March 18, 200521 yr Glad yesterday's postponed game became split-squads games today and not just a reschedule. LoDuca needs more playing time. But, so do Treanor, DiFelice, Jorgy and Willingham. Back-up and 3rd spot catching is still up in the air. DiFelice has the edge, and has been getting the AB's. And performing okay. Treanor has last year's experience. Jorgy hasn't been given many opportunities. Willingham is a a potential 3rd because of his versatility and potential stick. All I'm saying is LoDuca needs playing time right now, and so do 4 other competing catchers. Will be interesting to see how Jack handles that challenge.
March 18, 200521 yr Author Guess my posting was not as important as "rubber wrist bands" or "Cabrera sightings." Anyone want to talk baseball? Who should be the Marlins back-up and 3rd Catcher? LoDuca has not shown he can play every game (indeed, his tenure is suspect). His back-uos are critical Anyone want to talk baseball? Jack is hard-pressed, time-wise, to make a decision.
March 18, 200521 yr I'm torn between Treanor and DiFelice... Treanor is the emotional choice. He's the guy that endured all this time in the minors and finally made his way to the bigs. He's also the incumbent... DiFelice, however, has the experience... And he's performed well this Spring.. Should be interesting. I don't see us carrying 3 catchers though... LoDuca needs some rest, but I don't think he needs the amount of rest that would demand a 3rd catcher. I'd also like to see Willingham make the roster cause of his versatility, but not at the sake of Chris Aguila. I think he'll make a great 4th/5th outfielder for us.
March 18, 200521 yr Like I have said before Willingham should be the 3rd catcher, because he can also cover a number of positions at the same time, not to mention a good bat off the bench to pinch hit. We can have him catch guys in the bullpen, let him catch MLB pitchers, guys he will catch one day. Not only helping hm become a better catcher, but also get some chemistry between him and some of the guys. Not to mention he will be able to learn from Lo Duca. At the same time he will be able to do infield practice with the squad, learn from Conine. As well as get him MLB swings in.
March 18, 200521 yr Author Thanks Marlins Giants. My interest in a 3rd Catcher is someone who can take the place of emergency catcher Mordecai. I think Wilingham fits that.
March 18, 200521 yr I gotta go Defelice...Treanor just doesn't have it at the plate. He only had one RBI last year(Even though a pretty big one against the white sox in the 11th. One of the games I went to , his average was meh, but he knows the pitching staff...its a tough situation. I agree with all of you on Willingham
March 18, 200521 yr we dont need a 3rd catcher. mordecai only played cause someone was a baby last year.
March 18, 200521 yr we dont need a 3rd catcher. mordecai only played cause someone was a baby last year. 714210[/snapback] Haha.... True. The only need for an emergency catcher is a situation like an extra inning game, where the backup catcher already replaced the starting catcher, pinch-hit, or injuries. However, if Willingham makes the team, I think his primary spots will be to spell Lowell, Conine or Enc, and lastly he'll be an emergency catcher... Just my opinion.
March 18, 200521 yr As of right now I think DeFelice should win the job. I know many want Treanor because he's finally getting a chance after so long, but we have to have the best backup cather win the job, and right now the best catcher has being DeFelice. I also agree that Mackeon has a challange in trying to get the five catchers to get enough at bats. Its going to be interesting to see how he figures it out.
March 18, 200521 yr i dont want difelice winning the job. but thats just me personally because he has proven to suck more often than not.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.