How do you got about fixing the Dolphins?

RockyMountainMarlin

What are the chances Jimmy Johnson will return? You need somebody like that to help the team rebuild. The biggest mistake the franchise made was trading away the future to try and replace Ricky and Fiedler.

They need a good talent evaluator at the helm to get the building blocks for the next era and start restructuring contracts this offseason to improve the salary cap in the years to come.

For the first time in a long, long time the Dolphins will have a top draft pick and perhaps even a couple of them if Ricky returns and gets traded. In what could be a weak draft at QB except for Matt Leinart, we can look at perhaps trading down for more draft picks to make up for the ones we gave for Gordon and Feeley.

Is anybody untouchable? I would start by dismantling a stale and aging defense and start stacking up on big uglies on both sides of the ball.

Thoughts?

A weak draft at QB? LOL, Matt Leinart as the only legit QB? HAHA, Leinart is a product of the system. There are plenty of 1st round caliber QBs like: Kyle Orton, Dan Orlovsky, adn Aaron Rodgers.

Honestly, our team needs some jackass like Tom Coughlin or Bill Parcells. We need discipline on this team because we certainly have as much talent as Dallas or New York. Also, I'd suggest trading down from a top 5 pick to someone like San Diego or Dallas who has multiple 1st round picks. With that, I'd say we take an OL and RB, then in like the 3rd round take a project QB that we can groom into a true talent by his 2nd/3rd year.

The system? USC is a running school!

Now Orton is the product of a system, much like Drew Brees was. If Brees was in the Pro Bowl everybody would have Orton as this year's Manning, but Drew Brees isn't all that. And Orton will be put in the same ship.

Everyone speaks highly of Orlovsky but I have never seen him or his team in action and while he may be a great QB he isn't exactly playing against any good defenses it seems like. Even Chad Pennington and Leftwhich at Marshall played a couple of games a season against big time programs. I'm not saying he won't be a good pro QB, but it won't be easy to paint him as a #1 draft pick. If you watch a lot of UConn football, maybe you see there something I'm missing.

I think the ideal situation would be to have two top 15 picks and use one on that mammoth OT from Oklahoma and another for a sure thing, like Antrelle Rolle. A RB is certainly a need, but there is nobody coming out that looks to be a regular 1000+ yarder. Surely somebody will emerge.

As for the coaching, who wouldn't want Parcells? But with the players we have I don't think any current coach is willing to jump ship to join us.

The system? USC is a running school!

Now Orton is the product of a system, much like Drew Brees was. If Brees was in the Pro Bowl everybody would have Orton as this year's Manning, but Drew Brees isn't all that. And Orton will be put in the same ship.

Everyone speaks highly of Orlovsky but I have never seen him or his team in action and while he may be a great QB he isn't exactly playing against any good defenses it seems like. Even Chad Pennington and Leftwhich at Marshall played a couple of games a season against big time programs. I'm not saying he won't be a good pro QB, but it won't be easy to paint him as a #1 draft pick. If you watch a lot of UConn football, maybe you see there something I'm missing.

I think the ideal situation would be to have two top 15 picks and use one on that mammoth OT from Oklahoma and another for a sure thing, like Antrelle Rolle. A RB is certainly a need, but there is nobody coming out that looks to be a regular 1000+ yarder. Surely somebody will emerge.

As for the coaching, who wouldn't want Parcells? But with the players we have I don't think any current coach is willing to jump ship to join us.

582007[/snapback]

another CB?? we already have 4 pretty good ones. I like the idea of the OT but then I think we'll need a DT or a LB because bowens and chester always seem to be hurt and Seau is gone after this year. We also need to trade Madison to ANYONE and get a few picks. But most important of all, we HAVE to get rid of this whole coaching staff and GM.

Big test for them is next weekend, playing on Oct. 13 against West Virginia. I'm not sure I would take him as a #1 draft pick, but I think a middle-round flyer would be a great place for this kid in the draft next year.

I wish Jimmy would return as a GM but that probably wouldn't happen.

You got to get two first round picks by trading down. This team needs multiple players to get good again, not just one. It would be nice if Ricky decided to return so we could get a first out of that.

Also this offseason it may be time to trade one of our shutdown corners, preferably Madison. Hopefully someone would want him bad

enough for a first rounder or maybe a second

Obviously I think Jay would be cut

Maybe pickup Edgerrin for the offense

Coach wise I have no idea who it could be.

Use the draft for O linemen early, linebacker, DT, and maybe a corner

Is it bad we are already talking about the offseason? Anyways I wouldn't be surprised to see the Phins with a little extra energy this week trying to 'protect' the record. We will see how much that does if anything.

fire wanny, speilman

only add-on to this o-line, dont dismantle it like last year

trade down in the draft to have 2 top 15-20 picks. no one guy in the draft really impresses me and just one pick cant address this teams problems

address qb. either draft a qb or sign a veteran fa. dump fiedler and/or feely

This one is easy.

Fire Wannestedt and improve the offense line, get a decent quarterback, and the fins should be fine in '05.

