Taylor Vs Hopkins

Rune

Tonight, on PPV. I can't wait. One of the top prospects in the sport who has yet to face any real trouble going up against one of the best of this era, Bernard Hopkins.

I always pull for Hopkins just for the fact that he's a philly fighter who changed his life for the better after being released from prison and hasn't looked back. However, I'm pulling for Taylor just because the sport needs new blood on top.

However, I'm picking Hopkins :confused

I like Hopkins although he can make his fights ugly sometimes , if he doesnt grow old overnight he beats Taylor pretty easily. Taylor imo has fought no one even in a weak middleweight division most of his opponents were old welters and jr middles moving up who werent all that good to begin with. Trinidad and Hopkins ruined Joppy so I dont put too much stock in Taylors win over Joppy. Taylor has talent but is untested even at 40 I think Hopkins will probably win a 117-111 type decision. As to Forrest talented but usually in boring fights against Mosley my god 24 rounds of ZZZZZZ not even sure if there is a big name opponent out there for him. BTW what has happened to HBO in the last 2 years the only fights that good fights are on ppv two years ago this is on regular HBO . HBO is killing the sport :thumbdown

Hopkins loses by a split decesion. Point blank, Hopkins fought like a coward up until the 9th when he exploded and one the last four rounds. However, unline Hopkins. Taylor never stopped coming and fought like a true champion. Hopkins fought like a yellow coward until he finally heated up and won the last rounds.

Hopkins was a disgrace to the city of Philadelphia tonight. He deserved to lose the title and I salute the new star of boxing.

Hopkins loses by a split decesion. Point blank, Hopkins fought like a coward up until the 9th when he exploded and one the last four rounds. However, unline Hopkins. Taylor never stopped coming and fought like a true champion. Hopkins fought like a yellow coward until he finally heated up and won the last rounds.

Hopkins was a disgrace to the city of Philadelphia tonight. He deserved to lose the title and I salute the new star of boxing.

859386[/snapback]

I didnt see the fight is it worth checking out ?? most accounts of it I read it was boring . AS to yellow coward if he didnt throw punches probably a function of age the last few fights Hopkins has looked like Holyfield right before his decline still physically cut in tip top shape but reflexes gone, and cant pull the trigger. Nonetheless tip my cap to Taylor I didnt think he was up to the challenge ....wouldnt mind seeing him move up to fight Jeff Lacey

859386[/snapback]

LOL!

Your post has to be one of the worst of all-time. Hopkins fought like a coward and is a yellow coward?

I am a big Taylor fan and a very big fan of boxing and to me, Hopkins fought amazing. He fought like a 40-year-old fighter who knew he had to use more strategy to have a chance and maybe started his onslaught a round to late. He won round five and easily won rounds 9-12, and those right there equal 5 rounds. He arguably won 1-2 more as well. I think this fight should have ended in a draw personally and for Hopkins to lose the fight on a card because the judge gave Taylor round 12, which Hopkins easily won, is pathetic. If you saw the post fight, Hopkins was the one without any marks on his face and the stamina to finish.

And calling him a disgrace to the city of Philly tonight? Laughable.

You are more a disgrace to your parents.

Wow, you're a clever one "I'm a disgrace to my parents". This truly hurts my feelings, playground tactics are just a stake in the heart.

As for my comment, I admit I was went a little over the line with the whole coward comment, however Hopkins still fought like he was high. I don't care whether you were a closer or not, you have to at least engage your opponent. He wasn't even throwing! Working slow might work against Howard Eastman, but it wasn't Howard Eastman this was his first legitimate great middleweight he had fought since Roy Jones. He didn't approach it like that, he fought like this was Bernard's world and everyone else is an idiot.

His trainer was completely high, constantly reassuring B-Hop that this fight was in the bag and calling for outside shots despite the fact that Taylor has a much longer reach. Hopkins was most effective inside throwing that right.

So, take your little childish insults and go spew them somewhere else. Grow up

Wow, you're a clever one "I'm a disgrace to my parents". This truly hurts my feelings, playground tactics are just a stake in the heart.

As for my comment, I admit I was went a little over the line with the whole coward comment, however Hopkins still fought like he was high. I don't care whether you were a closer or not, you have to at least engage your opponent. He wasn't even throwing! Working slow might work against Howard Eastman, but it wasn't Howard Eastman this was his first legitimate great middleweight he had fought since Roy Jones. He didn't approach it like that, he fought like this was Bernard's world and everyone else is an idiot.

His trainer was completely high, constantly reassuring B-Hop that this fight was in the bag and calling for outside shots despite the fact that Taylor has a much longer reach. Hopkins was most effective inside throwing that right.

So, take your little childish insults and go spew them somewhere else. Grow up

859402[/snapback]

Did it ever occur to you that the man is 40-years-old?

Did it occur to you that several people had Hopkins winning and this was VERY close fight and could have gone EITHER WAY?

Nope, of course not. You just would rather take your lame shots at a fighter you don't like and call him a "coward", "yellow coward" and a "disgrace to his city". Man you are soooo cool!

