The Trade

lil babii bunny

I have been reading this forum for a long time and it is incredible so many of my fellow Marlin fans can not see the wholesale improvements Mr. Beinfest has accomplished. This team was lacking at multiple positions and he was able to improve them with one amazing move.

Here are a few points I have not seen pointed out lately;

* The true trade offs are from

LoDuca to Redmond

Conine to Choi

Encarnacion to Conine

Paul LoDuca is an All Star catcher with all the intangibles and leadership skills any person who enjoys the game of baseball could want. While Mike Redmond is a great team player and above average catcher he is not nor ever will be Paul LoDuca.

Jeff Conine is a great part of this team and after his injured shoulder improved so did his batting average, we all thought highly of Hee Seop Choi yet he didn?t fit what the team wanted to do. While he was a young powerful fan favorite Mr. Choi could not play vs. left handed pitchers nor was he a consistent hitter, with Choi at the plate it was either a Walk a Home Run or a Strike Out. On a team that was fashioned around its double leadoff hitters this just did not fit the program.

Juan Encarnacion is known as one of the streakiest players in the game but that has nothing to do with his amazing defense the man did not make an error for this team last season, the addition of Juan allows our franchise player Miguel Cabrera to move back to Left Field the position he was solid at during his first few months of big league ball and it allows the less athletic Conine to be a steady first basemen who will be in the lineup every day.

*Brad Penny to Carl Pavano

This will sound odd at first but please hear me out.

I believe Mr. Loria and Mr. Beinfest knew they would be able to keep either Carl Pavano or Brad Penny. With Penny scheduled to go through the arbitration process the front office made the best decision. Carl is a far more consistent starting pitcher while he may not have the eye popping 97mph fast ball he makes up for it with his never ending quality starts.

*Prospects

Bill Murphy.

A great talent but when would he help the Marlins? Maybe next season? Maybe never. The fact he was obtained in a calculated salary dump for Mark Redman is another testament to the knowledge of Mr. Beinfest.

*Guillermo Mota

The biggest problem on the 2004 Florida Marlins has been winning games in the bullpen. Mota is a bonafide setup man and is among the top 3 setup men in the world. Just to note his value the man many of you have craved was offered to L.A. for Mota yet Carlos Beltran was not enough.

Yeah, I agree.

Not to beat the horse to death, but we turned a platoon player (Choi) our fourth starter (Penny) and Nunez into an all-star catcher, the best set up man in baseball, a defensively strong right fielder, a quality righty (Seanez) and a more than effective fifth starter.

Anyway, it'll all depend on the results over the next 10 days as to how effective this trade was, but I just get this feeling that Lo Duca is 100% what we need...the kind of leader who hates losing.

Yeah, I agree.

Not to beat the horse to , but we turned a platoon player (Choi) our fourth starter (Penny) and Nunez into an all-star catcher, the best set up man in baseball, a defensively strong right fielder, a quality righty (Seanez) and a more than effective fifth starter.

Anyway, it'll all depend on the results over the next 10 days as to how effective this trade was, but I just get this feeling that Lo Duca is 100% what we need...the kind of leader who s losing.

490731[/snapback]

Choi ain't exactly your average platoon player and Penny's a helluva 5th starter. You don't even mention Murphy but most people could care less about him anyway.

Yeah, I agree.

Not to beat the horse to death, but we turned a platoon player (Choi) our fourth starter (Penny) and Nunez into an all-star catcher, the best set up man in baseball, a defensively strong right fielder, a quality righty (Seanez) and a more than effective fifth starter.

Anyway, it'll all depend on the results over the next 10 days as to how effective this trade was, but I just get this feeling that Lo Duca is 100% what we need...the kind of leader who hates losing.

490731[/snapback]

i love ur word usage

ur "platoon player" is a 25 year old budding star that has a .380 obp and costs the league minimum

ur fourth starter is an ace on a couple of teams, and an above average # 2 starter

nunez, well, he just sucks

Guest Juanky

Yeah, I agree.

Not to beat the horse to? ? ? , but we turned a platoon player (Choi) our fourth starter (Penny) and Nunez into an all-star catcher, the best set up man in baseball, a defensively strong right fielder, a quality righty (Seanez) and a more than effective fifth starter.

Anyway, it'll all depend on the results over the next 10 days as to how effective this trade was, but I just get this feeling that Lo Duca is 100% what we need...the kind of leader who? ? s losing.

