No 3-way AND Marlins still may have to eat salary!

from today's Herald:

All that now appears to be holding up the deal with Baltimore is how much of Lowell's remaining salary the Marlins would agree to pay to complete the trade. Lowell is due to make about $21 million before his contract runs out after the 2007 season.

The Orioles would make the trade because of their strong desire for Burnett, and they might have been the only taker the Marlins could find who would also accept Lowell in the deal. The Toronto Blue Jays and Chicago White Sox also were interested in obtaining Burnett but backed out because they would not agree to a package that contained the Marlins' third baseman.

The Marlins would receive Orioles pitching prospect Hayden Penn, reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Admin Bigbie and perhaps left-handed reliever Steve Kline in the deal. The Orioles asked that, instead of Penn, the Marlins take veteran starter Sidney Ponson to help offset Lowell's salary.

But Florida balked, telling the Orioles they had no interest in Ponson.

The deal was almost finalized during the day Monday, and one of the Orioles involved in the proposed trade was told to pack his clothes and equipment, only to be told later to unpack. The Orioles are currently in Minnesota.

Another rumored three-team trade also involving the Pittsburgh Pirates that was reported to be in the works by numerous media outlets turned out to be untrue.

Looks like neither of the Reeds (Eric and Steve) are involved in this deal but that the Marlins still have to pony up $$$ to get Baltimore to take Lowell.

Part of the problem is that Burnett's being a b!tch. He clearly wants to get traded, but is screwing over the Marlins because he won't negotiate with the O's during the season. If the O's knew they could re-up Burnett to a ltd, they might either: 1) substitute Cabrera for Penn or 2) not ask us to pay a portion of Lowell's salary. The O's uncertainty in being able to resign Burnett is driving their price down.

This blows.

:thumbdown

Sorry , but even with a long term deal signed by Burnett the Orioles are never going to give up Daniel. There would be rioting in the streets of Baltimore if they gave up D-Cab for a pitcher with a sub .500 record no matter how good his stuff is.

Heh, throw in Encarnacion and you may have a bite by the O's without an extension being signed and them taking all of Lowell's contract on.

How about:

a Trade with Boston:

Red Sox get:

AJ Burnett

Mike Lowell

Billy The Marlin

3 of the hottest Mermaids

We Get:

Manny Ramirez

David Ortiz

The Power to DH and still have our pitchers hit, so we have 10 batters in the starting line-up

The Green Monster (Yes, I mean the wall in left field, not their mascot)

Pesky's Pole

and a bag of peanuts

There ya go.

If we're going to have to pay for a lot of Mikeys salary we might as well keep him.

864838[/snapback]

wow man i agree with this thing...we are paying enough backloaded contract and paying for people that don't wear Marlins uniforms....if we have to pick up any of the contracts....i would say no go....but whatever...Admin hasn't let us down yet...that is just my opinion

Still paying for:

Pudge

Hampton

and now you want us to pay for Lowell....that is alot of money on the payroll for people not playing in teel :thumbdown

the o's are in a very tight playoff race and it boggels my mind that that's all there willing to give us.......

Hayden Penn? 2-2 with a 6.75 ERA, im not going through a Jermey Bonderman experince from 03 just to get what the tiger got from bonderman this year.......

Bigbie 27 years old 257 AVG 4 bombs and 19 RBI's EWWWWWWW

Julio i like this kid, hasnt given up a run all month but makes 2.5 mil a year and

we cant so much better if dont offer lowell......

give me Julio, Ryan, and Chris Ray........ and ill be fine with that if not look somewhere else

and lowell is getting is swing back incase people aren't seeein it

How about:

a Trade with Boston:

Red Sox get:

AJ Burnett

Mike Lowell

Billy The Marlin

We Get:

Manny Ramirez

David Ortiz

The Power to DH and still have our pitchers hit, so we have 10 batters in the starting line-up

Pesky's Pole

and a bag of peanuts

There ya go.

864875[/snapback]

Are they the good fresh roasted and salty peanuts or the crappy ones? Hmmm. Instead of Ortiz can we have Schilling's bloody sock?

:notworthy

How about:

a Trade with Boston:

Red Sox get:

AJ Burnett

Mike Lowell

Billy The Marlin

We Get:

Manny Ramirez

David Ortiz

Pesky's Pole

and a bag of peanuts

There ya go.

864875[/snapback]

Are they the good fresh roasted and salty peanuts or the crappy ones? Hmmm. Instead of Ortiz can we have Schilling's bloody sock?

:notworthy

864895[/snapback]

The good peanuts, and we get Ortiz AND the bloody sock! :)

the o's are in a very tight playoff race and it boggels my mind that that's all there willing to give us.......

Hayden Penn? 2-2 with a 6.75 ERA, im not going through a Jermey Bonderman experince from 03 just to get what the tiger got from bonderman this year.......

