Hardest Position to play

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

Discuss.

And yeah, this was the last one. I'm going to put the five winners in a later poll to find out which is the hardest. This was a debate I resolved in my head and I want to see how wrong I am.

Guest Juanky

I'll go with OL just because it's so demanding physically you have to essentially protect the entire offense in the manifestation of the QB and RB.

Guest Juanky

Center

Thats not even a choice. You cant sum up OL as one position, its 5 positions and they all are different.

746296[/snapback]

Yeah, I know, but then I'd have to list all of them and then list all the others individually as well, and I didn't want 22 options.

Guest Juanky

not to mention we (OL) get no publicity

746299[/snapback]

That seems to be a recurring theme with the hardest positions to play, lack of 'big names'.

Catcher, Point Guard, Line, etc. Maybe Goalie in hockey, but they are also the equivalent of the pitcher so you can see why some of them are famous.

Center

Thats not even a choice. You cant sum up OL as one position, its 5 positions and they all are different.

746296[/snapback]

well, they're different in what they do, but they're probably equal in the toughness

if anything, center may be the easiest since there's just less mental work involved

Guest Fritz

Left Tackle (OL)

Most important position on the field because you basically are the first and last line of defense against the QB getting killed by a blitzing OLB or DE.

Left Tackle (OL)

Most important position on the field because you basically are the first and last line of defense against the QB getting killed by a blitzing OLB or DE.

746303[/snapback]

and sometimes you have account for both

protecting the QB's blind side is just not an easy position. You screw up, and you could cost your team for more than one play

I have no idea what you guys are basing this on.

OL? Not easy. But, really, not that hard either. The hard part is run blocking, knowing all the blocking schemes. Protecting the QB is easy. I mean, you can suck at it, and what-not, but the task itself is a very simple one. Don't let the 300 lb meanie get past you. There's not a whole lot to think about.

The QB has to know over 100 plays and he has to know them so well that he can react to them on pure instinct. That alone makes QB the hardest position to play. He also has to read dozens of different defenses. And, oh yeah, who's the guy getting nailed if the OL screws up? Yeah, that'd be the QB. Who would you rather be in that position...the lineman or the QB? Think about it.

You can argue that a lineman is more important than a QB (I'd disagree), you can obviously point out that linemen get plenty of blame and very little credit (I'd agree), but I don't see how anyone can possibly say lineman is a harder spot to play. And yet lineman has 4 votes, and QB has 1, so I guess people don't see it my way.

And, oh yeah, who's the guy getting nailed if the OL screws up? Yeah, that'd be the QB. Who would you rather be in that position...the lineman or the QB? Think about it.

746311[/snapback]

um...

Who's the guy getting nailed every single play?????????

and to say it's simple is not a very intellectual statement. Stopping the three hundred pound meanie is putting it a little lightly.

QB's have a lot of mental work, but once they know the plays, you can put it on cruise control. It's not like OL don't need to memorize plays either (granted, not nearly as much as QB's, but, yea...)

And, oh yeah, who's the guy getting nailed if the OL screws up?? Yeah, that'd be the QB.? Who would you rather be in that position...the lineman or the QB?? Think about it.

746311[/snapback]

um...

and to say it's simple is not a very intellectual statement. Stopping the three hundred pound meanie is putting it a little lightly.

QB's have a lot of mental work, but once they know the plays, you can put it on cruise control. It's not like OL don't need to memorize plays either (granted, not nearly as much as QB's, but, yea...)

746314[/snapback]

OLs take a physical beating, sure, but they also avoid the big hits that put players out for games, seasons, careers. You rarely seen a lineman carted off the field, you see it all the time with the guys who are really getting nailed out there. It's not like these linemen are little people either. They're almost always bigger than the guys they're going up against, so really they ought to be able to take it. These QBs are ants getting nailed by grasshoppers.

And, oh yeah, who's the guy getting nailed if the OL screws up?? Yeah, that'd be the QB.? Who would you rather be in that position...the lineman or the QB??? Think about it.

746311[/snapback]

um...

746314[/snapback]

OLs take a physical beating, sure, but they also avoid the big hits that put players out for games, seasons, careers. You rarely seen a lineman carted off the field, you see it all the time with the guys who are really getting nailed out there. It's not like these linemen are little people either. They're almost always bigger than the guys they're going up against, so really they ought to be able to take it. These QBs are ants getting nailed by grasshoppers.

746319[/snapback]

OL take on people just as big as they are... OL vs. DL

They avoid the BIG hits, but that doesn't mean it's not more physically painful.

QB's get hit maybe once a week. In practice, they get that goddamn red shirt and in games they get hit MAYBE once a week, where as lineman are going at it every play of every practice and every game.

Tell AJ Feely QBs get hit once a week.

746323[/snapback]

well that offensive line is pretty putrid, so I guess that goes for almost all teams

and the OL still took a pretty heavy toll. Except when they're getting blown by so fast they don't even touch the guy coming in.

CB takes the most athletic skill. But in terms of the mental and physical aspects of the game, the CBs have it pretty easy.

It's hard to be good. But I think you're either good or you're not. CBs probably show the least improvement over the course of their career. If you start good, you stay good. If you start bad, you stay bad. That's why I wouldn't call it the hardest. It all comes down to natural talent.

CB's, unless you're going up against a Terrell Owens or something, is all about fluidity, quickness, and athleticism. You either got it or you don't.

Though I really wouldn't know since i've never even come close to sniffing CB in my life. That's just my outside view assesment.