The story on Brian Moehler

Beetle

For those asking themselves who Moehler is and where he came from, here you go -- the scoop on the guy who IMO, despite the back-to-back jacks, has done a good job so far. I particularly enjoyed the part about how the Braves made him an offer he didn't like, which prompted him to sign with the enemy -- the Marlins.

BTW, it appears that Todd Jones :ymca is going to be keeping a blog in the Palm Beach Post website. That could be an interesting resource as the season moves along. I wonder how much of the content is edited, though (if at all).

Moehler a good surprise for Marlins

Posted by Todd Jones at 9:00 PM

There is always one guy who makes the team who wasn't in the Marlins' plans that much in spring training. Brian Moehler is that man this year.

I played with Big Moe during his heyday in Detroit. He is a workhorse. In Detroit, he gave you close to 200 innings every year and gave your team a chance to win every game. For a starter, that's the most important stat you need to know.

Tiger Stadium closed in 1999, and Big Moe was the winning pitcher for the last game there. When the new park opened, he was the guy who opened it. The Tigers would not let just any guy do those things. Moe was in the plans for the Tigers for years to come.

However, in 2001, injury shortened his season. He blew out his shoulder and missed the better part of 2001. In 2002, he was making his comeback and got dealt to Cincinnati. Baseball changes quickly ? one year you're in, the next year you're out.

From Cincinnati he went to Houston, where he got hurt again. This time he blew out his elbow, swinging a bat of all things. . .

After Tommy John surgery in 2003, he knew if he wanted to make it back he would just have to go somewhere and pitch. No one in baseball wanted to give him a chance. Finally, the Braves did, in Class AA Greenville last season. After closing one of the most famous stadiums in baseball and opening a brand-new park, he was back in AA, making sure he was getting his work in because he knew what no one else did. He knew what was inside. He knew he could make it back.

What's amazing about Big Moe is he didn't have to ride the bus in AA to the cities. The Braves said he could fly. But he rode the bus like everybody else. He didn't have to lift weights like everybody else did in AA, but he did. He was just one of the guys. He was there to teach those young guys how to work and how to be professional and how to show up and compete even if you don't have your best stuff.

At the end of the season, the Braves were so impressed with his work ethic they offered him a coaching job to help their young guys. That was the wrong thing to say. That made him so mad it was more fuel for his fire.

He politely said no thanks and signed with the Marlins. In spring training, he pitched 19 innings and gave up three runs and made the club. From the bus leagues back to the big leagues. This is a guy we could all learn from. Big Moe didn't want preferential treatment ? all he wanted was a chance to pitch.

One might say he was lucky to make it back. I say you don't know Big Moe. He will tell you that luck is preparation meeting opportunity.

We opened the season against the team that offered him a coach's job, the Braves. What does he do his first time out of the pen in his career?

Two innings, one hit, no runs and a chance for us to win. That's the most important stat you need to know.

Link

Guest Juanky

If you watched the game you know that Moe was getting knocked around pretty good, but was saved by the spacious ballpark. The sooner we get Spoon and Ried, the better.

736944[/snapback]

He pitched to his park, no problem with that. I can think of a few pitchers who have had success doing that.

And I'll take 2 ER 3 H from a guy that is an emergency starter.

If you watched the game you know that Moe was getting knocked around pretty good, but was saved by the spacious ballpark.? The sooner we get Spoon and Ried, the better.

736944[/snapback]

He pitched to his park, no problem with that. I can think of a few pitchers who have had success doing that.

736952[/snapback]

That's an underhanded way of saying he got lucky as hell. Pitched to his park? lol. Check his career. Moe is worse than Valdez at surrendering the gopher ball. I'm glad he didn't get shelled, but I see it as a rare event.

Guest Juanky

Can't a pitcher just pitch to his park? Other pitchers do it, but Moehler can't because he isn't a Maddux or a Glavine? You have a superior defense outside of left field behind you, and you have a spacious park. Putting the ball in the air is to your benefit as more often than not the park will hold it in.

Give the guy a break, he gave up 2 runs on short notice for starting, that's better than most teams can ask for.

Such hatred.

If you watched the game you know that Moe was getting knocked around pretty good, but was saved by the spacious ballpark.? The sooner we get Spoon and Ried, the better.

736944[/snapback]

736952[/snapback]

That's an underhanded way of saying he got lucky as hell. Pitched to his park? lol. Check his career. Moe is worse than Valdez at surrendering the gopher ball. I'm glad he didn't get shelled, but I see it as a rare event.

736956[/snapback]

Relax man...i like Moehler. Who would you rather have as a 6th starter? Bump or Kensing? I don't think so.

In one inning Moehler got hit really hard but went one-two-three. I don't remember how the outs were caught but Church hit one to the left field track that was crushed and he was LUCKY to get out of that one. Of course the next time he faced that part of the lineup he gave up two home runs. :confused