Why America?

MarlinGuru

yeah tell me about it ... I hear it everyday

people need to stop being ignorants

the worst part is that a lot of south americans that live in this country dont even realize the fact that they are being insulted everyday by this, and the other way around, because they insult eachother by refering to north americans as plain americans ... as if the other part of the continent didn?t exist

Guest Moneyball

Jesus Christ.

Isn't there anything else to complain about?

So what are we going to call ourselves? United States of Americans?

Guest Moneyball

Jesus Christ.

846292[/snapback]

north americans seems pretty good too me

846306[/snapback]

What about Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic and all those countries? Won't they be disrespected?

Guest Moneyball

There has to be some technical reason why we call oursleves Americans and not something else. I know in Spanish we are called Estado Unidences(sp?).

This is similar to the debate me and CapeFish had a few months ago. The Angels in Spanish are referred to as "Los Angelinos" instead of "Los Angeles".

If you really care about this topic. Shouldn't you be chastising people from Africa who call themselves African. Their country isn't the only country in Africa. Is that disrespectful to the other people of Africa? Or Australia because it often gets refered to as a continent even though they're other countries in that continental region?

I assume, you could care less about this actual topic. Just using as a way to paint Americans as the most ignorant scum to walk the planet.

Why do you honestly care what a people decide to call themselves? Do you even know why we're called America? We got the name from Amerigo Vespucci, and so it's seems natural to call ourselves Americans. It's nonsense to say it's being rude and disrespectful, because I highly doubt people in Ecuador are right now fuming over this great injustice.

Guest Moneyball

If you really care about this topic. Shouldn't you be chastising people from Africa who call themselves African. Their country isn't the only country in Africa. Is that disrespectful to the other people of Africa? Or Australia because it often gets refered to as a continent even though they're other countries in that continental region?

I assume, you could care less about this actual topic. Just using as a way to paint Americans as the most ignorant scum to walk the planet.

Why do you honestly care what a people decide to call themselves? Do you even know why we're called America? We got the name from Amerigo Vespucci, and so it's seems natural to call ourselves Americans. It's nonsense to say it's being rude and disrespectful, because I highly doubt people in Ecuador are right now fuming over this great injustice.

846356[/snapback]

You're my new hero.

Talk about being POLITICALLY CORRECT. People like that are the real scum. Just like people on the other side of the spectrum. They are real scum too.

BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST OUTGROWTH OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT. So get rid of it. Who cares what we call ourselves. Do the citizens of San Salvador cry out at the fact that we call ourselves Americans? No. No one cares. Maybe a tiny percentage of people do. But they are so incredibly miniscule (sp?) that it doesn't matter.

Guest Moneyball

Jesus Christ.

846292[/snapback]

United Statesians...

846810[/snapback]

:plain

United Stateites

Rune ...

I simply find it anoying when people say american ... I can understand it here but it is just unfortunate that there isnt a term that suits it properly

as someone already said the whole "Estado Unidense" thing works, but when you hear that someone says they are american outside of the united states, it kinda bothers you a bit more. since there are those that consider themselves south americans even though they are from ecuador ... why should someone call themselves american when it is such a big land, seems a little selfish

americans is a loose term

and btw .... there isnt a country named "africa" ... you got south africa and that works but there isnt an africa.

you might have a problem with people from Niger and Nigeria ... since they would be sound like nigerians but still