Judge green lights Ephedra/Ephedrine

ToadLicker

I've had enough chemistry classes to know that ephedrine is in the same class of compounds as dexadrine, benzadrine, methadrine, etc. IOW - it is a compound with "speed" type metabolic characteristics and chemistry.

I'm sure the hash-brownie crowd will be heartened by this ruling though :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2037373

A federal judge Thursday struck down the FDA ban on ephedra, the once-popular weight-loss aid that was yanked from the market after it was linked to dozens of deaths -- including that of Baltimore Orioles pitching prospect Steve Bechler.

Nutraceutical claimed that ephedra "has been safely consumed" for hundreds of years, and that ephedra was wrongly being regulated by the FDA as a drug and not a food.

The medical examiner also said that ephedrine -- the active substance in the plant ephedra -- played a major role in the pitcher's death.

Campbell's ruling sends the matter back to the FDA "for further rulemaking consistent with the court's opinion"

I was surprised that the ban was struck down...I thought that all of the deaths of people that had used the substance would prove that it was dangerous in some way.

742719[/snapback]

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Food and Drug Administration failed to prove certain "low dose" ephedra supplements are unsafe, a U.S. court said in a ruling announced on Thursday that could allow some types of the controversial weight loss pill back on the market

It lifts the restriction on ephedra supplements with 10 milligrams or less of the active ingredient...

link

I was surprised that the ban was struck down...I thought that all of the deaths of people that had used the substance would prove that it was dangerous in some way.

742719[/snapback]

Its speed - "Speed Kills" :lol

If they allow it back in lower doses, people will just gobble handfulls or whatever it takes to get the effect they wanted. Kinda like beer - apply as much as required to get the desired effect.

People have OD'd on asprin and died because their blood chemistry went too acidic. Almost any drug can be abused to the point of fatality. Even too much water kills - stories are out now about runners keeling over dead from drinking too much water during long races. It thinned their blood and whacked the sodium levels fatally low.

It was banned in the first place because it could cause heart attacks, correct?

742787[/snapback]

Yes...it speeds up everything in your body, your heart, you BMR...just like speed does. If you have taken too much of it and you are doing high intensity exercise, there is a HUGE risk for heart attacks.