Swap Encarnacion for LoDuca?

I know that Encarnacion leads the Marlins in RBI's this year so far, but wouldn't you guy's think that having a more consistent hitter in LoDuca be better in the 5th spot? I would seem to think so at this point in time.

767379[/snapback]

20 for 53 or .377 with runners on

14 for 28 .500 with RISP

8 for 16 or .500 wtih RISP/2out

they found their clean up hitter at least while he's hot

I think the lineup is good the way it is. No need to change it. If Mikey heats up and plays like he is supposed to and Ency continues to do well with RISP, then I say return Mikey to the five spot, put Ency sixth, and Duca 7th. If we ever go to that lineup our offense will be SICK. Our 3-7 guys would be among the best in baseball.

I know that Encarnacion leads the Marlins in RBI's this year so far, but wouldn't you guy's think that having a more consistent hitter in LoDuca be better in the 5th spot? I would seem to think so at this point in time.

767379[/snapback]

14 for 28 .500 with RISP

767380[/snapback]

I admit those are great numbers, but he has also struck out 30% of his at bats compared to LoDuca's 10% of his at bats this season. LoDuca's batting average is also 50 points higher than Encarnacion's, and if he was batting behind Cabrera, I would think that he would be able to come close to duplicating those numbers and overall be more consistent.

767379[/snapback]

14 for 28 .500 with RISP

767380[/snapback]

I admit those are great numbers, but he has also struck out 30% of his at bats compared to LoDuca's 10% of his at bats this season. LoDuca's batting average is also 50 points higher than Encarnacion's, and if he was batting behind Cabrera, I would think that he would be able to come close to duplicating those numbers and overall be more consistent.

767388[/snapback]

I highly doubt Lo Dua's batting average would be .500 with RISP or .377 with runners on. The "clutch" numbers Ency is putting up are insane. I would imagine he's the best in baseball this year in those situations. Until Ency comes back to earth, I say we keep him batting 5th. The other thing is we need someone with some power batting 5th, and Ency's got 4 homeruns and a s*** load of doubles. Lo Duca has 1 hr and a few doubles (I am not sure how many doubles he has)

767379[/snapback]

14 for 28 .500 with RISP

767380[/snapback]

767388[/snapback]

I highly doubt Lo Dua's batting average would be .500 with RISP or .377 with runners on. The "clutch" numbers Ency is putting up are insane. I would imagine he's the best in baseball this year in those situations. Until Ency comes back to earth, I say we keep him batting 5th. The other thing is we need someone with some power batting 5th, and Ency's got 4 homeruns and a s*** load of doubles. Lo Duca has 1 hr and a few doubles (I am not sure how many doubles he has)

767389[/snapback]

It might only be me, but I get this feeling that he is already started to cool off. He has only had 1 RBI in the past 6 games, compared to Paul's 6. Encarnacion doesn't have the history of keeping up those kind of numbers and he has struck out in key moments in the past few games.

767379[/snapback]

14 for 28 .500 with RISP

767380[/snapback]

767388[/snapback]

767389[/snapback]

It might only be me, but I get this feeling that he is already started to cool off. He has only had 1 RBI in the past 6 games, compared to Paul's 6. Encarnacion doesn't have the history of keeping up those kind of numbers and he has struck out in key moments in the past few games.

767393[/snapback]

He's been coming up with men in scoring position less often. I've seen him hit with no men on quite a few times. But, you're right, if he doesn't start to pick up his RBI then we may have to make a change. However, only having 1 RBI over any given 6 game stretch isn't odd. Miggy, I am sure, has one 6 game span in which he had only 1 RBI. We'll see how things go. Mikey better freakin get hot if Ency cools down.

767379[/snapback]

14 for 28 .500 with RISP

767380[/snapback]

767388[/snapback]

767389[/snapback]

767393[/snapback]

He's been coming up with men in scoring position less often. I've seen him hit with no men on quite a few times. But, you're right, if he doesn't start to pick up his RBI then we may have to make a change. However, only having 1 RBI over any given 6 game stretch isn't odd. Miggy, I am sure, has one 6 game span in which he had only 1 RBI. We'll see how things go. Mikey better freakin get hot if Ency cools down.

767400[/snapback]

Very true, but all I'm trying to say is that consistency would be great, and LoDuca has shown that since he has been here batting over .300. It would seem right having our 4 batters who are batting over .300 in a row, and Pierre is at .299, so we all know he'll be back at .300 after tomorrow's game.

Pierre-.299

Castillo-.309

Delgado-.304

Cabrera-.374

LoDuca-.337

Encarnacion-.277

Mike Lowell-.200

Alex Gonzalez-.225

:hat :

I agree with Marlins2003, there's no reason to switch things up while we're winning. However, batting Enc 7th or 6th makes more sense for the type of hitter he is (batting significantly better with runners on) simply because the 5 hole hitter leads off more innings than any player other than the leadoff hitter...I mean, if we're going by stats to make the lineup, that's a pretty important one.

Still, I see no reason to change yet.

What website do you get RISP BA like Mateo got for Encarnacion? You guy's make very good points about "if it aint broke, don't fix it", but sooner or later we know that Encarnacion probably won't keep up those numbers, and it's starting to show these past few games. Why wait to change when it might hurt us down the road?

Guest Juanky

He only has 1 RBI in the last 6 days because Miguel's been driving everyone in.

And RISP stats along with almost any possible split are available on espn.com

It's amazing at how many people didn't want to resign LoDuca this past offseason. LOL Let me ask...Who is better?! Finding good offensive catchers aren't easy and LoDuca looks like the NL's best.

767447[/snapback]

Been trying to be positive lately here...

Relative to other positions, the offensive value is limited at catcher and the offensive range of catchers is small. If you can routinely find a .260/.320/.380 guy off the waiver wire, why pay millions for a .290/.360/.400 guy? Especially when he has to sit atleast 25 times a year. That's 25 less times he can help the club than a .290/.360/.400 at another position (where they are more frequent and cheaper). Unless the catcher makes a huge impact on the defensive end, where LoDuca is regarded as no better than average if that, there's no reason why you should overpay for the position.

Also there's injury and health concerns that have to be factored in. Catchers are at great risk of injury each time they step on the field in the immediate sense and in the long term with the back and knee concerns. Thus catchers with over 10 years of professional catching experience, such as LoDuca, are not the safest bets to produce at $6M-quality level. Those who look at his full-year stats for his career might suggest he hasn't been at that level since 2001.

I know not everyone takes baseball statistics to heart and there's a lot that none of us know about that goes into running a team and negotiating in the baseball market, but to suggest the Marlins could not have pieced together a contending team without signing a 32-year old catcher with dwindling offensive stats and a poor defensive rep to a huge deal is extremely shortsighted.

*sarcasm starts*

So can we trade Encarnacion now?

*sarcasm ends*

LoDuca looked pretty good in that number 5 spot there.

769715[/snapback]

last night i was against this, but it seems like he's cooling off in general, i think its time to drop him down, or maybe even throw him or agon in the number two spot while louie is out, gonzo looks horrible

*sarcasm starts*

So can we trade Encarnacion now?

*sarcasm ends*

769715[/snapback]

The great thing about baseball is that we only have to put up with these posts for 25-35% of a guy's at bats. Imagine if someone invested the effort to 'pwn' someone each time a player grounded out... out of control!