running," Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett said. "I'm going to miss him. It's not going to be the same without him. He's going to move on and pitch for a good team. We're going to get some players to help our team."

Choi was initially in the lineup Friday but was scratched about 20 minutes before the 7:35 p.m. game against the Expos. Also before the game, Penny shook hands with the Marlins players. Both players left the dugout and their lockers were cleaned out before the game ended.

With the trade deadline set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, the Marlins are exploring other deals. They would like to add a starting pitcher, if possible.

"It was real awkward," Burnett said of how the players were in the dugout before the game and then left. "I'm sure they are going to miss the team. This is a good team to play for, and a good bunch of guys. I'd miss it if I got traded."

Burnett joked with Penny about when they might possibly face each other.

"Hopefully, he'll throw me heaters," Burnett said. "I'll throw him heaters and we'll see who hits it the farthest."

The Marlins upgrade offensively with Lo Duca taking over at catcher and Encarnacion returning to right field, where he was a standout on the Marlins 2003 World Series championship team.

In Lo Duca, the Marlins are gaining an All-Star catcher who fills the void the team has felt since Ivan Rodriguez signed as a free agent with the Tigers.

Lo Duca, who is batting .301 with 10 home runs and 49 RBIs, would provide a veteran bat in the middle of the lineup. The Marlins opened the season with Ramon Castro behind the plate, but Castro has been on the disabled list since June 2, and he was disappointing with a .135 batting average when healthy.

Mike Redmond, a career backup, has been handling most of the starting duties.

On Lo Duca, Burnett said, "Solid catcher."

"He's the second player I've talked to and they end up over here. [A few years ago] I talked to Juan Pierre in Colorado, and he ended up over here," Burnett said. "I saw Lo Duca in the beginning of the year, and I said, 'We can have a lot of fun. We can ball together. And now, look what happens.' I'm sure he will be here tomorrow. I looking forward to toeing it up with him."

Florida has had interest in Lo Duca since last December.

Encarnacion rejoins the Marlins, where he was initially obtained in July 2002 from the Reds. With Encarnacion's return, Miguel Cabrera could move either to left field or replace Choi at first base. Jeff Conine, the regular left fielder, is another first base option.

While Encarnacion is coming back, sources said Friday night that the Marlins were trying to package the right fielder along with Double-A first baseman Jason Stokes to Colorado for Admin Walker. But that deal couldn't be worked out.

Mota addresses a needed setup reliever for closer Armando Benitez, who right now is out a few days with inflammation to his right elbow.

But the acquisitions come at the expense of losing one of the most promising young right-handed pitchers in the league. Penny is 8-8 with a 3.15 ERA, and he is the Marlins' all-time leader in victories with 48 wins. Penny won two World Series games for the Marlins last October.

Marlins right-hander Josh Beckett, the World Series MVP, moved into Penny's locker Friday.

"It's part of the game," Beckett said of trades. "I actually had a friend tell me when I came into pro ball, 'Don't go in there to make any friends. You don't know where you're going to be or where they are going to be the next year. That's why this business is so tough on making friends and stuff.

"Hopefully the pieces fall together. I'm going to talk to Penny. It's not like we're not going to talk. We're going to miss them. We're going to miss those guys."

Choi, a promising left-handed hitting first baseman, hit .270 with 15 home runs and 40 RBIs. The Marlins acquired Choi in the offseason from the Cubs for Gold Glove first baseman Derrek Lee.

The minor league pitcher going to Los Angeles is left-hander Bill Murphy, who is at Double-A Carolina. Murphy represented the Marlins at the New York Mercantile Exchange All-Star Futures Game during the All-Star break in Houston.

www.floridamarlins.com

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.