Burnett hopes to avoid injury

Miami Herald

A.J. Burnett has made so many visits to the Alabama office of Dr. James Andrews during the past two years that he has lost count of the number.

But he's hoping the one he made last week turns out to be the last.

''Hopefully, I won't see him anymore,'' said Burnett, who heads back to the mound tonight for the Marlins after missing his last scheduled start due to right elbow inflammation.

It was Andrews who did the reconstructive ligament surgery on Burnett's right elbow two years ago, and who did not find any structural damage when Burnett was there last week to make sure nothing serious was wrong with the elbow.

''I think it benefited me a lot,'' Burnett said of his time off, which allowed the inflammation to subside.

Burnett said Andrews joked with him during his recent visit, telling the pitcher that ``you're throwing too hard for too long.''

''He said `You're putting pressure on your elbow by throwing too hard. You need to pitch a little bit,''' Burnett said of their conversation.

But Burnett said he has no intention of easing up on a fastball that clocks in the high 90s.

'I said `Sorry Doc, I thought that was a good thing,' '' Burnett said. ``I said if that's the case [throwing fewer fastballs], make an appointment for June. I'll be back in here next week.''

Burnett, who has lost his past three decisions, is 3-4 but has a relative low 3.19 ERA.

I found the bolded part funny... and very scary.

This is the portion I found most illuminating -

''I think it benefited me a lot,'' Burnett said of his time off, which allowed the inflammation to subside.

Burnett said Andrews joked with him during his recent visit, telling the pitcher that ``you're throwing too hard for too long.''

''He said `You're putting pressure on your elbow by throwing too hard. You need to pitch a little bit,''' Burnett said of their conversation.

But Burnett said he has no intention of easing up on a fastball that clocks in the high 90s.

Dr. Andrews :thumbup

789974[/snapback]

Yeah, I liked that one too. He should be the pitching coach

This is the portion I found most illuminating -

789974[/snapback]

Yeah and Wiley also suggested Burnett to be more of a pitcher than a thrower but Burnett said he tried it last season when he came back and didnt work, so he is going back to trying and blow people by. Thats not the way to go....

Dr. Andrews? :thumbup

789974[/snapback]

Yeah, I liked that one too. He should be the pitching coach

789980[/snapback]

HA!!

Marlins won't invest any type of money long term to Burnett with his subborn attitude -- he's essentially saying he doesn't care if he injures himself, he just likes throwing gas.

Like someone said earlier, unless he eases up and takes it easy on his arm, it won't be long until he's back on the DL. What he doesn't seem to realize is every trip he makes to Dr. Andrews is probably a year and a few million he takes off his next contract.