Valdez scratched from start

MIAMI -- Tough luck keeps hovering over Ismael Valdez.

The right-hander began Spring Training with a throat virus, now his first scheduled regular-season start has been scratched because of a bruised lower right leg.

Valdez, slated to start on Saturday against the Nationals at Dolphins Stadium, was struck by a line drive while facing Minor Leaguers at Roger Dean Stadium on Monday. Feeling discomfort while running and pushing off the mound on Thursday, he will now rest the next couple of days.

Filling in on Saturday will be veteran Brian Moehler, a former standout with the Tigers who was carried as an emergency starter and long reliever.

"It's something I just can't control," said Valdez of his offseason mishaps. "I feel good. They just don't want to take a chance."

"I think we're going to switch to Moehler," said manager Jack McKeon. "[Valdez is] having trouble pushing off, so we'll give him a few extra days."

Moehler has successfully recovered from Tommy John surgery performed in May 2003. A non-roster invitee, he was a standout in Spring Training, and is the reason the club decided to carry 12 pitchers.

Because the Marlins have an off-day set for Thursday, April 14, Valdez was going to be held out of a start while the top four of Josh Beckett, Al Leiter, A.J. Burnett and Dontrelle Willis remained on a five-day schedule.

Valdez likely will pitch in relief in the meantime, as he will be available sometime early next week.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

I actually think Brian Moehler will have a better game than Valdez would've had.

733591[/snapback]

Valdez was great at home last year, if he was on the road that's a whole different story.

But regardless, i'm so glad that Moehler will be starting as opposed to Bump/Howard/Kensing/blah.