Military Aviators

Accord

I'm in college right now majoring in probably the most boring subject on the planet, political science (thought it was going to be interesting and open up a door for me into law school, but i'm quickly decision this just isn't my niche). Well anyways, i've always had an interest in flying and my interest was spiked a few months ago when a friend of mine began taking helicopter flying lessons with the goal of eventually becoming a commecial pilot. Since i'm only 19 and pretty early into my college career, i'm still exploring my options for later in life.

I looked into becoming a military aviator and the Army seems pretty promising and straight forward, mind you I am only interested in rotary aircraft, not planes so naturally the Army seemed the most logical choice. On GoArmy.com they broke down the steps you take from becoming a civilian all the way to a full fledged military aviator and basically you enlist in the Army, complete 9 weeks of basic training, then go to 6 weeks of Warrant Officer Candidate School and after those 6 weeks you become a warrant officer and then go directly into the Warrant Officer Flight Training Program (WOFT) for many weeks and after completing the WOFT program you will be a full fledged military aviator qualified to fly UH-60 Black Hawks, CH-47 Chinooks, OH-59 Kiowa's, and AH-64A Apache's.

Before anyone says it, yes I know, it's much easier said than done. You also get paid throughout the entire training with a pretty big bonus for your expertise, then you also get paid additional flight pay and all sorts of other benefits. Not to mention once you're done, there will be an endless amount of opportunities.

When I was younger (like 12-13) my dream (aside from being a professional baseball player :D ) was to be a pilot in the Coast Guard flying Dauphin's, well I checked with the Coast Guard yesterday and the only way to be a CG aviator is to become an aviator in another branch first.

I've heard that it's damn near impossible to be guaranteed a pilots slot in the Navy, Airforce, etc. unless you actually attend one of their respective military academies which I can't do, but in the Army as long as you become a warrant officer and complete the WOFT program, you're guaranteed a slot.

Does everyone who meets the minimum requirements to becoming a warrant officer get accepted into WOCS? I don't want to enlist, go through basic training, and then get rejected from WOCS and subsequently WOFT and be stuck doing some worthless job in the Army for 8 years like they advertise on TV. I only want to enlist and go through with all of this if i'm guaranteed the opportunity to go to WOCS and WOFT.

If anyone in here is a military aviator and/or a warrant officer in the Army, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks!

I don't know any military flyers .. but my uncle is a commercial pilot who went through the coast guard (but didn't fly for them)

upon completion he enrolled at embry-riddle and built up his hours and licenses ... he did a lot of private jet flying, commercial goods, instruction and now finally works for one of the major airlines

it's a tough industry and if your dream is flying military then go for it in that route ... just beware that recruiters often overpromise and most of my friends entered the milatary with illusions of doing a specific task and then never really making it to that level

it will definitely test your perseverance and committment, but if that you're dream then the tests shouldn't be a problem

hopefully someone can provide better insight than that

I don't know any military flyers .. but my uncle is a commercial pilot who went through the coast guard (but didn't fly for them)

upon completion he enrolled at embry-riddle and built up his hours and licenses ... he did a lot of private jet flying, commercial goods, instruction and now finally works for one of the major airlines

it's a tough industry and if your dream is flying military then go for it in that route ... just beware that recruiters often overpromise and most of my friends entered the milatary with illusions of doing a specific task and then never really making it to that level

it will definitely test your perseverance and committment, but if that you're dream then the tests shouldn't be a problem

hopefully someone can provide better insight than that

734371[/snapback]

Yeah, i've heard lot's of horror stories with recruiters. I found a great article called "What the recruiter didn't tell you" on about.com, lot's of helpful info in it and basically the gist of it is, if a recruiter makes a promise to you, it's absolutely worthless and means nothing at all unless it's written in bold letters in your enlistment contract.

This is a big issue for me, because i'm only interested in becoming an Army aviator and I don't want to enlist, go through basic, and then end up getting rejected from WOCS and subsequently the WOFT and then be stuck for years doing some job that I never wanted. I do meet the minimum requirements for WOCS, but I don't know if everyone who meets the requirements gets accepted or if there's a lot of competition with very limited slots available or what.

IF you want to fly helicopters, the army is the way to go, even though they do have C-130 transports that you can fly too. The marines have a guarented flight contract, talk to a recruitor about it. It's in writing that your gaurentted to attend flight training given you meet the health standards, but it dosent guarentee that you wont wash out of flight training. The hardest thing about military aviation is that it is so competitive, and ussually there are 300 pilot trainies trying to get into 125 flight spots. I know people who have been through the training and it is very dificult (all branches), the flight instructors leave no room for error in your training and it is very easy to get washed out, I would look into all military branch options and find out which branch is desperate for pilots. I would have joined the military if my right eye wasent so near sighted, my advice is to look at all the options before making a decision...........Air Force- Navy......ROTC program.....Marines- gaurented flight contract, Army- not sure how that works other then going to west point.....but good luck, wish i could have the opertunity to fly those planes, but flying learjets for a living is cool too compared to most normal jobs

check out this site for the marines thing, i took a look and it didnt say anything about the gaurenteed flight contract but i'm sure if you talked to a recruitor he could fill you in., but in case your interested

http://www.marines.com/officer_programs/be...sp?format=flash

IF you want to fly helicopters, the army is the way to go, even though they do have C-130 transports that you can fly too. The marines have a guarented flight contract, talk to a recruitor about it. It's in writing that your gaurentted to attend flight training given you meet the health standards, but it dosent guarentee that you wont wash out of flight training. The hardest thing about military aviation is that it is so competitive, and ussually there are 300 pilot trainies trying to get into 125 flight spots. I know people who have been through the training and it is very dificult (all branches), the flight instructors leave no room for error in your training and it is very easy to get washed out, I would look into all military branch options and find out which branch is desperate for pilots. I would have joined the military if my right eye wasent so near sighted, my advice is to look at all the options before making a decision...........Air Force- Navy......ROTC program.....Marines- gaurented flight contract, Army- not sure how that works other then going to west point.....but good luck, wish i could have the opertunity to fly those planes, but flying learjets for a living is cool too compared to most normal jobs

check out this site for the marines thing, i took a look and it didnt say anything about the gaurenteed flight contract but i'm sure if you talked to a recruitor he could fill you in., but in case your interested

http://www.marines.com/officer_programs/be...sp?format=flash

735339[/snapback]

The Marines guaranteed flight contract does sound good, but you must go through OCC which requires a 4 year degree and i'm not even a full year into my freshman year of college. Same goes for the Airforce and Navy, and nearly all aviation spots are filled by those coming out of the respective academies :( .

The beauty of the Army is that it's the only branch where you can enlist as a civilian, go through basic, then go straight to the ~6 week warrant officer candidate school and when you get out you'll have the same priviledges as an officer once you attain a W2.

I've spent the past 72 hours doing nothing but researching this and it's just a huge maze with lot's of conflicting information from a number of different sources and recruiters aren't very helpful.

Guest Fritz

All the services utilize helicopters so he doesn't necessarily have to go Army-only.

That said, I just watched Black Hawk Down. What a great film.