AJ Disgusted With Attendance

miami15

That reason above is why people don't come out. You continue to slap down the fans and they will continue to slap you. Whining is all I hear.

573175[/snapback]

Nah, that's not the reason. For the most part, the player's attitudes have been fine. I guess it's the location, the lousy ballpark, the threat of rain, and the cancellation of the Cubs' series :p

They were getting huge crowds while playing bad, hurricanes were coming, and games being moved around. You cannot complain!

573177[/snapback]

Huge crowds? Compared to our dismal attendance seasons of the past, yes, but the occasional 40,000 on a Saturday isn't enough for everybody. :confused

AJ is being a whiny bitch.

573182[/snapback]

I don't blame him. Any team in baseball wishes they had the run and excitement we had last year. Why are we still in the lower 5 in attendance? Maybe we have an awful ballpark, in the middle of nowhere, with the threat of rain, but his complaining is definitley understandable.

Barry Jackson's Column

Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett, on the team's attendance (22,091 average): ``It's a slap in the face. We're defending world champions. It's a joke, absolutely ridiculous. I don't care what the paid count is -- it's fewer than 10,000 [several nights]. We need to come out in shoulder pads and helmets next year.''

573174[/snapback]

Not a fan of Burnett or Beckett too much particularly because of instances like this when they should AJ as is often the case with Beckett should have kept his mouth shut. The attendance has GREATLY IMPROVED. He of all people should understand how gradual the effort to win back the fans has been (and understandably so) after the firesale in 98 and the abandonment on behalf of Henry...

And what exactly did he contribute last season?

That reason above is why people don't come out. You continue to slap down the fans and they will continue to slap you. Whining is all I hear.

573175[/snapback]

Nah, that's not the reason. For the most part, the player's attitudes have been fine. I guess it's the location, the lousy ballpark, the threat of rain, and the cancellation of the Cubs' series :p

573176[/snapback]

Actually, it's just because most South Florida fans suck and the Marlins attendance will continue to suck unless we trade our entire starting lineup for Barry Bonds.

Our attendance is absolutely pathetic and there are no other words to describe it, the defending world champions deserve better than this.

1) The games played in Comiskey counted against our home attendance.

2) 4 hurricanes in a month don't happen every year.

3) The difference between middle of the pack and the Marlins is not more than 5,000 per night.

573186[/snapback]

4 Hurricanes in a month??? Here in Miami, we got nothing more than the occasional wind gust. It's not like every one in town is busy putting up shutters all month.

Why does AJ have to kiss the fans ass? They won a world series for them.. I think that's enough ass kissing right there. I agree with what he says... I'd be disgusted too.

573210[/snapback]

Because those that do show up spend their hard-earned cash to watch you play a child's game.

573211[/snapback]

Well calling us out, who went to the games is awful, he's not saying "and every time I pitched, it was empty and quiet", but he's calling out South Florida as a sports town in general.

Its not AJ's fault, this team would sell out in most MLB cities. Few baseball players understand the socioeconomic factors surrounding towns.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again. To get great (25k+) and sustained attendance numbers, you need to have an economy where business wants to buy season tickets, as 'encouragement' for customers. Few cities have the dedicated base that fans want to go to 81 games a year, let alone can afford them. Adding insult to injury we are one of the (3rd but don't quote me) poorest median income of major league cities.

We don't have the business, we don't have the fan base, and we don't have the money to give this team what it deserves. But we can sustain a longterm Major League presence (unlike Milwaukee, ugh).

Back in 1993 and '94 when Tropicana was vacant I was telling my friends that we should play half our games there. Of course that is now mout but if only someone listened to me two teams (us and Tampa Bay, which wouldn't exist) could be sparred such small income.

Exactly filter, but you don't complain about it as a player. The fans are trying, you see the crowds are enthusiastic and there are more than 20,000 per night there. Him saying what he said has no place. Keep your mouth shut or go somewhere else.

573230[/snapback]

What's wrong with being upset about this problem?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.