Is Delgado worth a 5 year deal?

jonnylons

He'll be overpaid by the end of the contract, but that's the way they set it up. He's only making 4 mil this year. Cabs and Delgado for less than 5 mil combined? All I can say is LOL.

Also, he's worth a 5 year deal because that 5th year only kicks in if he does some very, very good things. I hope that becomes a 5 year deal.

That third and fourth year could look bad, but if it brings the team a stadium it's all good.

667403[/snapback]

That is a good point and kind of how I see it. It is a risk but more like an investment in the future in a way. Delgado gets a chance to play here and win and futher push this team's marketability into other niches. Also, the identity of this team and its potential makes it a very powerful political statement... :mischief

Well, I think it is the 5th year that got him to sign with us...because I am sure we are deferring a lot of the money. Besides, reportedly, our deal was matched by the Muts...but hey, we dont got no stinking state income tax!

And Marlins2003 - 37 aint old...for a turtle! J/k...

Delgado's deal calls for him to get just $4 million this year, a baseball official told the AP on condition of anonymity.

Delgado receives $13.5 million in 2006, $14.5 million in 2007 and $16 million in 2008, and the agreement includes a $16 million option for 2009 that would become guaranteed based on how Delgado does in MVP voting and whether he earns postseason MVP awards.

Normally, vesting options are based on games played or plate appearances. However, Delgado can guarantee his fifth year based only on a creative point system.

He would get 10 points for winning the NL MVP award and nine for finishing second and so on under a formula that gives him one point for finishing 10th. He would get 20 points if he's the World Series MVP and 10 if he's the league championship series MVP. His MVP clause is also unique. According to ESPN.com Jayson Stark, Delgado would earn a $100,000 bonus if he wins an MVP award. But according to a source familiar with the contract, he also can earn $50,000 if he finishes second to the guy who wins this award every year -- Barry Bonds. If he finishes second to anyone else, he would not collect that bonus.

If the option doesn't become guaranteed, Florida would have the right to exercise a $12 million option. If the option is declined, Delgado would get a $4 million buyout.

incase anyone hasnt seen it..

I like the deal. Compare Delgado deal to the Beltre and Sexson deal.

We didn't get a bargain, but that was impossible to do with the type of free agent Delgado was and how much he changes the Marlin's dynamics. Delgado and Sloane knew it and they did an excellent job.

The way the deal is structure, lets all pray we will end up with a 5th year. There is a motivation for Delgado to be at the top of its game.

Admin and Loria come thru again

I think those clauses outlined are very interesting, if true. Because Delgot'em's contract will be incentive based for the 5th year...and it seems that this point system will serve as a safeguard. Very creative deal...might work out to not be so bad for the Marlins if that 5th year kicks in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.