Will florida get hit by "the big one" this year?

TealMonster

Paul Duval of the National Weather Service said meteorologists are expecting eight to nine hurricanes during the June-through-November season. Three to four of these could be major storms -- meaning a category three or above.

Floyd '99

i think at least 1 major one will hit FLA this year.

Guest Moneyball

we haven't been hit by the BIG ONE since 1992 we are due for something big. hopefully it goes through the cape coral area.

j/k cape :D

I hate hurricanes, we had class in the one that came in NC/VA last year broke my umbrella and got soaked...oh I was bitter

489609[/snapback]

Isabel?

Williamsburg was anarchy for like a week after that storm.

489610[/snapback]

Ya thats the one, I remember bunch of my friends who go to CNU, W &M, and ODU all got off for a while for that storm. I got a broken umbrella for it :thumbdown

we haven't been hit by the BIG ONE since 1992 we are due for something big. hopefully it goes through the cape coral area.

j/k cape :D

489612[/snapback]

Last one here was Donna in 1960...I lived in South Miami during Andrew...no thank you!

489631[/snapback]

Last one around Cape Coral area?

DId Cape Coral even exist in 1960's?

Eh, bring it on. I'll see how well all the upgrades I made after Andrew work out.

We will also find out if the construction companies really did improve building standards (something I have way too many doubts about.)

Besides, I need to trim some more of the trees around the yard anyway.

Guest Moneyball

i just slapped some wood glue on a truss that holds up my house. and if it doesn't hold up during the big one i can just sue the elmer's glue company saying their product was weak and destroyed my house.

I wanna enjoy my last few weeks of summer and get my tan on, not sit inside all day and watch it pour.

489690[/snapback]

Don't worry. After the roof is gone, there will be plenty of sun in the days following the storm to help work on the tan.

I pity the people with that particle board crap that's just stapled down. Their shits gonna fly off like dandruff.

I scored an almost whole roll of tar paper from a dumpster and have it in a corner of the garage for any necessary temp repairs for shingles that fly away.

Dumpsters are GREAT places to score some spare construction materiels.

FREE is ALWAYS the "right price" :lol

489697[/snapback]

Particle board

Free (useful) stuff

I don't think I have much in the way of plywood around the place. Roof is all 1x6 tongue n groove (nailed and screwed down.) Block storage shed contains about 10 rolls of paper, 50 lbs of tin tabs, and a case of roofing nails for emergency after storm repairs.

Crank up the generator, its storm season.

Is your place 1960's (or earlier) vintage?

489736[/snapback]

1960 on the nose. Construction methods are so much different these days. There are some things that are better, but the pride in total workmanship was so much better back then. These days their pride seems to come from just how fast they can build them (and how many they can fit into the smallest possible space.)

I wanna enjoy my last few weeks of summer and get my tan on, not sit inside all day and watch it pour.

489690[/snapback]

Don't worry. After the roof is gone, there will be plenty of sun in the days following the storm to help work on the tan.

489700[/snapback]

:confused

I'm not worried about wind and such...our house is brick. I just dont wanna come back Christmas Break, and find out that Merritt Island has been washed away. Being a barrier island, Merritt Island usually has to worry about hurricanes.

Also, I just saw the thing on History Channel about the hurricane that hite Galveston in 1900. Scary s***.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.