490731[/snapback]

Choi ain't exactly your average platoon player and Penny's a helluva 5th starter. You don't even mention Murphy but most people could care less about him anyway.

490736[/snapback]

Who is this Murphy? We only got Neu for Redman! Billy jipped us!

Yeah, I agree.

490731[/snapback]

i love ur word usage

ur "platoon player" is a 25 year old budding star that has a .380 obp and costs the league minimum

ur fourth starter is an ace on a couple of teams, and an above average # 2 starter

490737[/snapback]

Well, with the way Choi hits against lefties, he couldn't be marked in for more than 145 games or so, and he really is just an average first baseman.

Yeah, I agree.

490731[/snapback]

i love ur word usage

490737[/snapback]

Well, with the way Choi hits against lefties, he couldn't be marked in for more than 145 games or so, and he really is just an average first baseman.

490744[/snapback]

he's an average 1st baseman right now, but not much longer

Yeah, I agree.

490731[/snapback]

i love ur word usage

490737[/snapback]

490744[/snapback]

490750[/snapback]

Agreed, but not only can he turn into a bust, Beinfest and the gang are all about winning now. We have a great skeleton, but now we're just filling in the meat on the bones for the repeat.

How can you call Choi average?

He is the best hitting, pitching, and fielding player of all time. He also caught Saddam in Iraq, brought about the collaspe of the Soviet Union, and was a key strategist in winning World War II. He is the favorite to lead both North and South Korea. Meanwhile, the U.S. is going to change the the law to let people to run for the president who are not native to the country on account of Hee Seop Choi.

How can you call Choi average?

He is the best hitting, pitching, and fielding player of all time. He also caught Saddam in Iraq, brought about the collaspe of the Soviet Union, and was a key strategist in winning World War II. He is the favorite to lead both North and South Korea. Meanwhile, the U.S. is going to change the the law to let people to run for the president who are not native to the country on account of Hee Seop Choi.

490763[/snapback]

Yeah . . . forgot about that :blink:

The farm system is very important CapeFish it produced Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis without them this team would not have won a worlds championship last season.

I did not note this since the majority of baseball fans do not follow a teams system however Admin Beinfest was able to make all of these upgrades without trading his top prospects. Murphy was a solid young player but he probably was not the top left handed pitcher in the organization.

I was impressed that Jason Stokes, Jeremy Hermida, Scott Olsen, Yorman Bazardo and Lincoln Holdzkom all made it past the trading deadline as Marlin property even with all the upgrades.

The farm system is very important CapeFish it produced Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis without them this team would not have won a worlds championship last season.

I did not note this since the majority of baseball fans do not follow a teams system however Admin Beinfest was able to make all of these upgrades without trading his top prospects. Murphy was a solid young player but he probably was not the top left handed pitcher in the organization.

I was impressed that Jason Stokes, Jeremy Hermida, Scott Olsen, Yorman Bazardo and Lincoln Holdzkom all made it past the trading line as Marlin property even with all the upgrades.

490779[/snapback]

Holdzkom can't even be mentioned in the same sentence with the rest of those guys. Hell he hasn't even pitched an inning this year last time I checked.

Guest Juanky

I was impressed that Jason Stokes, Jeremy Hermida, Scott Olsen, Yorman Bazardo and Lincoln Holdzkom all made it past the trading deadline as Marlin property even with all the upgrades.

490779[/snapback]

Where are you and how can I marry you

Yeah, I agree.

490731[/snapback]

i love ur word usage

490737[/snapback]

OK, Choi's an overrated (but loveable) rally killer who walks a lot, doesn't get a lot of clutch hits (Philly was huge, but give me one before that) and really killed just about any momentum we had after Lowell and Cabrera got on. Walks are overrated when runners are on base, you can be on base 90% of the time, but unless you score, it really doesn't matter. Choi had quite the following...but he never played against lefties, has artificially inflated numbers because of a monster April, and most importantly struck out way too much for a team built on contact, especially when your job was to protect Lowell/Cabrera.

Penny was a tantalizingly good pitcher when the year started, but he's maddeningly inconsistent, has lost 4 mph consistently on his fastball (which is big when you're a power pitcher) and was above average, yes, but think about this let's just say we make the playoffs, we only need four starters, three only really matter so I'll take my chances with Beckett, Burnett, Pavano, and Willis throwing to Lo Duca than Beckett Burnett Pavano and Penny throwing to Redmond.

No hate, I wish both of them the best, but we are so much better after the trade it's just sickening that people dislike it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.