Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

No clear starter for opening day

Featured Replies

No clear starter for opening day

By Joe Capozzi

 

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

 

Thursday, February 24, 2005

 

JUPITER ? When the Marlins opened camp last spring, there was no mystery about which pitcher would start opening day. It was Josh Beckett, the Most Valuable Player of the 2003 World Series.

 

But with opening day 2005 more than a month away, there is no clear front-runner to start against the Atlanta Braves on April 5.

 

"I would hope that I get it,'' said right-hander A.J. Burnett, who made his first start last season in June after recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery.

 

"It's natural for any of us to say that. Why sell yourself short. You're not going to make that decision. Me personally? I haven't had my opening day yet.''

 

Beckett, who went 9-9 with a 3.79 ERA in 2004, said it's too early to think about opening day. "We haven't even made our first start of the spring yet,'' he said. "We'll see. Maybe it'll come down to whoever has the best spring.''

 

There was speculation among some players that Al Leiter would get the nod as a sign of respect for the veteran left-hander, who is making his return to the Marlins.

 

Manager Jack McKeon is expected to eventually line up his rotation so Leiter and left-hander Dontrelle Willis are separated between right-handers Beckett, Burnett and Ismael Valdez.

 

McKeon said all of his starters are worthy of starting the season's first game, and being named opening-day starter doesn't necessarily designate that pitcher as the staff ace.

 

"Maybe some guys need it for their ego,'' pitching coach Mark Wiley said. "But at the end of the season, the guy who wins the most games is the best pitcher, to me.''

 

 

Link to Full Article

 

I agree with Josh that whoever has the best Spring should get the nod for opening day. That being said, I hope it's AJ.

I agree with Josh that whoever has the best Spring should get the nod for opening day. That being said, I hope it's AJ.

 

 

me too :thumbup

so you are saying there is a chance that Hutchinson gets the nod?

 

sweet.

 

all kidding aside, I hope its AJ too

I watched Game 5 of the 2003 NLCS earlier today and I was reminded of the stuff Josh has. He's got 3 quality pitches (2 outstanding pitches, his curve and fastball, and a good changeup when he can keep the ball down). If he can keep the ball down, throw strikes, and stay healthy he's going to be dynamite. I love his fastball that rides up on hitters... it's got good movement. AJ's fastball is good, but it's damn straight... not too much movement. His curve is vicious, but he doesn't have a 3rd pitch. I'm rooting for Josh, but I would be happy with AJ as the opening day starter too.

AJ is becoming a cocky bastard. He has such tenacity and vigor that it's almost uncomforting....though I love his charisma and he acts a lot like Josh in his subtle arrogance :mischief2

 

 

That being said, I hope it's Josh. AJ does not seem loyal whatsoever. I am completely unattached from this guy--I hope he has a great year for us, but I know he won't be back unless we offer him a rediculous contract.

 

I like Joshy...He seems nice and my friend danced with him in a club three years ago.

I hope its Josh. I think Josh is our best pitcher.

 

That being said, I hope it's Josh. AJ does not seem loyal whatsoever. I am completely unattached from this guy--I hope he has a great year for us, but I know he won't be back unless we offer him a rediculous contract.

 

:thumbup I agree, I hope AJ does great for us but I have no attachment for AJ. Whenevr he gets a chance he bashes the organization. I think AJ is definately gone next year, unless we offer him something extraordinary.

Yep. These two guys are very competitive (read: cocky). Having the two attempt to one-up eachother might prove beneficial.

Call me crazy, but since the first series is with the Braves, and we need to win as many games against them this year, based on the following numbers I would go with Leiter first, then Burnett, and then Beckett. Beckett has lost a lot of games against the Braves, even though his ERA is pretty solid. I would not even think about using Willis, his numbers are atrocious...

 

Leiter 5 W, 2 L, 2.14 ERA in 11 games.

Burnett 2 W, 2 L, 3.86 ERA in 7 games.

Beckett 2 W, 6 L, 3.86 ERA in 9 games.

Willis 1 W, 2 L, 5.51 ERA in 6 games.

Valdez 1 W, 0 L, 4.80 ERA in 3 games.

  • Author

Burnett

Leiter

Beckett

Willis

Valdez

 

AJ will have a strong year. Starting Beckett 3rd will serve to motivate him, plus give him better match-ups.

As long as our ace is the best pitcher in the rotation I could care less. If Ismael Valdez has a monster numbers in spring training then give him the nod.

The four weeks of spring training games is hardly enough sample size to project a full season.

Even though I think Burnett should get the nod (I was always for Beckett, but changed my mind), I wouldn't mind seeing Al Leiter get the start as this may be his last season in the Majors.

 

 

But Josh is on the right track, it should go to whomever has the better spring. :thumbup

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.