For as bad as Hopkins started, Taylor finished just as bad. Taylor easily won round 1-4 and hopkins easily won round 9-12, with many of the middle rounds close and able to go either way. Maybe you saw a different fight then everyone else did.

Hopkins fought a very smart fight and really for the most part outfought Taylor. Maybe his inactivity lasted a round to long, but when push came to shove, it was Hopkins dishing out the punishment whenever some occured. Taylor should be a better fighter for the rematch and I see him winning that more easily, but this fight was a very close fight and you seem ignorant with your comments about Hopkins.

Did it ever occur to you that the man is 40-years-old?

Yeah, it did and it also occured to me that the man has fought like this before when he was much younger and Hopkins is probably the biggest workhorse in the sport outside of Pretty Boy Floyd. To simply say that it was age is a joke. He almost always fights like this but it's usually against the likes of Howard Eastman and Keith Holmes.

Did it occur to you that several people had Hopkins winning and this was VERY close fight and could have gone EITHER WAY?

Yeah it could have gone either way, however for the most part the rounds were clear cut

Nope, of course not. You just would rather take your lame shots at a fighter you don't like and call him a "coward", "yellow coward" and a "disgrace to his city". Man you are soooo cool!

I don't like? Hopkins is one of my favorite fighters of all time which is why I have two of his fight posters on the wall. Bandit, don't try to make accusations when you are completely in the dark. I became a fan of the dude when I knew he was from Philly and the fact that he had come from the prison my dad worked out. I only rooted for Taylor tonight because I know that Boxing desperatly needs a brand new star because the one's of the 90's are dying out. I'm a fan of the sport before any single fighter. So keep on making blind accusations.

For as bad as Hopkins started, Taylor finished just as bad. Taylor easily won round 1-4 and hopkins easily won round 9-12, with many of the middle rounds close and able to go either way. Maybe you saw a different fight then everyone else did.

Their is no doubt, Taylor got beat in the final rounds. Anyone who argues that did not see the fight. What I did see was a guy who was hesistant for the early part of the fight essentially waiting for spots that were not there at the time. He got the edge late but again a brilliant 4 rounds of boxing can not win you a 12 round fight.

I fully admit, that I made an inane comment on the whole coward remark. I was still psyched from Taylor winning the fight. He's no coward, but you said he fought a brilliant fight? He fought brilliant in parts of the fights. It was the other parts that did him in. I don't buy it was his age because their have been no signs of him slowing down in the recent past and as I commented, the guy is a workhorse. He has a strict diet and as Max said earlier in the night, The fact that he's been able to maintain that weight is a testament to his conditioning.

You seem to be missing the point. When I bring up his age, I am pointing out that he knows he can not box for 3 minutes every round and mix it up and be able to finish the fight like a young fighter can. Therefore, he has to rely on his gameplan and strategy. Tonight, it was to hang around and let Taylor tire himself out by chasing him and carrying the fight early and take over midway through. He executed his plan beautifuly, however, maybe a round to late. You act like Hopkins didn't try in any of rounds 1-8.

You act like this was such an easy call and was so lopsided that Hopkins was never even in it. It is pretty ironic the majority of the commentators and those at ringside had it either for Hopkins or a draw.

Maybe it is also ironic that Hopkins margin of victory on one judges card was 116-112, clearly showing how close many of the middle rounds were. The other cards were both 115-113. However, one of those includes giving Taylor round 12, which even you admitted that Hopkins won. If that had been scored correctly, we would have had a draw.

There also have been signs of his physical ability slowing down, it is more his mental ability to dominate that has let him continue with such remarkable success. A clear example was tonight, as it was a very close fight, despite Taylor's clear physical advantages. You keep bringing up Howard Eastman, but Hopkins was 40 when he fought him too. Look at the footage when he was a younger fighter and you will see a much different style of attack and willingness to mix it up earlier.

Bottom line is your comments have been ignorant tonight and if you want to act knowledgable on the boxing subject and taken seriously as the "expert" you think you are, then you should make accurate claims.

yaaaaaaaaer...... rune most def got pwned.......

i had a feeling hopkin was gonna lose.... due to the fact that he is 40 and fighting somebody that is 14 years younger than he is and taylor is hitting his prime.......

i didnt watch the fight i had friend call me and tell me the bad news......

well time to hang em up, i guess the ? is would you still consider hopkins as one the best eva?

in my opnion "i do."

and just 4 no damn reason i also wanna say " De la Hoya is a Bitch, i will always consider him as one the biggest how Biacchez to eva fight, Xcept the Vargas fight."

I'm late to the party, but here is my 2 cents since I had the opportunity to watch the repeat last night.

I've been a Hopkins hater for a long time . . .

But I don't think you detrone a 10 year champ like this. Hopkins deserved a draw at the bare minimum. If every other champ out there get the benefit of the doubt, why wasn't Hopkins given a chance?

He dominated the total and power punches and did the most damage, his only fault was being a bit too passive in the first 5 rounds. But he was the Champ.

Taylor seems to have a big heart, but his Defense is lacking. I don't think he will last long as a champ.