Internship with the Marlins available

rferry

The Florida Marlins are looking for an intern in media relations. Position runs from late February through November or December. Pay is $500/month (not taxed). Other benefits include meals at home games, occasional additional pay for doing stats on broadcasts, and tickets. Requires flexible hours including weeknights, weekends and holidays, averaging 65-70 hours/week, although it can top 100 late in the season, and 90-hour weeks are normal during homestands. Requires strong knowledge of baseball and baseball stats, although if you're in the dugout you're all set. Requires lots of photocopying, decent computer skills and strong writing and editing skills. Experience with Quark Xpress and fluency in Spanish are preferred but not mandatory. If interested, contact the Florida Marlins by phone or e-mail. The main number is 305.626.7400- ask for media relations.

The Florida Marlins are looking for an intern in media relations. Position runs from late February through November or December. Pay is $500/month (not taxed). Other benefits include meals at home games, occasional additional pay for doing stats on broadcasts, and tickets. Requires flexible hours including weeknights, weekends and holidays, averaging 65-70 hours/week, although it can top 100 late in the season, and 90-hour weeks are normal during homestands. Requires strong knowledge of baseball and baseball stats, although if you're in the dugout you're all set. Requires lots of photocopying, decent computer skills and strong writing and editing skills. Experience with Quark Xpress and fluency in Spanish are preferred but not mandatory. If interested, contact the Florida Marlins by phone or e-mail. The main number is 305.626.7400- ask for media relations.

680534[/snapback]

Everything fits my skills, but I have no idea what Quark is...

That is a sh*tload of hours, though.

12 hour days during homestands, and you only get $500 a week?

My question is: do you get a ring if we win?

Then, I'd say it's worth it...

680544[/snapback]

I think so.

680547[/snapback]

And one hell of a reference for future jobs....

Not to mention free meals during home games! Oh my god! :whistle

And think of it as a "Clubhouse" sort of venture. You might get to chill in the stadium with the Spanish oposse.

680534[/snapback]

LMAO...

This screams out:

Any sports fan that has rich parents that can support you while we pay you nothing and work you long hours apply now!!!!!!

well thats how they get away with it. You arent allowed to pay someone that little and call it a job. Atleast the stuff you do is interesting. I was actually going to try and get an intership with the panthers last summer, except a little thing called a lock out came and ruined everything

LOL LOL LOL

$ 500 dls for 280 hours/MONTH??????

that's 1.785 /hour

wait a minute u get free meals :D :D

i think they were suppose to pay 2000 per month but because we signed delgado its 500 now.

680561[/snapback]

Does dinner include drinks? I am sure I would have enought 5 dollar beers to make up for it.

Quark is page layout software often used by newspapers and advertising firms to create (newspaper and ad) pages. Ironically I was the original beta-test site for Quark back in the eighties. I remember when Fred was a one man firm fighting against IBM and PageMaker for market share. He'd be at publishing conventions with his solo computer and fold-up desk in the corner of some exhibition hall when the big guys had 1000 sq ft booths in the center of all the action.

Thing was he had the better product and ultimately he won over the users. Much like the Marlins he just didn't listen to media guys counting him out and just kept making his product better and better.

Quark is page layout software often used by newspapers and advertising firms to create (newspaper and ad) pages. Ironically I was the original beta-test site for Quark back in the eighties. I remember when Fred was a one man firm fighting against IBM and PageMaker for market share. He'd be at publishing conventions with his solo computer and fold-up desk in the corner of some exhibition hall when the big guys had 1000 sq ft booths in the center of all the action.

Thing was he had the better product and ultimately he won over the users. Much like the Marlins he just didn't listen to media guys counting him out and just kept making his product better and better.

680565[/snapback]

That's a fascinating story, Marlins2003, sir!

QuarkXPress is my machete; use it every hour of every day at work. I swear by it. :thumbup

680534[/snapback]

By the way, where did you receive this information?

Basically you have to have no previous obligations.

No job, no school and no social life.

680572[/snapback]

Perfect 'job' for recent college grads. Delay those tuition loans while getting job experience and building some contacts. Most recent journalism grads are working as office temps, struggling to get published.

Basically you have to have no previous obligations.

No job, no school and no social life.

680572[/snapback]

Perfect 'job' for recent college grads. Delay those tuition loans while getting job experience and building some contacts. Most recent journalism grads are working as office temps, struggling to get published.

680598[/snapback]

I'm still curious where you quoted that from.

680565[/snapback]

That's a fascinating story, Marlins2003, sir!

QuarkXPress is my machete; use it every hour of every day at work. I swear by it. :thumbup

680581[/snapback]

Thanks.

I was a great program 12 years ago when I last used it and I can only imagine how good it is now. It really put Apple on the map as far as newspapers go and because he had the foresight to write it in C (or some variant I forget) he was able totransport it to the Windows platform when it came out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.