Bigbie 27 years old 257 AVG 4 bombs and 19 RBI's EWWWWWWW

Julio i like this kid, hasnt given up a run all month but makes 2.5 mil a year and

we cant so much better if dont offer lowell......

give me Julio, Ryan, and Chris Ray........ and ill be fine with that if not look somewhere else

and lowell is getting is swing back incase people aren't seeein it

864892[/snapback]

It would take what benderorbot posted to make most of you happy...

How about:

a Trade with Boston:

Red Sox get:

AJ Burnett

Mike Lowell

Billy The Marlin

We Get:

Manny Ramirez

David Ortiz

Pesky's Pole

and a bag of peanuts

There ya go.

864875[/snapback]

Everything looks pretty good... except that bag of peanuts. It doesn't mention salt so it isn't worth the risk.

the? o's? are? in? a? very tight playoff race? and? it? boggels? my mind? that? that's all? there willing to give? us.......

Hayden Penn?? 2-2? with a? 6.75 ERA,? im not? going? through? a Jermey Bonderman experince? from 03? just? to? get what the tiger? got? from? bonderman? this year.......

Bigbie 27? years? old? 257 AVG? 4 bombs and 19 RBI's EWWWWWWW

Julio? i like? this? kid,? hasnt given? up a run? all month? but? makes 2.5 mil a? year? and?

we cant so? much better? if dont offer? lowell......

give me? Julio, Ryan, and Chris Ray........? and ill be fine with that? if? not? look? somewhere else

and lowell is getting is swing? back? incase people? aren't seeein it

864892[/snapback]

There's no market for AJ, especially at the asking price. The Yanks have no prospects to deal, the Red Sox don't want to trade Hanley, the Blue Jays aren't going to pay out the ass for AJ and risk losing him, and the White Sox really don't need him enough to meet the price and can get a good end of the rotation guy cheaper at the deadline.

The O's are the only team that really needs him AND can actually afford to take a risk on him.

And Lowell is crap, you guys know it. He's nowhere near the same player he was prior to the 2004 ASB and is continually getting worse. RIght now it seems the FO is just trying to package him with AJ to dump his salary after this season and maybe make a run a a player or two this offseason.

Either way this isn't looking good for the Marlins.

nothing makes me happy....... ya know what im gonnaa start a rumor and see how far its get's on the internet......

yep, thats whaat im gonna do....... now if this rumor gets posted here than i know i did my job.....

proving any idiot can say stuff and people will eat it up like a fat person with a cheese cake......

i give it 3 hours to see how far my rumor will get, this way i wont be soo bored in ssayin marlins suck, we suck,

Updated then:

Red Sox get:

AJ Burnett

Mike Lowell

Billy The Marlin

a grain of sand from the pitchers mount

We Get:

Manny Ramirez

David Ortiz

Pesky's Pole

a bag of salty roasted peanuts

Schilling's bloody sock

Johnny Damon's beard

The Red Sox opposing teams bullpen

The Coke Bottles in left

The Light towers in left

If the marlins dont have to pay to much then do it, if they have to pay a good amount of it, they are better of keeping Lowell and seeing if he can do anything this year.

If Burnett wont resign with anyone they will just have to trade him by himself to some team for alot less because it would be only half a year.

Guest Moneyball

And Lowell is crap, you guys know it. He's nowhere near the same player he was prior to the 2004 ASB and is continually getting worse. RIght now it seems the FO is just trying to package him with AJ to dump his salary after this season and maybe make a run a a player or two this offseason.

Stats say otherwise.

April- .198 .233 .346

May- .202 .263 .310

June- .250 .310 .348

July- .306 .358 .469

Updated then:

Red Sox get:

AJ Burnett

Mike Lowell

Billy The Marlin

a grain of sand from the pitchers mount

We Get:

Manny Ramirez

David Ortiz

Pesky's Pole

a bag of salty roasted peanuts

Schilling's bloody sock

Johnny Damon's beard

The Red Sox opposing teams bullpen

The Coke Bottles in left

The Light towers in left

864916[/snapback]

No Fenway Franks, no deal, man. Maybe the Fish can toss in some arepas. Also I know you were going after the Wall but if that falls through, I'd gladly take the plush mascot doll that the NESN announcers have in the booth...I realize that nobody outside of New England knows what I'm talking about, so here's the pic, c/o The Remy Report:

Oh yeah and by the way...this deal without the Pirates involved sucks.

Stats say otherwise.

April- .198 .233 .346

May- .202 .263 .310

June- .250 .310 .348

July- .306 .358 .469

864927[/snapback]

Half a month does not a season make. The past 3 years his numbers have began to decline.

Guest Moneyball

Stats say otherwise.

April- .198 .233 .346

May- .202 .263 .310

June- .250 .310 .348

July- .306 .358 .469

864927[/snapback]

Half a month does not a season make. The past 3 years his numbers have began to decline.

864938[/snapback]

His numbers have gone up last 3 months.

He's slowly coming out of it.