who would you rather have

juanpierre

You dont break Timmy's single season 3 pt record by accident.

I love Skip, but he doesnt shoot a good percentage plus he turns the ball over way too much.

DJ is perfect for the scheme the Heat are currently playing. I dont think Skip would fit in as well as DJ has.

Skip is more of a free spirit on offense. He can create things. Thats not needed in the Heat's current offense.

Depending on the circumstance I would pick either one. This years Heat team I take DJ, last years Heat team I take Skip.

Plus Skip last year came off the bench, most of the time Wade was handling the point guard duties.

Guest Juanky

You dont break Timmy's single season 3 pt record by accident.

I love Skip, but he doesnt shoot a good percentage plus he turns the ball over way too much.

DJ is perfect for the scheme the Heat are currently playing. I dont think Skip would fit in as well as DJ has.

Skip is more of a free spirit on offense. He can create things. Thats not needed in the Heat's current offense.

Depending on the circumstance I would pick either one. This years Heat team I take DJ, last years Heat team I take Skip.

Plus Skip last year came off the bench, most of the time Wade was handling the point guard duties.

728668[/snapback]

When the team was winning last season, the majority of the minutes saw Skip at 1 and Wade at 2. Anyone who denies this has a short memory span.

Guest Juanky

Way to be creative with ways of saying things.

So tell me, how could this lineup have been there on the majority of the time if Skip played in all 82 games, averaging 31.5 minutes per game? He can only play point guard, so that means for 31.5 minutes per game Dwayne Wade would have to play shooting guard. Now, last time I checked, there were 48 minutes in a basketball game. Since my third grade teacher taught me that 31.5 was 65.6% of 48, and a majority is 50% + 1 of which 65.6 is clearly greater, that would have to mean that a majority of the time Skip was point guard and Flash was 2 guard, no?

You have to remember that C. butler was injured for a stretch of play and so was D Wade. Your looking at it from the view point that Alston played all 82 games @ 31.5 min per. When Wade was healthy and Butler was healthy Alston's role diminished a bit. Playing less than 24 min a game for many games.

PS way to be pompous in your last post, youll make a fine lawyer

Guest Juanky

I don't care how you slice it, Alston played in every game at an average of 31.5 per game only at the point guard position.Subtract 31.5 from 48, and you get 16.5. So 16.5 minutes of every game, Alston wasn't playing point guard, while 31.5 he was. Even with Caron's injury, even with anything you want to throw in there, there is no way you can slice the numbers. 31.5 minutes out of 48 average while playing in EVERY GAME is a majority of the time, I'm sorry to inform you.

But look, I'll even break it down for you with some funky math so you can understand better, and I'm not even getting community service for it!

31.5 -> Minutes Skip played per game

16.5 -> Minutes Skip did not play per game

48 -> Minutes per basketball game

82 -> Games Skip played

82 -> Games the Heat played

PG -> Position Skip plays

SG, SF, PF, C -> Positions Skip does not play

PG is Skip's position, this is all he played.

82 = 82, therefore Skip played in every game and his average for minutes is accurately spread despite injuries.

31.5 > 16.5, therefore Skip played PG for more than time than anyone else, and Dwayne Wade must have been playing SG.

Again.

D Wade didnt play every minute with Alston and vice versa. Now 31.5 is an avg. Some games especially when D Wade was injured (you do admit Wade was injured last year) Alston would play a greater role, playing upwards of 40 minutes a game. Now since it is an AVG it means that Alston would have played games at under 24 min a game which is less than 48 min.

Alston played 20 games last season under 24 min a game.

He played another 20 under 30 min a game.

His minutes increased incredibly in January when D Wade got hurt, where he was playing over 40 min a game.

Again he did NOT play all 82 games at 31.5 min or more. In fact it was roughly HALF.

Yes, Alston played a nice role with the Heat to help them get to where they got last year. But the stars of the team were EJ, Wade and LO. The majority of the play was amongst Wade, EJ, Butler, LO, and Grant when all 5 were healthy.

You do understand what an AVERAGE is.

31.5 > 16.5, therefore Skip played PG for more than time than anyone else, and Dwayne Wade must have been playing SG.

728960[/snapback]

yikes.

quite a beatdown.

729005[/snapback]

Take a second and read the thread.

729011[/snapback]

you want whole numbers instead of averages?

3936 = number of minutes in a season.

2581 = number of minutes skip played the point

1355 = number of minutes anyone else on the team could have possibly played the point.

With this team, offensively, I'm taking DJ. He just plays so controlled, knows his role, and is a better shooter. I think. Plus, he hasn't threatened to quit basketball yet this season, unlike Skip who has made that threat twice.

From everything I read, DJ kind of sucks on defense. But Shaq masks those deficiencies pretty well. Rafer may be a better defender, I honestly have no idea.

But this year, with this team, I'm taking DJ.

What you guys are not understanding is that games which D Wade DID NOT PLAY DUE TO INJURY Alston would play 40+ minutes. If Wade were available then Alston would not have played those 40+ minutes. Thus his AVG would have been much less than 31.5min a game.

729047[/snapback]

haha, yes, we all understand this.

Guest Juanky

Since you apparently can't comprehend the base numbers, let's go deeper.

Let's check out some 'intangibles' if you will.

In November, Skip averaged only 24.6 minutes per game, his lowest month of the season. The team went 5-9, the most losses they suffered in any month last season. His second lowest total, in Decemeber, the team managed just 6-8. Hardly stellar.

Now, the months he had alot of minutes? In January, with Wade out all but three games, the Heat still went 8-8 thanks to Alston taking the team on his back for almost 39 minutes per game. Wade returns, but Alston's minutes are decreased by 8 per game - what happens? 4-8 record, the worst winning percentage in any full month last season. However SVG does a wise thing and ups Skip's minutes the next month to 34.1 with the streetballer as the PG a game, and the team responds by having their best month, going 13-2. In April he still gets more than his average of 30.5 when he gets just over 32 per game, and the results are a 5-2 record that month and a playoff berth.

Months where Skip had over 31 minutes per game at the point, the Heat went 26-12. Months where Skip did not have at least 31 minutes per game at the point, the Heat went 16-28. Hard to argue with results.

Why dont you look at LO's #s and Wade's #'s later in the year. They all had better #s later in the year. The team as a whole played better later in the year. The team had like 80% new players from the year before. It took time for them to gel. Again Im not saying Alston didnt do s#!t. Alston did plenty. Alston would not fit in with the current Heat team as well as he fit in with last years team. DJ is way better suited for the current Heat team. You can see that in my original post. Lets not kid ourselves either, Wade and LO carried this team into the playoffs. Everyone else helped out.

Guest Juanky

There isn't a player last year that had such an impact as Skip record wise. Feel free to look it up, stats don't tell the whole story. Wins is all that counts in the end.

And Skip is still a better defender than DJ anyways, my sole reason for selecting him. I'd prefer a different PG than either of them for this team really.