Your team has a very good defense, if anybody on your offense could block or throw, you'd have a good team, it's not like you hopelessly suck like San Francisco.....

steal eric winston

582538[/snapback]

He just destroyed his knee. I'm not really excited to have a guy who's gonna need 2 years to recover along with having to learn the second most difficult position on the field.

We've probably sucked our way out of the Edgerrin James sweepstakes.

Our team needs to start trading away some of our defensive studs and stockpile some draft picks. And we need to get someone in here who knows what to do with those damn draft picks. I would try to bring an assload of young players the next 2-3 years, hire a college coach who knows what to do with these kids (i.e., Saban if possible), and surround him with some coaches with many years of NFL experience.

I mean we're actually going to get worse the next couple years. There's really no point in keeping guys like Sam Madison, or Jason Taylor, or whoever the hell around, so that we can go 4-12 as opposed to 2-14. I'm thinking long term because there is no short term. There's nothing worth salvaging.

If we suck real bad next year, which we will, maybe we can draft Reggie Bush as a franchise back. That guy rules. This team has so many positions of need right now, though, that I don't know what the hell they're going to do. They're looking at a 5 year rebuilding project.

Edit: I agree that trading down makes a lot of sense.

Our team needs to start trading away some of our defensive studs and stockpile some draft picks. And we need to get someone in here who knows what to do with those damn draft picks. I would try to bring an assload of young players the next 2-3 years, hire a college coach who knows what to do with these kids (i.e., Saban if possible), and surround him with some coaches with many years of NFL experience.

I mean we're actually going to get worse the next couple years. There's really no point in keeping guys like Sam Madison, or Jason Taylor, or whoever the hell around, so that we can go 4-12 as opposed to 2-14. I'm thinking long term because there is no short term. There's nothing worth salvaging.

If we suck real bad next year, which we will, maybe we can draft Reggie Bush as a franchise back. That guy rules. This team has so many positions of need right now, though, that I don't know what the hell they're going to do. They're looking at a 5 year rebuilding project.

Edit: I agree that trading down makes a lot of sense.

582695[/snapback]

I disagree here. The defense is still damn good. You get a DT, a LB next year and everything is all good on D.

You get a O lineman or two who can actually block and a RB you are in a good situation. Next year we will have Randy, Chambers, Boston, and Booker for receivers. Thats a pretty solid group of guys. Now if had any sort of running game along with a quarterback who had time in the pocket I would feel good about things.

Our team needs to start trading away some of our defensive studs and stockpile some draft picks.? And we need to get someone in here who knows what to do with those damn draft picks.? I would try to bring an assload of young players the next 2-3 years, hire a college coach who knows what to do with these kids (i.e., Saban if possible), and surround him with some coaches with many years of NFL experience.?

I mean we're actually going to get worse the next couple years.? There's really no point in keeping guys like Sam Madison, or Jason Taylor, or whoever the hell around, so that we can go 4-12 as opposed to 2-14.? I'm thinking long term because there is no short term.? There's nothing worth salvaging.

If we suck real bad next year, which we will, maybe we can draft Reggie Bush as a franchise back.? That guy rules.? This team has so many positions of need right now, though, that I don't know what the hell they're going to do.? They're looking at a 5 year rebuilding project.

Edit:? I agree that trading down makes a lot of sense.

582695[/snapback]

I disagree here. The defense is still damn good. You get a DT, a LB next year and everything is all good on D.

You get a O lineman or two who can actually block and a RB you are in a good situation. Next year we will have Randy, Chambers, Boston, and Booker for receivers. Thats a pretty solid group of guys. Now if had any sort of running game along with a quarterback who had time in the pocket I would feel good about things.

582697[/snapback]

You and your optimism. You do realize that we're a QB, an RB, and an entire offensive line away from having a good offense, right? This can't be patched up in one offseason, and the defense is going to need some patching up, too, as our stars get older and slower.

Mabdul and I are on the same page.

The reason for trading Madison and the rest of the aging stars on defense is because we won't be a playoff contender next year because we have nothing to build upon on offense. (Thanks Spielman!)

By the time the offense comes around the defensive players will be at least 2 years older. Add 2 years on an already old unit and they won't compete. Its better trading them while they are still highly valued and go for some kids that will be around in the future.

While I don't think getting a college coach is the answer, I rather see Kirk Ferentz or Stoops than Saban.

Perosnally, I'd rather not have a college coach. I would start my search with people like:

Charlie Weis

Romeo Crennel

Jim Mora, Sr.

Art Shell

Offensive Coordinator of Minnesota

Perosnally, I'd rather not have a college coach. I would start my search with people like:

Charlie Weis

Romeo Crennel

Jim Mora, Sr.

Art Shell

Offensive Coordinator of Minnesota

582816[/snapback]

I'll even take NYJ offensive cordinator.

582818[/snapback]

Paul Hackett blows. Trust me, we don't want him.

Guest marlins02

work on the O-line and start looking at that defense because its getting up there in age. tim bowens hasnt even suited up yet and he's been around since the shula days. also try to get a QB to compete with Feely and finally make a decision on wtf they think sage is gonna be. also, stop giving up draft picks in trades this year, i was petrified for a little while there hearing about Admin johnson coming here after already giving up a pick for gordon and of course feely during the off-season.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.