More coaching news

rferry

Hill accepts Marlins' offer to return

Bench, pitching and bullpen coach slots yet to be filled

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- For the past few seasons, the Marlins' infield defense has ranked among the best in the league.

The players themselves give much of the credit to first base/infield coach Perry Hill.

On the last day of the regular season, the Marlins extended an offer for Hill to return as an assistant for the 2005 season. After taking a few weeks to weigh his options, Hill has decided to remain with the team.

"I look forward to working again with the infielders," Hill said Monday from his Texas home.

Hill will be back for his fourth season in Florida, and 13th overall as an infield coach. He also is expected to remain the first base coach, although there could be some shuffling of the staff.

The Marlins also have asked hitting coach Bill Robinson, third base coach Jeff Cox and bullpen coordinator Pierre Arsenault to return. All are expected back.

Hill was attracting interest from other clubs. The Mets asked, but were denied, permission to talk with Hill. Assistants are under contract through Oct. 31.

In the Marlins' 2003 World Series championship season, the team featured two Gold Glove winners, second baseman Luis Castillo and first baseman Derrek Lee.

While with the Expos in 2001, Hill helped shortstop Orlando Cabrera win the Gold Glove. The following Spring Training, Cabrera expressed his thanks by offering Hill an autographed glove.

Hill is optimistic Castillo will repeat as a Gold Glove winner. He also is hopeful shortstop Alex Gonzalez, viewed as a long shot, will capture the top defensive award. Third baseman Mike Lowell is Gold Glove-worthy, but he won't likely win because St. Louis' Scott Rolen has had a grip on the award for years.

"Luis, I think, defensively is just in a class of his own," Hill said. "There is Luis in one echelon and everybody else is in the other. Luis is by himself."

As for Gonzalez, Hill said: "I'm going to be an optimist. He deserves it as much as everybody else."

In other coaching news, Doug Davis has agreed to remain in the organization as a minor league catching/baserunning coordinator. Before becoming the Marlins' bench coach on May 11, 2003, the day Jack McKeon was hired as manager, Davis was the organization's minor league field coordinator.

Davis was not asked back as a Major League assistant, but was offered a spot in the organization. The same holds true for Wayne Rosenthal, the former Marlins pitching coach, who has been offered the Double-A Carolina pitching coach position.

Rosenthal is believed to be leaning toward accepting that job.

Davis and Rosenthal are being offered the same salaries next year that they made at the Major League level.

The Marlins are searching for several assistants, including bench, pitching and bullpen coaches.

Former Phillies manager Admin Bowa remains a bench coach candidate. Reportedly, former big league catcher Joe Girardi, a television analyst for the YES Network, is another possibility.

Joe Kerrigan, who was dismissed as the Phillies' pitching coach, is being mentioned for the same job with the Marlins. Mark Wiley, formerly with the Orioles, is another possibility for the Marlins.

But Wiley may be leaning toward taking an assistant job with the Mariners, who just hired Mike Hargrove as manager. Wiley worked with Hargrove in Baltimore.

Girardi hasn't been a big league coach, but this season he has worked as a catching consultant with the Yankees organization.

Recently, Yankees manager Joe Torre endorsed Girardi as a big league assistant.

"I think he could do it," Torre told reporters before one of New York's playoff games. "Joe is very articulate, very into a lot of the intricacies of the game."

Good to see HIll is coming back. I kind of hope for Girardi as well just because if the bench coach is going to be our new manager I would prefer it not to be Bowa. Pitching coach I'm not really sure about.

*off topic, but going through my old baseball cards last week I found a Wayne Rosenthal from AAA. I forget the team but it was a from '90. Hilarious looking picture.

Kind of surprised he hasn't gotten any attention from any other major league teams, but oh well.

Joe Kerrigan?

interesting

very interesting

601244[/snapback]

Didnt he do a shittay job in philly?

601253[/snapback]

Yea but he was known as a magic worker in Boston a few years ago

601256[/snapback]

He wasn't a magician, he just happened to have Pedro Martinez. He blows.

Guest FishFanInPA

I don't want any Phillies coaches...there's a reason they got let go. And rumors actually said that Tim Worrell punched Kerrigan and that he got along with none of the pitchers....NO THANKS!

one name: Bob Gibson

601879[/snapback]

Yeah, would he actually do it though?

602086[/snapback]

Bob Gibson was without a doubt one the meanest, toughest pitchers to ever play the game. He's knock his mother down if it meant winning a game.

As far as Gibson was concerned the plate and anywhere near it BELONGED TO HIM (a lesson a few of the Marlins starters need to learn and in a hurry) and any batter who ventured too close was fair game for a high hard one. Would he make a good pitching coach, who knows? But it sure would be fun to watch. :thumbup

Guest Moneyball

one name: Bob Gibson

601879[/snapback]

Yeah, would he actually do it though?

602086[/snapback]

Bob Gibson was without a doubt one the meanest, toughest pitchers to ever play the game. He's knock his mother down if it meant winning a game.

As far as Gibson was concerned the plate and anywhere near it BELONGED TO HIM (a lesson a few of the Marlins starters need to learn and in a hurry) and any batter who ventured too close was fair game for a high hard one. Would he make a good pitching coach, who knows? But it sure would be fun to watch. :thumbup

602110[/snapback]

exactly one smart alic remark by beckett and burnett. and they'll be both on the floor. we need some discipline.